Audeze Euclid Closed-Back Planar IEM
Jun 6, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #182 of 457
Ha that all sounds amazing… and completely over my head. Also on my list is to buy a nice desktop DAC/amp (possibly the Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition) and a $3,000+ pair of headphones.

thanks
Pardon my habit of being indirect yet wordy.

What it translates to is any amp that is rated with 300 - 500 milliwatts or higher at 16 ohms or lower will do -optimally- with these; tho anything with say 200-300 mw @ 32 ohms may do the trick at more reasonable listening levels + subjectively equalization (remember these are rated at 12 ohms, but I measured mine at 14 ohms).

If an amp / dac-amp has its maximum rating at 32 ohms, it is pretty much guaranteed to mean that it doesnt perform as well at 16 ohms -- else, the rating would be higher at 16 ohms [if it has the power/current it should be double the value at 32 ohms] than at 32 ohms by Ohm's Law, so why wouldnt the manufacturer state the higher rating? -- with less power at best, and non-linear frequency dependent power output compression from current limit based output voltage droop at worst. Which can be due to a number of factors, I'll save you from; that previous sentence was probably too much already [haha].

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #184 of 457
I finally got round to posting our Euclid review, but I do really like it!

https://www.headfonia.com/audeze-euclid-review/

Audeze-Euclid-8.jpg

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #185 of 457
Hmm… it looks like neither the iBasso or Fiio will work with my 4-pin Lola’s
I dont know the Lola. Is it a dynamic driver in the bass region or planar magnetic? I find the former will produce quite a bit more 'rumble' more easily in the lowest octaves than closed planar magnetic drivers.

Edit: (I just looked it up and see it is a hybrid). So were not talking apples to apples. The lola having a dynamic driver will also likely have an impedance peak. So while the impedance rating of the lola is 16 ohms, that may a) be what it is at the lowest point across the whole frequency spectrum, or b) a rough average but ignoring any impedance peaks over an octave or two, or c) what it is around 1KHz give or take a few octaves. What is a good possibility here however is the dynamic driver covering the bass region might actually be much higher (30 ohms?, 50 ohms?, dunno what but could easily be something way more than 16 ohms), thereby not loading down the amp and more easily driving it in the low frequencies without any music peak induced current limit based power compression effect occurring.

All supposition, as I only now had a quick look at the specs of the Lola. But one number does not tell the whole story; I have not looked for an impedance frequency sweep measurement of it. What I -do- know without supposition is the thing we are discussing here, the Euclid, -is- 14 ohms in the bass region, where most music has its largest peaks, so needs a heck of a lot of drive to be driven optimally.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #188 of 457
I dont know the Lola. Is it a dynamic driver in the bass region or planar magnetic? I find the former will produce quite a bit more 'rumble' more easily in the lowest octaves than closed planar magnetic drivers.

Edit: (I just looked it up and see it is a hybrid). So were not talking apples to apples. The lola having a dynamic driver will also likely have an impedance peak. So while the impedance rating of the lola is 16 ohms, that may a) be what it is at the lowest point across the whole frequency spectrum, or b) a rough average but ignoring any impedance peaks over an octave or two, or c) what it is around 1KHz give or take a few octaves. What is a good possibility here however is the dynamic driver covering the bass region might actually be much higher (30 ohms?, 50 ohms?, dunno what but could easily be something way more than 16 ohms), thereby not loading down the amp and more easily driving it in the low frequencies without any music peak induced current limit based power compression effect occurring.

All supposition, as I only now had a quick look at the specs of the Lola. But one number does not tell the whole story; I have not looked for an impedance frequency sweep measurement of it. What I -do- know without supposition is the thing we are discussing here, the Euclid, -is- 14 ohms in the bass region, where most music has its largest peaks, so needs a heck of a lot of drive to be driven optimally.
Hey m8o!

First of all, thanks for taking the time to research all this and share knowledge with me. much appreciated

At this point, I’m thinking of just getting another pair of IEMs to build a Fiio/iBasso TWS “rig.” The fact that I’d need some kind of adapter to use the 4-pin Lola’s seems like a hassle so I can just keep those for wired listening.

So two questions if you don’t mind:

1) Should I get the Fiio UTWS3 or the iBasso?
2) What would be a good choice for some IEMs to buy?

Music I like: female vocals (Norah, Diana Krall…), Pink Floyd, guitar, all classical and opera, some jazz and blues.

I’m not much into bass and I rarely listen to rap, hip hop, or that kind of stuff.

thanks again

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #190 of 457
Ha nice! Euclid + Fiio? How does it sound?
For minimal portable setups it's the best I've come across. I don't own too many external DACs/amps. That said, I've tested with the following:
  • Apple 3.5mm -> Lightning + stock cable
  • Fiio iRC-MMCX
  • Fiio UTWS3
  • Fiio LC-BT2
  • Fiio LC-BT1
  • TRN BT-20s Pro
  • Shure RMCE-LTG
The two top ones in terms of tonality are the UTWS3, the Apple adapter, and Shure Lightning cable. The Shure cable is kind of stiff and not too nice to use though, IMO. The Fiio iRC-MMCX has much better cable qualities for on the go travel, but doesn't quite get the tonality I want. The LC-BT1 is the most portable of the bunch IMO, but I still prefer the tonality that the UTWS3 gives. The LC-BT2 is the least portable of the bunch, but has a nice 10-band, fully customizable EQ that you can use to dial in the sound just right. I wasn't a fan of how the BT-20s paired with the Euclid.

I have tested the Euclid with my Oppo HA-2 DAC/amp and it pairs very well with that. It is a higher power output portable being able to drive up to 300 mA @ 16 ohm. Though in really, I'm rarely ever pushing volume with these (trying to hit 70-ish dB isn't difficult and doesn't really require power).

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #191 of 457
For minimal portable setups it's the best I've come across. I don't own too many external DACs/amps. That said, I've tested with the following:
  • Apple 3.5mm -> Lightning + stock cable
  • Fiio iRC-MMCX
  • Fiio UTWS3
  • Fiio LC-BT2
  • Fiio LC-BT1
  • TRN BT-20s Pro
  • Shure RMCE-LTG
The two top ones in terms of tonality are the UTWS3, the Apple adapter, and Shure Lightning cable. The Shure cable is kind of stiff and not too nice to use though, IMO. The Fiio iRC-MMCX has much better cable qualities for on the go travel, but doesn't quite get the tonality I want. The LC-BT1 is the most portable of the bunch IMO, but I still prefer the tonality that the UTWS3 gives. The LC-BT2 is the least portable of the bunch, but has a nice 10-band, fully customizable EQ that you can use to dial in the sound just right. I wasn't a fan of how the BT-20s paired with the Euclid.

I have tested the Euclid with my Oppo HA-2 DAC/amp and it pairs very well with that. It is a higher power output portable being able to drive up to 300 mA @ 16 ohm. Though in really, I'm rarely ever pushing volume with these (trying to hit 70-ish dB isn't difficult and doesn't really require power).
Wow nice! It sounds to me like the Fiio + Euclids would put a big smile on my face, given that I love the sound from my LCD-2s.

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #192 of 457

Thanks m8o! How about the Fiio or the iBasso + Euclid?

Jun 9, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #193 of 457
Thanks m8o! How about the Fiio or the iBasso + Euclid?
I am unacquainted with either product on a first hand basis. So it would be unwise of me to give any recommendations.

FiiO does give a 16 ohm rating. And while ideally it would be double the 32 ohm rating, the decrease power from that is not excessive. But with that said, it is one order of magnitude less [!] than I'm looking for on an absolute basis:

Output Power38mW(16Ωload)
25mW(32Ωload)

If you have phenomenal hearing, which I do not, it 'could' work for you. But if this or the iBasso is 'better', no idea. Go by tinyman392. He gave you excellent guidance.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #194 of 457
You probably heard before about my full written review on the Euclid from Audeze!!

It is time for my video review, that I filmed before ever finishing that written review, but which I'm barely posting now due to the video process editing taking way longer :)

The Euclid from Audeze is basically the Planar headphone inside an IEM, but with a little twist. It is smooth, enjoyable, musical, and has less bass, having a lighter sound than what we're used to seeing from the Audeze house sound!

I invite you to one of my funny viddys and I hope you enjoy your time at Audiophile-Heaven~

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #195 of 457
Testing the Euclid as we speak

IMG_5830.jpg
IMG_5853.jpg
IMG_5858.jpg

Still unsure whether I like the white background more or the black one for the photos below:
IMG_5883.jpg
IMG_5884.jpg

Regardless, it's an atypical shell design that works great for an average set of ears, but not so much for smaller or even slightly larger ears:
IMG_5878.jpg
IMG_5879.jpg

Updated frequency response after having re-calibrated my setup. I've added in a marking to indicate where the IEC711 isn't quite trustworthy, but also these results now more closely match the measurement taken by Audeze for this very sample:

Frequency response.jpg

Sadly I have nothing else in this price range yet for comparisons, with the nearest one being the $730 ThieAudio Monarch which is a tribrid and very different in turning:
Frequency response.jpg

Plenty more listening to do, but so far so good!

Attachments

• Frequency response.jpg
    Frequency response.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Sample in ear.jpg
    Sample in ear.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Frequency response.jpg
    Frequency response.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread