Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #10,906 of 13,134
  I am indeed a metal dude! And hoo boy I have been all over the place in the interim. I think my list went like this (roughly in order):

1. Philips X1
  2. HD600
  3. HD650
  4. AKG K712
  5. EL-8O
  6. Audioquest Nighthawk
  7. Beyer DT990
  8. HD700
  9. HD650

And back to the 2, although before I just had the regular 2.2, now the 2F. I'd initially avoided the F because it seemed like the prevailing opinion was that the fazor ruined the "Audeze sound" and whatnot. It's been a few years since I heard the 2.2 but the F sounds stunning. 

Wow! That is a journey, but bet it was fun :) 

I've been out of the metal world for a while. Any recommendations for something that would blow my mind from a production quality standpoint? anything intensely grand, or with vast emotional depth? I'm more of a classical music head but will take time to immerse myself in genres like metal once and while (usually once a decade) just to check in. In the past I've like stuff from Opeth, At the Drive In, Mastadon, Ruins, Slayer, Megadeth, Napalm Death, some Dream Theater. But if there is something even more psychadelic or mind-altering, even if its instrumental I'm game. 

I've been going through a bit of a headphone churn. It probably (does) seem crazy to my partner, who lovingly refers to LCD2 as 'hamburgers'. But, it is the only real way to gain an appreciation for audio - in alls its subjective and objective glory.

I've just added a new headphone, one that is a real sleeper. The Sennheiser HD250 Linear. Talk about incredibly smooth, balanced yet with detail. I think its fair to say anyone that likes the linearity of the LCD2 would like the HD250. Quickly going between the two, the HD250 is more recessed in the mid range than the LCD2. Sometimes I feel the LCD2 is a bit too much mid centric. The 250 strikes a balance between the LCD2 and say a Denon AH-D2000. The mids are still flat, and overall this does sound like a Senn. Vocals are excellent on both, but more pronounced on the LCD2. The HD250 doesn't sound as stuffy as many closed headphones, hihats and snares are as good as the LCD2. Though the differences between the frequency curves makes the highs and bass stand out on the 250. The LCD2, with its more forward mids, will strike you more immediately. The 250 may be a bit, 'pillowy' (?) in comparison. I think the LCD2 is near-perfect in many ways. I'm just kinda shocked how close this old headphone is!

Soundstage is pretty much the same between these too, given their somewhat similar presentation, the LCD2 is naturally wider being open. Really, really smooth, without any loss of detail. I've read many other forum posts (mostly Graham Slee and Rockboard) talking about this set and some variations in production quality. Looks like I got a gem. Its pretty much the balanced signature I've been searching for, even more so than the LCD2. Technically, the LCD2 may a bit cleaner, but really hard to say, honestly. The HD250 is a headphone that you might right off on first listen. There isn't much missing between the two of these headphones. So if you want a closed version of the LCD2, that pushes the mid-range down, but has equally smooth and linear highs/lows with just a bit more 'air', oh and lighter, closed, but harder to drive then check these out. The result the HD250 is going to kick more, and this may be too much for some, but sounds right to me. 

I have the D2000, and I it may punch a little bit lower, relative frequency curves aside, and with less distortion, but it is also a bit bright and splashy. The D2000 is an awesome headphone, but the 250 really is more accurate while having many of the same qualities. At 600ohm, you can really pour some juice into it, and turn it up without bleeding your ears - kinda like the LCD2. The D2000 ups certain frequency ranges, it gives you a bit more fun, more colour, but that can tire. Put the 250 on, turn it up and you get a thicker yet more full sound. Nothing tinny, no harshness. 

I think my experience with headphones lately really underscores how important just frequency balance is. The HD250 is a few decades old, kinda like the HD25. But both still rock because they get this portion right (the 250 even more so). While I can see that there are some new technologies being introduced, its really giving me pause, that this decades old headphone is arguably as good as something from today. How much of an illusion are we under thinking we are hearing some esoteric aspect of a headphone, when really it boils down mostly to the frequency curve? The HD250 nails it. Get the distortion down, as well any resonance and it should be the most accurate headphone made. :/  Instead, it gets discontinued, then revived as the Linear II, and pushed into obscurity, then finally axed with no replacement.

I like modern headphones. HD800 and HD700 for example. I know there is something weird going on with my 700s, though, and in some ways they are totally unbalanced to pull off their weird signature (sort of like a modern fighter plane that would crash if it wasn't for its CPU controlled fly-by-wire). The HD700 has a sea-shell like chamber that does something really strange that combined with the frequency curve makes it sound like you are in large bubble of sound. I love it. But the 250 is more faithful and honest. It has arguably all the detail of the HD700 and perhaps as much as the 800! All the while being less fatiguing. 

Got the HD250 for $175 Canadian, and I'm having to reevaluate some of my headphones. I knew this might happen. Don't worry, the LCD2 will survive the upcoming churn - most likely. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #10,907 of 13,134
I defo enjoyed the journey! That's pretty crazy about the HD250. I'm curious to look into 'em myself now.

As for well produced metal, I've certainly got my picks, but it also depends on what kinda metal you'd like to dip into! One of my go-tos, especially with the LCD-2 now, is Batushka's Litourgiya. It's one of the best albums I've heard in ages if you like some black/death goodness with gregorian chants mixed in. 

I frequently fire up Dolven's Navigating the Labyrinth, which despite being totally acoustic still has a really cool doom metal feel to it. Bossk's Audio Noir has a great feel to it as well. I admit I'm not the world's best gauge of dynamic range, I can just tell you when the individual instruments sound like they have life to them.

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #10,908 of 13,134
If you liked Mastodon before their brand-new album Emperor of Sand is outstanding! They are back to concept albums and I like it much more than their last two.

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #10,909 of 13,134
Random Q: is there a decent dedicated DAC to pair with a tube amp for these? I'm using my Elemental Watson (seeeeeeexy combo BTW) however I think my DAC is less than inspiring on account of being a mic interface. Any help would be appreciated!

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #10,912 of 13,134
  I've been out of the metal world for a while. Any recommendations for something that would blow my mind from a production quality standpoint? anything intensely grand, or with vast emotional depth? I'm more of a classical music head but will take time to immerse myself in genres like metal once and while (usually once a decade) just to check in. In the past I've like stuff from Opeth, At the Drive In, Mastadon, Ruins, Slayer, Megadeth, Napalm Death, some Dream Theater. But if there is something even more psychadelic or mind-altering, even if its instrumental I'm game. 

Check out the Let's Talk Metal thread, always fun stuff there: http://www.head-fi.org/t/397407/lets-talk-metal/

As far as some recommendations off the top of my head...
Animals As Leaders - Cafo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc

Gorguts - Colored Sands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DgPGkk4HNA

Artificial Brain - Labyrinth Constellation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCHTe-J9h20

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #10,913 of 13,134
I'd be leary about suggesting tech-death to someone who's less inclined to the ultra heavy. 
beyersmile.png

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #10,914 of 13,134
  I'd be leary about suggesting tech-death to someone who's less inclined to the ultra heavy. 
beyersmile.png

They key words I saw were "intensely grand, or with vast emotional depth" which I really liked, and which struck a chord with me for those bands immediately, so I had to suggest them. We all have a different definition of what is beautiful and grand, and even if he's into mostly Classical, I still think there are elements of Gorguts especially that check the same boxes for me. Luc Lemay is a genius on so many levels and I hope people can appreciate it.

I know that 100% of the people I've tried to get to listen to Gorgus and Artificial Brain look at me like I'm totally nuts after I turn it on, but eh, I keep trying anyway! I find that Animals As Leaders is pretty easy for a lot of people to digest, though, and works as a nice lead in to heavier technical music. Artificial Brain is much harder for people to understand in my experience. The dissonant and unsettling nature of their guitar work is absolutely enthralling to me, while to most people it's like nails on a chalk board. People's reactions to it fascinate me. I will say that as much as I love AB, they continue to tour with Pyrrhon, and I absolutely don't understand why people like them at all, there's nothing there for me. Crazy stuff.

Anyway, I really like where this thread has been going, even if some of the discussion has been misinterpreted, it's all good stuff. Really shows how differently people listen, how a frame of reference is absolutely important, and how fantastic the LCD-2 is. Plus the metalheads have come out of the woodwork yet again, and I always love that.

@Zyklonius needs to come back. He's the coolest. I see him lurking on the currently viewing. What have you been listening to?

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #10,915 of 13,134
  They key words I saw were "intensely grand, or with vast emotional depth" which I really liked, and which struck a chord with me for those bands immediately, so I had to suggest them. We all have a different definition of what is beautiful and grand, and even if he's into mostly Classical, I still think there are elements of Gorguts especially that check the same boxes for me. Luc Lemay is a genius on so many levels and I hope people can appreciate it.

I know that 100% of the people I've tried to get to listen to Gorgus and Artificial Brain look at me like I'm totally nuts after I turn it on, but eh, I keep trying anyway! I find that Animals As Leaders is pretty easy for a lot of people to digest, though, and works as a nice lead in to heavier technical music. Artificial Brain is much harder for people to understand in my experience. The dissonant and unsettling nature of their guitar work is absolutely enthralling to me, while to most people it's like nails on a chalk board. People's reactions to it fascinate me. I will say that as much as I love AB, they continue to tour with Pyrrhon, and I absolutely don't understand why people like them at all, there's nothing there for me. Crazy stuff.

Anyway, I really like where this thread has been going, even if some of the discussion has been misinterpreted, it's all good stuff. Really shows how differently people listen, how a frame of reference is absolutely important, and how fantastic the LCD-2 is. Plus the metalheads have come out of the woodwork yet again, and I always love that.

@Zyklonius needs to come back. He's the coolest. I see him lurking on the currently viewing. What have you been listening to?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Gorguts fan (less Artificial Brain), just saying those are the deep end of the pool, y'know? Can't just throw someone in there haha. I also don't like that it's said that you either "understand" them or you don't, some people understand them fully but don't enjoy the sound. I've done plenty of musical theory courses and trained with instruments, it doesn't mean I'm obligated to like music by sheer virtue of it being complex. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #10,916 of 13,134

@sludgeogre thank you for the recommendations. I could see how Animal and Leaders are more digestable. I liked it, and Artificial Brain, Gorguts less so. 

It is amazing how music works - an arrangement of sinewaves, of different lengths, in a certain order, placed at different points in time, are interpreted like strands of DNA to each listener. Triggering different memories, and mental states.

While I like a lot of technical metal, its just not my persona. I mean when I was younger I liked industrial music, Skinny Puppy, Fear Factory, Front 242, etc. but then moved into early techno music, hip hop, ambient, electro acoustic, then jazz, soul, and eventually classical. Some music I listen to I know is probably awful to many, but I listen to it more for the overall frequency, tempo and just how my mind reacts to it. Most psy-trance, techno and metal to me are kind of adrenal stimulant.

Most of the time I just listen to nature sounds, rain, thunder, forest soundscapes. In some ways, its the ultimate. They are sounds that are primordial and can be calming and stimulating in different ways. The LCD2 is pretty good for this listening, I imagine the Fazor versions may fair better. My LCD2 is a bit too dark up top. Still, listening to binaural thunder over the LCD2 is pretty incredible. Needs to a be a good recording though, not much on youtube is very good (I recommend the Naturespace app with their thundergods pack).

Oh and did someone say nails on a chalk board? Have them sit down and listen to this.  https://youtu.be/Q-cWg3a1b1I - I actually like this stuff. Seriously, don't just skip through, just see how long you can last through it. :) its worth a listen on those LCD2s.

Actually, as a composer/mathematician Xenakis is seminal. A number of modern music approaches, such as atonal, would probably not be where they are at today.  Its hard to understand how music like this has an effect, but once that drop hits the pond of consciousness, it seeps into cinema, memory, other compositions, and it changes us. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #10,917 of 13,134
2eclectic4me

Haha but seriously tho, i find my favourite types of music to listen to on the lcd2 are the types which resemble its sound signature; relaxing, warm, satisfying, lush.
So soul, jazz (specifically latin jazz and bossa-nova), classic rock, blues, house.
For instance on this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWU2TDE0eyI , the lower string registers have a visceral effect that i haven't had on other headphones.

I like that way you think @SomeGuyDude
Most people think their own taste in music is better than everyone else's. I also dislike usage of the term "understand" when it comes to music... eveyone is different and what they choose to listen to is a reflection of that. 

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:49 AM Post #10,918 of 13,134
  Don't get me wrong, I'm a Gorguts fan (less Artificial Brain), just saying those are the deep end of the pool, y'know? Can't just throw someone in there haha. I also don't like that it's said that you either "understand" them or you don't, some people understand them fully but don't enjoy the sound. I've done plenty of musical theory courses and trained with instruments, it doesn't mean I'm obligated to like music by sheer virtue of it being complex. 

Totally! You're absolutely right, I just like throwing it out there to hear what people think. I agree that understanding or dissecting music matters at all, it's just about if you like it or not. Something that's complex or technical doesn't mean it's great. There's plenty of weedly-weedly technical music that's just people playing scales really fast. Boring. I just wish I knew what it was that set some music apart as beautiful and others as "what the hell is this?"

@sludgeogre thank you for the recommendations. I could see how Animal and Leaders are more digestable. I liked it, and Artificial Brain, Gorguts less so. 

It is amazing how music works - an arrangement of sinewaves, of different lengths, in a certain order, placed at different points in time, are interpreted like strands of DNA to each listener. Triggering different memories, and mental states.

While I like a lot of technical metal, its just not my persona. I mean when I was younger I liked industrial music, Skinny Puppy, Fear Factory, Front 242, etc. but then moved into early techno music, hip hop, ambient, electro acoustic, then jazz, soul, and eventually classical. Some music I listen to I know is probably awful to many, but I listen to it more for the overall frequency, tempo and just how my mind reacts to it. Most psy-trance, techno and metal to me are kind of adrenal stimulant.

Most of the time I just listen to nature sounds, rain, thunder, forest soundscapes. In some ways, its the ultimate. They are sounds that are primordial and can be calming and stimulating in different ways. The LCD2 is pretty good for this listening, I imagine the Fazor versions may fair better. My LCD2 is a bit too dark up top. Still, listening to binaural thunder over the LCD2 is pretty incredible. Needs to a be a good recording though, not much on youtube is very good (I recommend the Naturespace app with their thundergods pack).

Oh and did someone say nails on a chalk board? Have them sit down and listen to this.  https://youtu.be/Q-cWg3a1b1I - I actually like this stuff. Seriously, don't just skip through, just see how long you can last through it. :) its worth a listen on those LCD2s.

Actually, as a composer/mathematician Xenakis is seminal. A number of modern music approaches, such as atonal, would probably not be where they are at today.  Its hard to understand how music like this has an effect, but once that drop hits the pond of consciousness, it seeps into cinema, memory, other compositions, and it changes us. 

Indeed, I thought it would be as much, I just like to throw it out there =)

I agree, it is amazing. I wish I understood more about it.

I enjoy this ambient music to a degree. There's quite a lot of atmospheric metal out there, actually, this totally reminds me of a lot of albums I've heard. It also reminds me, to a lesser degree, of noise projects that I've seen and heard. Guys stringing a spring across a tin box and running it through a bunch of pedals while headbanging. Crazy stuff. This is obviously a lot more intricate and pretty than that, but if you love this, maybe try this Agalloch song. I'm sure others here can chime in with some really cool ambient stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1x8q64NXxA

Agalloch also really liked to incorporate natural sounds into their music, and many bands in the folk metal area have used nature sounds in their music and as inspiration for it. Halfway through the song The Hawthorne Passage, they play a long passage of sound from the Hawthorne bridge in the middle of Portland, Oregon, which is a halfway point of sorts in the city, a pathway from one part of the city to a totally different one. It's one of my all time favorite songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va3BQ65-5HI

For some reason I feel like I have to throw out Jesu as well, it's beautiful and entrancing stuff that sounds beautiful on the LCD-2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXnI2qCe-EM

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #10,919 of 13,134
My LCD2F just arrived 10 minutes ago. Lovely looking wood. Only had a couple of songs through them so far, but I like them. Sound a lot like the LCD3 I demoed - similar levels of bass and mids from memory, but have a bit more treble, but not too much for my sensitive ears. I think I'm going to like these. Jan '17 build date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back