Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #4,126 of 13,134

Doesn't it make sound of your LCD-2 darker in compare to the stock cable? 

Not at all, maybe tad smoother, but it might be my imagination.

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #4,127 of 13,134
I have recently bought a pair of LCD-2.2 non fazors through a local on-line buy/sell website. The person I bought them from went into a shop asking for a pair of portable headphones to use while out and about with his iPod. The salesman sold him the Audezes! The buyer realised his mistake once he got home and couldn't plug them into the mini jack of his iPod and tried to take them back, but the shop wouldn't refund him. Anyway, his loss was my gain and I bought them at a significantly reduced price.

They are by some margin the best headphones I have ever listened to, and I have demoed quite a few and owned several pairs. Their warmth and natural sound is exactly what I enjoy about them and they make music, particularly vocals, jazz and live recordings, seem completely real. They may lack the bite of some headphones, but I will trade that for their beautiful presentation of music.

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #4,128 of 13,134
The person I bought them from went into a shop asking for a pair of portable headphones to use while out and about with his iPod. The salesman sold him the Audezes! The buyer realised his mistake once he got home and couldn't plug them into the mini jack of his iPod and tried to take them back, but the shop wouldn't refund him

This is golden. Like, almost every word of it.

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #4,129 of 13,134
I have recently bought a pair of LCD-2.2 non fazors through a local on-line buy/sell website. The person I bought them from went into a shop asking for a pair of portable headphones to use while out and about with his iPod. The salesman sold him the Audezes! The buyer realised his mistake once he got home and couldn't plug them into the mini jack of his iPod and tried to take them back, but the shop wouldn't refund him. Anyway, his loss was my gain and I bought them at a significantly reduced price.

They are by some margin the best headphones I have ever listened to, and I have demoed quite a few and owned several pairs. Their warmth and natural sound is exactly what I enjoy about them and they make music, particularly vocals, jazz and live recordings, seem completely real. They may lack the bite of some headphones, but I will trade that for their beautiful presentation of music.

What the first salesman did almost borders on fraud. Cannot believe they wouldn't take it back from the original owner, but happy for you that you got a good deal on an Audeze and you love them.

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #4,130 of 13,134
What the first salesman did almost borders on fraud. Cannot believe they wouldn't take it back from the original owner, but happy for you that you got a good deal on an Audeze and you love them.

Who spends close to a thousand dollars on headphones without even seeing what's terminated at the end of the cable?  Just looking at the LCD-2s should rub you the wrong way for mobile use.

Sep 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #4,131 of 13,134
It comes with an adapter that woulda made it work, if that wasn't included, then the sales guy/store really probably should be fired / dealt with for fraud! The guy's just as crazy for buying them, I agree!

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #4,132 of 13,134
They must not have consumer protection laws where he is at. Good enough ground to escalate a refund based on wrong staff advice/information

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #4,133 of 13,134
So I spent the last month testing out the HD800 and the HE560. 2 weeks each on my home set up, with my music and listening habits. I wanted to hear alternatives to the LCD2 pre fazor.

the short version of my conclusions: I stayed with the LCD2, but I'm planning to get the fazor model with microsuade instead.

The long version:

I first had the hd800 for two weeks, and it's a really awesome headphone, it has all the awesome traits it is known for. huge soundstage, insane amounts of detail, super comfy. but it just gets too sibilant and treble happy. I didnt find it too bright, in terms of overall tonality, it was pretty neutral and smooth, and the bass was very hard hitting (just not much in quantity), but the higher frequencies really do overpower everything, and it hurts your ears eventually, and considering I listen to metal and electronic music (well recorded stuff though), it just became too picky for what I listen to and use it for. I still miss how comfy it is though lol....

The he560 came next, and this one took the full two weeks or so to really get a read on it. It either required brain burn in or real burn in or both, but speaking from the end of my time with it on its sound, it had the most potential to win me over the lcd2, and its 100 dollars cheaper. it is very neutral, very smooth, has a great treble, with zero sibilance (when I went back to the lcd 2, it actually had more sibilance because of that 10khz peak, the he560 does not have a peak there. but the lcd 2 counters it by being darker), and goes down just as low in the bass and hits much harder, but again not as full (more similar in bass to the hd800, but with more quantity). So why did I not stick with it? well it has a very strange sound signature if you compare it directly to other headphones, it has a slight hollowness to the sound, which you get used to, but if you quickly swap between headphones you notice how strange the he560 sound because of it. they have a hard, bright, hollow tone overall, which you get used to and it goes away mostly, but is seriously noticeable when quickly switching between other options. But if I kept them, I would enjoy the sound overall I feel, that wasn't the deal breaker. What made me not keep them is their comfort actually. see what you dont see from the pictures is the fact that the he560 is kinda small. like they looked tiny sitting next to the lcd 2. and that meant the ear pads are tiny, which is not awesome because your ears get squished inside the cups, they get hot, everything touches them. the cups are shallow so they touch the dust liner, they are small in diameter so they touch all around your ears, it's just not comfortable at all. And even worse for anyone who has ears even a millimeter or two larger than mine, these pads would be bending your earlobes to fit inside. mine just barely fit inside like a glove, a very cramped glove. Thankfully the material is all soft and after 20mins you could forget about it, slightly, but it never goes away. plus the whole build of the headphone is not that great. I mean its sturdy, but it looks and feels like a toy, not a piece of audio equipment. Like a toy trying to mimic expensive audio equipment, instead of being some. That carries over to the sound too, that hollow tone to the mids make them sound like a toy trying to mimic "real" audio gear too. All that combined is what broke me finally. if they sounded better, then I would put up with the comfort or if they had larger pad openings, and were more comfy around your ear then I would have stuck with them. Sadly neither option exists.

Which comes back to the lcd 2. The larger pads, the fuller sound, the more "correct" and sturdy feeling to them, just was better. but I have the pre-fazor model, and the exact problems the fazor seems to fix in regards to imaging and clarity, is what I have issue with right now on this version of the lcd 2. They are just slightly unfocused, with not enough instrument separation, and too soft of an attack on the bass, all would be fixed if slightly improved. and going off the charts, and impressions, it seems thats exactly what the fazors were invented to fix. So I figure I'll just go with that, and get the vegan option because the leather is a little too slick on my head, which makes them slide around too easily from the weight. I learned from the hd800 and he560, both of which has velour/suede touching your face, that it helps the headphones stick to your head better. But I must say the he560 was really close, despite everything. I wish I could afford both, because theres just something about the sound of the he560 that I still miss, but not enough to put up with those horrible ear pads. But they were super lightweight, and that suspension headband design is amazing, audeze should take notes lol. Hifiman should takes notes on earpad design from audeze though lol.

I still dont think even the fazor version of the lcd 2 will be something I can just forget about with, because they are heavy, and still not entirely the sound i'm looking for, just a bit more neutral, more the like the lcd x, but at this price range, with the he560 comfort (not in earpads lol). I think whatever the next design from Audeze will be, and if Hifiman comes out with a he-6 replacement, that those will be THE models to choose from in this price range (assuming Audeze doesnt make exponentially more expensive models, and actually replaces old models with new designs instead). So yea :)

If you're curious about comparisons between those three headphones, let me know and I'll try to explain whatever you want to specifically know about.

The equipment used is in my signature.

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #4,134 of 13,134

I totally agree and I told the guy this when I went to buy them from him. No honest salesman could possibly sell a pair of Audeze for portable use. Mind you, the buyer was also a bit of an idiot as he must have seen how big they were when he bought them. I though it was all quite funny in a way and certainly I came away a very happy man!

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #4,135 of 13,134
Hi, 

I need help guys. I'm prepping to get LCD-2 fazors but I'm lost as to what amp I can get. I want an amp/dac with coaxial input. Right now, I've got a $548 deal for 
or I could get​
audio gd nfb-15.32 for $200.​
 The difference in price isn't a big of deal, I just want to know if the deal on the Burson is any good? I think it's half its usual price. And more importantly, I wanna know how well both pair with the fazors or even the revision 2 rosewood's as I'm open to buying them used.  

Sep 26, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #4,136 of 13,134
Hi have the Hifiman he400i and seem to lack bass, but have good clarity. On the other hand I have the he400 also that seem to have great bass, but not so good in the clarity. Does any know if the audeze would sound better than he hifiman he400i

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #4,138 of 13,134
Here are my thoughts.

Objectively: Sennheiser and Audeze headphones measure better than anything else according to the data sheets at inner fidelity. The LCD-2's have better measured performance than any dynamic headphone including the HD 800.

Subjectively: These are also the top brands according to the review section of Head-Fi. There is no magical disconnect between the measurements and reality. Listening to The LCD-2's they sound better than anything else that I have ever heard.

Comparison to the HD 650: These headphones are both dark but besides that they have little in common. The LCD-2's sound significantly clearer across the entire spectrum especially in the bass. They also have a much more accurate frequency response and a much less colored sound signature. It took me a while to decide this because I love the HD 650's so much but I think I am done with Sennheisers and dynamics in general. The LCD-2's are far too impressive to ignore.

Complaints: The standard cable and adapter are awful and need to be improved. The cable is unnecessarily bulky and the adapter causes audible problems when moved.

I am using the ODAC/O2 which is completely transparent so I am only listening to the headphones and not a DAC or AMP which distorts the sound unnecessarily. I managed to get mine for $800 new and they are easily worth the money.

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #4,140 of 13,134
Can a fiio e12 drive the audeze... also are they only a 1/4" plug

They have the power, but not the refinement for this level of headphone. The bass boost also was moved up vs the the proto e12 = bleeds into mids.
It would be an OK stop-gap going to an iBasso PB2 on balanced or RSA portable to not be a block in the hardware chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back