Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #1,936 of 13,134

I will post some in depth impressions on the hd800 later. It's a fantastic hp with regard to resolution and sound stage. Crazy comfortable. And responds to amp and source more than any hp that I've ever used.

If you find them a bit bright or peaky, the anax mod makes them just about perfect.

+1 on the comfort, only wish the audeze's felt that good.

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,937 of 13,134
My impression from various meets is that Audeze has been "brightening them up" a bit over time.  Probably in response to criticisms on the forums, and comparisons to other top headphones.  This seems to be borne out by the published response graphs, which show little of the old shelved-down treble response.  There is no disclosure about running changes, but most small customer-focused manufacturers try to continuously improve their products, even if there is no marketing behind these efforts.

I have an original pair of LCD-2.1 and they are deep, dark and luscious, just the way I love 'em.  I was shocked to hear the latest LCD-2.2 which to me is closing in on the LCD-3 sound profile.  I know there is a tendency for some people to pair the LCD-2's with brighter amps to compensate for narrower sound stage and/or shelved down treble (Bryston HPA etc.).  This seems to be less of an advantage with the newer pairs. 

Anyway, I think the new ones also scale more with better electronics, which was not very much the case with the early ones.  So any deficiencies in bass, or excessive brightness in treble is much less evident with high-power, high-end headphone amps.  Quality of bass is never in doubt, but quantity is sometimes criticized.  This too goes away with better amps, IMHO.

Just my $.02. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #1,938 of 13,134

I will post some in depth impressions on the hd800 later. It's a fantastic hp with regard to resolution and sound stage. Crazy comfortable. And responds to amp and source more than any hp that I've ever used. 
I do not know for sure what revision that I listened to on my previous loaner pair. They were bamboo with the angled black connectors though. I assume the latest version. 

I don't disagree that there are factors that we sometimes overlook that  change how a hp sounds. In this case, even factoring in those possibilities the difference between the loaner pair and this pair is just too great. Also, the signature from my other hp's is still spot on to what I'm used to getting from them. 

Either Audeze have tuned these differently or they are defective, no question.

That's a bummer.  It's too much to pay if you're not deliriously happy with the headphones.  You got these new and you're still in the return window--right?

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #1,939 of 13,134
Yes, I have 30 days to return with headamp. I hate to return them because Justin is a small business guy like me. But at the price, I just can't justify something that I'm not absolutely crazy about. 

I sent an email to Audeze yesterday to ask about my issue...nothing back yet. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #1,940 of 13,134
  Yes, I have 30 days to return with headamp. I hate to return them because Justin is a small business guy like me. But at the price, I just can't justify something that I'm not absolutely crazy about. 

I sent an email to Audeze yesterday to ask about my issue...nothing back yet. 

Agreed, Justin is a good guy, but if the headphones are returned in new condition--he doesn't take a hit. Audeze will pull your freq chart and ask you to send them in if you're concerned there's a problem. I'd carefully pack them up as received and arrange a return with Justin.  He can double-check to confirm a problem or if it's a normal signature, and you can take it from there.

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #1,941 of 13,134
Thanks for the advice. Because I had an after market cable I didn't even have to open to plastic bag with cable, wood kit ect. I just hate returning things to small businesses. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #1,942 of 13,134
  Thanks for the advice. Because I had an after market cable I didn't even have to open to plastic bag with cable, wood kit ect. I just hate returning things to small businesses. 

seems like you may have a defective set matt, the sound you're describing doesn't sound like what i'm hearing at all !!, that being said, i'd never heard them before and i've only had mine less than a week

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #1,945 of 13,134
Matt,

I can send you my demo pair of LCD-2 that are several months old if you 'd like to compare

Wow, that's wonderful. I accept. I hope you don't mind me posting these issues. I wanted to get some feedback from "the boys." As always you customer service and willingness to go the extra mile for us is greatly appreciated. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #1,946 of 13,134
My experience for over 35 years has mostly been with home hi fi. There is definitely something to breaking in speakers, get the driver surround loser. Magneplanars are notorious for needing a long break in period which then increases bass response. I am on a list at Cable Company to audition a pair of LCDX headphones. I was told by a salesperson there that when they get the headphones in, they will need to run them in for a full week(!) before sending them out on audition. That sounded excessive to me, but, it's pointing to whether or not some break in would help in your situation. I was the person who contacted Audeze about the earpads they are presently using, and the foam is indeed the same in the LCD3 and LCD2 headphones.....just a higher quality, softer leather is used for the 3s; so indeed that is a change from previous iterations. Whether the changed earpads has helped the LCD2 to sound more like the 3 is an interesting proposition also, as so many have found significant differences in sound between different earpads for the better resolving headphones. I hope you get this sorted out......it will be interesting to learn where it goes.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #1,947 of 13,134
  My experience for over 35 years has mostly been with home hi fi. There is definitely something to breaking in speakers, get the driver surround loser. Magneplanars are notorious for needing a long break in period which then increases bass response. I am on a list at Cable Company to audition a pair of LCDX headphones. I was told by a salesperson there that when they get the headphones in, they will need to run them in for a full week(!) before sending them out on audition. That sounded excessive to me, but, it's pointing to whether or not some break in would help in your situation. I was the person who contacted Audeze about the earpads they are presently using, and the foam is indeed the same in the LCD3 and LCD2 headphones.....just a higher quality, softer leather is used for the 3s; so indeed that is a change from previous iterations. Whether the changed earpads has helped the LCD2 to sound more like the 3 is an interesting proposition also, as so many have found significant differences in sound between different earpads for the better resolving headphones. I hope you get this sorted out......it will be interesting to learn where it goes.

Thank you for your comments here. When I first got the lcd2 and heard the sound, or lack thereof based on my previous experience, I put them on cook for two days. While there might be some slight or modest break in period for some hp's, I have not heard planar magnetic hp that have demonstrated a remarkable break in period. My experience with other similar hp's would be with HFM and maddog and alpha dog. I've owned many of these and have noticed no perceptible change. If there was any it would have been very small and over a long period. 

The lcd2 would have to go through a massive metamorphosis to reach the level I'm expecting. If others here have noticed some remarkable break in with the lcd2's please let me know. 

I decided to put the lcd2's back on my playlist loop for a few days. I'll wait and listen after they are done and see if there are any perceived changes. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #1,948 of 13,134
Thank you for your comments here. When I first got the lcd2 and heard the sound, or lack thereof based on my previous experience, I put them on cook for two days. While there might be some slight or modest break in period for some hp's, I have not heard planar magnetic hp that have demonstrated a remarkable break in period. My experience with other similar hp's would be with HFM and maddog and alpha dog. I've owned many of these and have noticed no perceptible change. If there was any it would have been very small and over a long period. 

The lcd2 would have to go through a massive metamorphosis to reach the level I'm expecting. If others here have noticed some remarkable break in with the lcd2's please let me know. 

I decided to put the lcd2's back on my playlist loop for a few days. I'll wait and listen after they are done and see if there are any perceived changes. 

I did not hear any differences from day one with mine.

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #1,949 of 13,134

Could you describe your old experience in detail and compare it with your new one? I got an LCD-2 right around the same time as you and I can see which of the two descriptions best fits what I'm hearing with mine.

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #1,950 of 13,134
My general impression is my (new) LCD-2 sounded the same on the first day I had it as the day I sold it, one year later. The LCD-X doesn't seem to be changing in any significant way. Of course, it would be hard to tell if there was a slow and gradual change, but I haven't noticed anything significant. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back