Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #7,172 of 13,134
Just bring out a "new" pre-Fazor version - there's lots of LCD-2 revisions already, why not LCD-2 and LCD-2F side by side?

It seems Audeze "F'd" up some what, why not give the fans of old what they want?
I think you should hear the new fazor first. It does not have the weird harsh treble of my previous 2 fazors.

As far as I'm concerned Audezes main flaw is a lack of upper midrange presence that really puts the last touches of emotion and realism into vocals. But from graphs, even prefazor has this problem

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #7,173 of 13,134
Yeah upper mids have always been pushed back with the LCD-2. With the pre fazor it wasn't as bad as the treble was also lower in level and more refined, smooth. The fazor has a high treble so voices sound even more recessed and the treble also stands out more. I've heard a current one and it does have more bas response than other fazors but the treble issues are still there. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #7,174 of 13,134
I think you should hear the new fazor first. It does not have the weird harsh treble of my previous 2 fazors.

As far as I'm concerned Audezes main flaw is a lack of upper midrange presence that really puts the last touches of emotion and realism into vocals. But from graphs, even prefazor has this problem

It might seem that way, but the treble was also less, which brought out the mids more in the pre-fazor. At that time, the pre-fazor was considered a direct upgrade from the HD650, as they had a very similar sound signature with the pre-fazor enhancing the sound in all aspects compared to the HD650.

This is not the case now of course, as the fazor changed the sound too much. Those who love a brighter soud instead of a lush, dark sound would prefer the fazor of course. Unfortunately for me, what drew me to the LCD2 was the magical dark and lush sound signature.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the advantages the HD650 had over the pre-fazors were comfort and soundstage.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #7,175 of 13,134

I'm kind of a graphs guy, can you tell what kind of kilohertz's we are talking about?

I remember buying my rev.1's and hearing about a fall-off on upper mids, I tried briefly to EQ it, but forgot about it completely after a while.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #7,176 of 13,134
I'm kind of a graphs guy, can you tell what kind of kilohertz's we are talking about?

I remember buying my rev.1's and hearing about a fall-off on upper mids, I tried briefly to EQ it, but forgot about it completely after a while.
2-5k region. Which is a large area but that gives a lot of airy breathiness to voices I've found. Voices through the LCD2s never quiver. They lack that last bit of fragility that can be heard through something like the Koss 950.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #7,178 of 13,134
2-5k region. Which is a large area but that gives a lot of airy breathiness to voices I've found. Voices through the LCD2s never quiver. They lack that last bit of fragility that can be heard through something like the Koss 950.

I guess it just comes down to personal taste then, which is what this hobby is truly about.

To me, I never really minded or seem to notice because it just seemed 'right' to me. Just my preferences I guess.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #7,179 of 13,134
LCD2-F November '15 date: Phones make a flexing like noise, maybe the membranes? Intermittent buzzing noise in left speaker. These do not last long, 2-3 seconds. Otherwise, everything is GOOD. Anybody else experience this, maybe just an idiosyncratic Audeze quirk?

i also have the buzzing noise in my left speaker
for like 3 seconds every 2 hours or so 

hard to check with swapping cables because it can take up to 2-3hours to hear it

my headphones are also from November '15

what does the flexing noise sound like?

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #7,180 of 13,134
I personally think the 650 does more things better than the LCD-2 pre fazor. Smoother sound, better vocals, more refined sound but he pre fazor had much better bass texture and extension. I actually felt the LCD-2 pre fazor was one of the headphones that did micro detail a little better than the 650 assuming it's a good unit and didn't suffer from production variation which had many LCD-2 ranging form veiled, muddy to amazing. 

Either way, both the LCD-2 and 650 beat the LCD-2F pretty handy IMO. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #7,181 of 13,134

Actually, the driver is not all that has changed. There was previously quite a bit of damping in front of the driver, giving a darker sound.

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #7,182 of 13,134
  i also have the buzzing noise in my left speaker
for like 3 seconds every 2 hours or so 

hard to check with swapping cables because it can take up to 2-3hours to hear it

my headphones are also from November '15

what does the flexing noise sound like?

At first I thought it was the leather ear cups, because the sound is squishy like, almost like the sound of soft leather being pressed up against your ears. You're right, changing the cables from left to right is impractical because it happens for a period of 2-3 seconds, then it won't happen for a while. Mine have not made that sound for 2 days now. I'm ok with it as long as it is not symptomatic of something more serious. I think it's the membranes making the noise as they press up against your ears, and it only happens when I first put them on my head.

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #7,183 of 13,134
  I personally think the 650 does more things better than the LCD-2 pre fazor. Smoother sound, better vocals, more refined sound but he pre fazor had much better bass texture and extension. I actually felt the LCD-2 pre fazor was one of the headphones that did micro detail a little better than the 650 assuming it's a good unit and didn't suffer from production variation which had many LCD-2 ranging form veiled, muddy to amazing. 

Either way, both the LCD-2 and 650 beat the LCD-2F pretty handy IMO. 

I own both and have had the 650's since 2013 and my experience is the exact opposite. The 2Fs are more revealing with superior imaging, a larger sound stage with better tonal balance and more air between the instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back