Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #7,157 of 13,134
Bought them. I will always wonder until I try them, I can always sell if I don't like it.

Personally, I would try to buy used pre-Fazors. Mine were pre-fazor, but when the drivers failed they replaced the faulty drivers with fazored ones. Never liked them since and sold it off to someone else.

Of course, you might prefer the Fazor sound, but that's just my subjective taste and my 0.02 cents.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #7,158 of 13,134
Personally, I would try to buy used pre-Fazors. Mine were pre-fazor, but when the drivers failed they replaced the faulty drivers with fazored ones. Never liked them since and sold it off to someone else.

Of course, you might prefer the Fazor sound, but that's just my subjective taste and my 0.02 cents.

After doing research on the two, I think I would prefer fazored.

I'll find out soon enough though.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #7,159 of 13,134

What were your impressions of the differences?  Thanks!

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #7,160 of 13,134
The fazor is too artificial, less resolving and doesn't have the impact of the pre fazor. They sound more artificial, grainy.

If you listen to the vocals on the old pre fazor and HD650 they both have effortless tone to vocals that sounds natural. Fazor sounds more like it's trying to be be the HD800 but doesn't have the other abilities IMO.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #7,161 of 13,134
After doing research on the two, I think I would prefer fazored.

I'll find out soon enough though.

Tried my friends LCD-2.2 and LCD-2f a few months ago in Japan, bass is better on 2.2, mids and highs better on 2f, also tried his LCD-3f.  For the price difference the 3f is not even 5% better, reason I kept my 2f and didn't "upgrade"to 3f.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #7,162 of 13,134
  What were your impressions of the differences?  Thanks!

Exactly as Mr. ChookJones said, I couldn't have said it better myself. The fazored versions do not have the original 'Audeze house sound' which was what originally made the LCD-2 so popular in the first place. If you had heard the pre-fazor and fazor version, it would be much easier to understand.

Also, the fazored version rolls off the sub-bass and also has less impact as mentioned. The pre-fazors were considered as one of the 'bass kings' under $1000 because of the godly bass (not necessarily in terms of quantity, but quality). 

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #7,163 of 13,134
 Fazor sounds more like it's trying to be be the HD800 but doesn't have the other abilities IMO.

I hope this isn't the way Audeze are going in general. They have had great strengths with their own thing, why try to imitate everyone else?

Audeze 'phones don't have to have the most microscopic and bright response. Just leave that to the Germans and Austrians, if you ask me.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #7,164 of 13,134
I only find the mids on the LCD-2F to be grainy if it's underpowered, otherwise it sounds fantastic. I use them for mostly death metal, and all of the music in death metal lives in the mids, so that's why they sound so utterly fantastic to me, in combination with the fact that the bass is super fast.

I think a lot of the disappointment in the LCD-2F that I see in this thread has to do with people expecting them to be bass-head headphones and the 2F doesn't deliver on that for them. I'm rather glad that they aren't bass head headphones anymore.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #7,165 of 13,134
Audeze seem to have gone that way. The EL-8 also has that type of signature. The day of the Audeze warm, lush sound is gone :frowning2:

The 650 is still around thankfully but doesn't hit hard in the low bass like the LCD-2.2, part form that they are equals. The grain in the fazor is due to the treble boost and more rough response. The older models had a more gentle roll off going a lush liquid sound. The boost Audeze did did give them more treble detail but they don't have the resolution, refinement of the older 2.2 or 650.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #7,166 of 13,134
  I only find the mids on the LCD-2F to be grainy if it's underpowered, otherwise it sounds fantastic. I use them for mostly death metal, and all of the music in death metal lives in the mids, so that's why they sound so utterly fantastic to me, in combination with the fact that the bass is super fast.

I think a lot of the disappointment in the LCD-2F that I see in this thread has to do with people expecting them to be bass-head headphones and the 2F doesn't deliver on that for them. I'm rather glad that they aren't bass head headphones anymore.

Not geared towards you, but in general.

when was the lcd ever considered "basshead"?  They have the potential of being basshead headphones, but thats with some heavy eq'ing.  Which mines are

People got to stop taking the word "basshead" lightly.  its giving REAL bassheads the wrong impression.

Just a pet peeve of mine.  I tried and sold many headphones from reading threads and taking people's rec's, saying these are basshead, that is basshead.  When in reality they are not even close.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #7,167 of 13,134

How is the pre-fazor even a basshead headphone? I don't understand how you consider the LCD-2 pre-fazor a basshead headphone, unless you are allergic to bass.

The fazor sound disappointed me and some others in the sense that it lost it's original Audeze house sound, where it was beautifully dark and lush. The pre-fazor was much more relaxing to listen to IMO. Also, the bass quality and quantity dropped, along with less bass extension, which was another disappointment. But calling the pre-fazors basshead headphones is just hilarious really.

EDIT: Have you even tried a basshead headphone before, and the original pre-fazors before making that type of statement?

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #7,168 of 13,134

Exactly as Mr. ChookJones said, I couldn't have said it better myself. The fazored versions do not have the original 'Audeze house sound' which was what originally made the LCD-2 so popular in the first place. If you had heard the pre-fazor and fazor version, it would be much easier to understand.

Also, the fazored version rolls off the sub-bass and also has less impact as mentioned. The pre-fazors were considered as one of the 'bass kings' under $1000 because of the godly bass (not necessarily in terms of quantity, but quality). 

The late 2015 fazor LCD2's dont have the rolled off bass anymore. I sent my LCD2.2F in for warranty mid November, and got the newer drivers. My measurements, as well as Audeze's measurements from pre warranty and post confirm the sub bass extension is back. The treble is also slighly lower 10kHz-20kHz. I can't comment on the sound difference bewteen the pre and post fazor's, because I haven't heard the pre's, but I definitely enjoy the new drivers more than the pre-warranty set.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #7,169 of 13,134

The late 2015 fazor LCD2's dont have the rolled off bass anymore. I sent my LCD2.2F in for warranty mid November, and got the newer drivers. My measurements, as well as Audeze's measurements from pre warranty and post confirm the sub bass extension is back. The treble is also slighly lower 10kHz-20kHz. I can't comment on the sound difference bewteen the pre and post fazor's, because I haven't heard the pre's, but I definitely enjoy the new drivers more than the pre-warranty set.

Yes, they have been making silent revisions on the fazor drivers, which is evident when you see the recent graphs posted in the previous pages. If they do indeed revise the fazor drivers and somehow bring it back as close as possible to the pre-fazor sound, they will have my money. However, at the time when I received my replacement which was much earlier, I couldn't justify having a ~$1000 pair of headphones sitting on my desk unused.

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #7,170 of 13,134
Just bring out a "new" pre-Fazor version - there's lots of LCD-2 revisions already, why not LCD-2 and LCD-2F side by side?

It seems Audeze "F'd" up some what, why not give the fans of old what they want?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back