Audeze Euclid Closed-Back Planar IEM
Sep 24, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #211 of 457
Not many Euclid owners out here. But for all those who do own it and check in here, hope you will take a moment to reply. I'm taking a poll. I found yesterday something has major repercussions on the Euclid's natural frequency response and parametric equalization necessary to match IEM response targets:

When you take the ear-tip off [though you can see it even if you leave the tip on] and look down into the nozzle, is the 'white acoustic wadding' inside:
A. near the top?
B. about 1/2 way down the nozzle?
C. deep down inside?

Example of what I mean by 'near the top'. (*)

20210924_121654.jpg

(*) This is NOT how it looked when I bought my Euclid. But that was also an opened box which may have been altered by the store's staff. I don't know. And why I am taking this 'poll'.

I'll defer further/lengthy detail. Need to transfer some more recent measurements into Excel and add to existing graph comparisons.; so I'll have empirically derived evidence to add to this later. But I will say right now I discovered yesterday that this has an enormous effect on the dB difference between the peaks and troughs in the Euclid's frequency response (and can perhaps answer why my PEQ parameters didn't work at all for you, @debullet ). As pictured my measurement now more closely matches Crinacle's and SoundStage's in the heights and depths in the FR variations. And as pictured I find I am way way happier with the Euclid's natural response, sans any equalization. I could live without any (tho I do prefer it with 'some' parametric equalization).

I'd say mine are down pretty deep, kind of at the end of the nozzle. And when I first got them the right side was near the top, left side was deep. To me, the right side sounded much brighter, in particular cymbals and high hats seemed to be really prominent. I sent Audeze support a note, they wanted to take a look and sent me a new pair with the baffling deep. No word as to which was the correct (in their ears) location.

Related, the tech power up review mentioned above clearly shows a grill and no white wadding. Given how significant the effect is on sound, and that they appear to have changed their baffling, I wonder both which of us have the factory correct tuning and if maybe we are due to have our sets updated ? I do use EQ, but for me it isn't needed in the way that the i4's need it. Just helps punch up the bass a bit and drop some of the upper mids (which I'm very sensitive to).

Anyway, thanks for bringing up this topic, interested to see where it goes. I do listen to my Euclids a lot and would hope to be listening at their optimum tuning.

Attachments

• PXL_20210925_031350905.jpg
    PXL_20210925_031350905.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Sep 24, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #212 of 457
I'd say mine are down pretty deep, kind of at the end of the nozzle. And when I first got them the right side was near the top, left side was deep. To me, the right side sounded much brighter, in particular cymbals and high hats seemed to be really prominent. I sent Audeze support a note, they wanted to take a look and sent me a new pair with the baffling deep. No word as to which was the correct (in their ears) location.

Related, the tech power up review mentioned above clearly shows a grill and no white wadding. Given how significant the effect is on sound, and that they appear to have changed their baffling, I wonder both which of us have the factory correct tuning and if maybe we are due to have our sets updated ? I do use EQ, but for me it isn't needed in the way that the i4's need it. Just helps punch up the bass a bit and drop some of the upper mids (which I'm very sensitive to).

Anyway, thanks for bringing up this topic, interested to see where it goes. I do listen to my Euclids a lot and would hope to be listening at their optimum tuning.
I really can’t see mine to be honest, I had to really look for them since they were in so deep :p That grill is definitely new as mine don’t have one either. I’m an Etyhead, so the tuning on the Euclid are very good for me :) I wouldn’t mind a little more bass presence though. That’s a good question regarding tuning though… Can @Audeze say anything about that? The grill, the white acoustic filter depth, other stuff that may have changed/we don’t see?

Sep 24, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #213 of 457
Not many Euclid owners out here. But for all those who do own it and check in here, hope you will take a moment to reply. I'm taking a poll. I found yesterday something has major repercussions on the Euclid's natural frequency response and parametric equalization necessary to match IEM response targets:

When you take the ear-tip off [though you can see it even if you leave the tip on] and look down into the nozzle, is the 'white acoustic wadding' inside:
A. near the top?
B. about 1/2 way down the nozzle?
C. deep down inside?

Example of what I mean by 'near the top'. (*)

20210924_121654.jpg

(*) This is NOT how it looked when I bought my Euclid. But that was also an opened box which may have been altered by the store's staff. I don't know. And why I am taking this 'poll'.

I'll defer further/lengthy detail. Need to transfer some more recent measurements into Excel and add to existing graph comparisons.; so I'll have empirically derived evidence to add to this later. But I will say right now I discovered yesterday that this has an enormous effect on the dB difference between the peaks and troughs in the Euclid's frequency response (and can perhaps answer why my PEQ parameters didn't work at all for you, @debullet ). As pictured my measurement now more closely matches Crinacle's and SoundStage's in the heights and depths in the FR variations. And as pictured I find I am way way happier with the Euclid's natural response, sans any equalization. I could live without any (tho I do prefer it with 'some' parametric equalization).
By acoustic wadding, you mean the grill yeah?
Its quite deep!

Attachments

• 6B60EA86-BB5A-4922-828A-221C94DA0597.jpeg
    6B60EA86-BB5A-4922-828A-221C94DA0597.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • D2B6643F-1485-4A1F-AD26-3CE000130C6D.jpeg
    D2B6643F-1485-4A1F-AD26-3CE000130C6D.jpeg
    1,019.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 25, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #215 of 457
By acoustic wadding, you mean the grill yeah?
Its quite deep!
No, it’s like a white cotton material that looks like it’s used to dampen the highs. You may still have some in your Euclid, but it’s behind the grill stuffed pretty deep in the nozzle.

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #216 of 457
No, it’s like a white cotton material that looks like it’s used to dampen the highs. You may still have some in your Euclid, but it’s behind the grill stuffed pretty deep in the nozzle.
Fair enough! Yeah I cannot see any of that material! Can only see the grill! Wonder how crin’s unit was - with or without the grill and how it affects his measurements!

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #217 of 457
Fair enough! Yeah I cannot see any of that material! Can only see the grill! Wonder how crin’s unit was - with or without the grill and how it affects his measurements!
He got his pretty early, if I were to bet, I’d say no grill.

Sep 25, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #219 of 457
All Euclids have the filling material that is used for acoustic tuning, the very first batch did not have the grill. We added the grill because of the feedback we got as some were concerned when they saw the filling. We added the grill later so the acoustic filling remains hidden for better aesthetics. The grill does not serve any acoustic purpose, it is there just to hide the filing.

If you have a early Euclid and want the gril put on them, you can contact support, it will not change the sound in anyway.

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #220 of 457
All Euclids have the filling material that is used for acoustic tuning, the very first batch did not have the grill. We added the grill because of the feedback we got as some were concerned when they saw the filling. We added the grill later so the acoustic filling remains hidden for better aesthetics. The grill does not serve any acoustic purpose, it is there just to hide the filing.

If you have a early Euclid and want the gril put on them, you can contact support, it will not change the sound in anyway.
So grills/filters on IEMs don't change the acoustic signature at all?

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #221 of 457
The grill does not, it is meant to be acoustically transparent (I cannot comment on the grill used by other manufacturers). On the other hand, the filler material was specifically chosen to achieve the acoustic tuning and reduce resonances, so yes they serve a purpose. The newer batch has both the grill and the filler, the very first batch did not have the grill but had the filler.

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #222 of 457
The grill does not, it is meant to be acoustically transparent (I cannot comment on the grill used by other manufacturers). On the other hand, the filler material was specifically chosen to achieve the acoustic tuning and reduce resonances, so yes they serve a purpose. The newer batch has both the grill and the filler, the very first batch did not have the grill but had the filler.
Thanks for clarifying, others do claim damping (and more) but that is also to do with the effective diameter and pore size of the filters.

Sep 28, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #223 of 457
Okay, I didn't mean for my observation to be a "drive by", lol (where one posts something that causes discussion then doesn't return). Got sidetracked with a lot of things.

First things first, when the first person made mention of a "screen", I was like "err, whut's that now?!". But KMann set us straight on that. Thank you. I will probably be sending mine in to get one installed (and to have them have a look at a channel imbalance I still have in the bass; more on that below).

So, I didn't set out to screw around with the Euclid's acoustic damping I called 'wadding'. I had been noticing a pretty major imbalance between left and right in the bass for some time that was bothersome. I was constantly adjusting the depth and seal of left and right to try to balance it. Measuring I found left and right had up to a 2db diff between left and right starting at around 200Hz hitting a max differential around 100Hz then coming back together at 20 Hz, I noticed some dried ear wax down the bore. So I tried to clean down the bore using the supplied cleaning tool. That just cause the acoustical wadding to move. I noticed the wadding wasn't equal between the two. That's when I circled the drain, you might say. Using a blunt nose soft tweezer I have for holding electronic components to place or solder them, I pulled on the one that moved more. I pulled too much, and a big wad just popped out. I was quite shocked at how much came out. As I was under the mistaken impression that white material was just at the nozzle to prevent dried ear wax from falling into the cavity (in retrospect we all now know it is not) and all I was trying to do was reset its positioning. So having found myself in this position, I decided to try to bring the other iem to match, and start the positioning of the wadding over.

I took 6 measurements, 3 left and 3 right.

- Magenta: no wadding (maximum resonance),
- Orange: wadding spread-out and deep inside the cavity (how it is shipped)
- Yellow: wadding all balled up and only at the very top of the nozzle opening (if I get the screen installed when it is returned I will probably add supplemental acoustical wadding above it to squelch the peaks.)

LEFT:
Audeze Euclid - Acoustic Wadding Comparison - Left.png

RIGHT:
Audeze Euclid - Acoustic Wadding Comparison - Right.PNG

Both Left and Right (colors change in this case, use the legend. left: #19, #21, #23 ; right: #20, #22, #24). Unfortunately the channel imbalance between left and right in the bass is still there; actually all the peaks and dips are lesser in one than the other . So it seems a trip back to the Audeze homebase is in order... :frowning2:
Audeze Euclid - Acoustic Wadding Comparison - Left+Right.PNG

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #224 of 457
Yeah, I’ve been stalking Audeze’s site for it. It popped up on Monday. It is definitely based on the iSine adapters they created, so no LDAC unfortunately, just AAC and APTX; I’m on iOS so I’m not too worried. I wish I could tell you what “flat“ was :p Prior to this I’ve been using the Fiio UTWS2 extensively which gave the Euclid a smoother sound. The Cipher BT cable gives it a little more punch in comparison with a small tweak in the upper midrange. But that’s all I can really say about it with the short listen I gave. That said, I don’t feel like these are EQing the sound much (if any) since the Euclid were acoustically tuned rather that a focus on digital tuning. But maybe my ears are deceiving me.
Hi, what are your thoughts on this BT device after a week? Have you gone back and forth between wired and the BT adapter and compared?

I felt the BT adapter for the iSine was a bit 'dark'. Got confirmation of feeling the same by at least one other person; could have been more, it's been a while. Hope to hear more about its implementation here.

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #225 of 457
Hi, what are your thoughts on this BT device after a week? Have you gone back and forth between wired and the BT adapter and compared?

I felt the BT adapter for the iSine was a bit 'dark'. Got confirmation of feeling the same by at least one other person; could have been more, it's been a while. Hope to hear more about its implementation here.
The BT adapter for the iSine was very dark, I don't know if Audeze actually applies and EQ to them using the adapter, but if they do, they really missed the mark with it. I know with the normal Lightning Cipher cable with the iSine there is an EQ applied and it's really good there. The Cipher BT for the iSine is a no go for me.

The BT adapter for the Euclid doesn't change tonality too much. Though that's in comparison to the UTWS3 that I've had them paired to since I got them. I really haven't used them wired in a long time. I feel like the Cipher BT cable for the Euclid give a bit more tightness/punch and impact to the bass while toning down the upper midrange a hair, but this is in comparison to the UTWS3 (though I didn't feel like that colored the Euclid much compared to wired through the Apple 3.5mm adapter). I feel like the Cipher BT that Audeze has for the Euclid is a very good pairing; it also helps keep it more portable compared to the UTWS3 I had before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back