Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list.
Oct 30, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #706 of 820
mmm I'm very happy to hear it's BRIGHTER than what Azude has offered in the past. Very tempted to get a LCD x and sell off my He 400 and DT 880! And i'd have to try the XC before I'd hvae it replace my w1000x but it's a possibility [maybe] 

Either way, I hear more and mroe positives about the X :D I might be getting one before the summer comes 

nice... wish i have that kinda money :frowning2:

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #707 of 820
They're good, really good.

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #708 of 820
Looking forward to the inevitable TH900 vs XC impressions. Be interesting to see if they work nicely as complimentary cans and what their genre strengths are. Might pick one up for the workplace.

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #709 of 820
Looking forward to the inevitable TH900 vs XC impressions. Be interesting to see if they work nicely as complimentary cans and what their genre strengths are. Might pick one up for the workplace.

+1. I also have à TH900 and would like to compare. Hope to BE able to do it soon ...

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #711 of 820
They're in different categories, to be sure. The LCD-XCs are reference-class, flat FR `phones (think STAX SR-009s & HD800s), whereas the TH900s are "fun", more "entertainment-focused". One thing they both have in common is clarity and resolution that extends to the horizon. So far, in my tests, these are the most resolving closed cans I've ever heard, with the possible exception of the STAX 4070s, which are discontinued and nigh-impossible to find now, with the added benefit that the XCs don't require a $3k-5k stat amp. They aren't very picky about amping at all, you can get ~90% of their potential directly out of an iPhone.

So far, with only minor quibbles (like a bit too much weight), my early listening tells me that these are a game changer.

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #712 of 820
Wow. Thanks for the impressions so far. Magick Man, can you say a little more about how they compare/contrast with the TH900? I'm particularly interested in their performance on the top end: Do you find them potentially too bright? Or do they have that usual Audeze more forgiving nature? I'm wondering how they might work with less than excellent recordings. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #713 of 820
They're more neutral, not as laid back, as their older LCD siblings (which I feel are too dark). They are, IMO, nearly dead-on neutral, but with punchy and well-extended sub-bass. The TH900s have more of a U-shaped signature, with slightly recessed mids, these don't. The XCs also isolate more effectively and provide a more immersive experience.

No, I wouldn't categorize the LCD-XCs as dark or bright, but they are revealing, and they do excel with better recordings.

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #715 of 820
  I was really thinking I'd go with the 3s or the Xs, but you're putting thoughts of the Xc in my head now...

Just get all 3 of them!!!! 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #717 of 820
They're in different categories, to be sure. The LCD-XCs are reference-class, flat FR `phones (think STAX SR-009s & HD800s), whereas the TH900s are "fun", more "entertainment-focused". One thing they both have in common is clarity and resolution that extends to the horizon. So far, in my tests, these are the most resolving closed cans I've ever heard, with the possible exception of the STAX 4070s, which are discontinued and nigh-impossible to find now, with the added benefit that the XCs don't require a $3k-5k stat amp. They aren't very picky about amping at all, you can get ~90% of their potential directly out of an iPhone.

So far, with only minor quibbles (like a bit too much weight), my early listening tells me that these are a game changer.

MM, that's great to hear. I live in India and having bought the TH 900 last month, I ordered the XC. Unfortunately, I have the dual problems of slower shipping and an inability to demo before purchasing. On another note, my weigh-in on the planars versus dynamics is that for rock (my only genre of music), dynamic might sometimes be better. The TH 900 is a great example on such a dynamic HP. It is not just a "fun" can, its clarity and resolution is simply amazing. I have no clue how it does on other types of music. My 2c.

Nov 3, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #718 of 820
.... The XCs also isolate more effectively and provide a more immersive experience.

I Will be VERY interested to know How much they Isolate better.

Indeed I have à TH900 but i can't use it in the bed . . . next to my wife sleeping :)

So i was about to buy some IEM :frowning2:(( or a Sig PRO BUT this XC will of course provde a much better sound. . . If it do NOT leak !

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #719 of 820
I Will be VERY interested to know How much they Isolate better.

Indeed I have à TH900 but i can't use it in the bed . . . next to my wife sleeping :)

So i was about to buy some IEM :frowning2:(( or a Sig PRO BUT this XC will of course provde a much better sound. . . If it do NOT leak !

Here's a measurement of the LCD-XC isolation. XC is green, LCD-X is purple, tested at 75db.

Isolation is good, not at the top of closed cans, and certainly nowhere near an IEM.

Edit: The TH900 for comparison

Nov 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #720 of 820
A little unboxing. Still trying to compose my impressions (much much later).

Pelican-styled case

Cleaning kit for the "lacquered" (??) wood cups included

Users who are viewing this thread

Back