ATH-AD700 vs HD598's
Sep 5, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #46 of 80

Quote:
Well the Ad900 is cheaper in the sense that you don't need an amp to enjoy them. Many like the HD598, many like the Ad900. Buy whatever appeals to you and if you aren't satisfied sell them and buy the other!

Good post. I first wanted the ad900 but got convinced by some to get the hd598. After I received the hd598 I didn't like it as I was hoping so I sold it. I bought the ad900 and I'm extremely happy. My denon d2000 has been collecting dust ever since.

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #47 of 80

Quote:
Heya,

Yeap. Because I'm factoring that he'll end up buying a second headphone, meeting that "price difference" when he realizes they don't sound great for everything, and are really meh when it comes to music that involves bass. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe he will love the anemic signature of the AD700 (and even the AD900). But pop and rock with no bottom end? Meh. HD598 would be much more thrilling with some bass. So yea, factored.

HD598, you buy one headphone.
AD700, you will buy other headphones.

Note, many are likely to buy more headphones anyways.

When it comes to throwing down money on an expensive headphone, you might as well get the most you can for your money. Frankly, the AD700 is not the most. Not even close. I don't get the hype around that headphone. If someone was really on a budget and cost mattered, they'd get a headphone that was if nothing more able to accomplish a good sound in all music types. AD700 isn't it.

And if we're talking price factoring, the Samson SR850 (Superlux HD668B) is better than the AD700. Has bass. And is less expensive.

Very best,

We got it, you don't like the AD700.  On the other hand, I have purchased the AD900, HD595, AKG K701, K601, Beyerdynamic DT990 and DT770 and every single one has gone back in favor of the AD700.  Just saying, they might not be the manifestation of evil on planet earth.

Quote:
The ears only touch drivers if you're wearing them wrong, which most people do when they get them. I love the comfort of these, they actually feel refreshing to put on after wearing others.

Wearing them wrong?  You mean not putting 1/4" surgical tubing into the earpads to make the cups deeper?  Or not being genetically blessed with little tiny ears?  My AD900s went back for one simple reason: they were uncomfortable as hell, no matter how many fatpad mods I tried on them.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #48 of 80
Quote:
The ears only touch drivers if you're wearing them wrong, which most people do when they get them. I love the comfort of these, they actually feel refreshing to put on after wearing others.

I had the same issue with the entire upper end Grado line.  No matter what I did I was not satisfied with the fit.  Driver cover on the ear = ouch.  There should be no need to mod a headphone for fit at the sacrifice for sound.

The AD900's are well extended passed the AD700's bass range which is a definite improvement.  But having a driver cover on your ears is just not worth it in the long run for me.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #49 of 80
The driver only touched my ears when I was wearing them wrong, which consequentially made them not sound so great. Honestly, move them around, these headphones sound is highly dependent on where you've placed them on your ears.

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #50 of 80
Love the Ad700 if it werent for the riduclously loose fit, the shock the drivers give my ears, and the stupid wing design. Sound-wise, they're excellent for hardcore gaming.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #51 of 80
I've owned the 595 and currenlty own the ad700.  Don't bother with the 598, just buy the 558 from Amazon, $100, and do the foam mod.  Same drivers.  

• Stock, the HD595 had better overall sound, but lacked the soundstage the ad700 has.  With the foam mod, and the soundstage mod, the HD595 became much more airy, and closer to the soundstage of the ad700, but not equal.  
  • They are both extremely comfortable, but the ad700 looks kind of ridiculous if you're going to be in public with it.  
  • The HD595 had more bass, and an overall rounder sound that works with almost any genre, rock, electronica, classical, female vocals, etc.  The ad700 has better detail but lacks bass (although it is more accurate bass), and seems to be incoherent at times, and as a result, I can't really find an exact genre that fits well with it.

If you plan on gaming competitively, the ad700 is the way to go.  If you want to listen to music, or want a more involving sound in games, the HD595/8 is the way to go.

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #52 of 80
Does anyone happen to know how these two headphones compare to the Allesandro MS-1i? I'm curious to know since they are in the same price range.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #53 of 80

Quote:
Does anyone happen to know how these two headphones compare to the Allesandro MS-1i? I'm curious to know since they are in the same price range.

That's the other of the three 'hi-fi' phones I have ever owned.  It's like this thread was made for me.  

1. Bass - They have better bass attack speed, but it can be a little emphasized compared to the ad700's.  They are fantastic with rock, but electronica still goes to the HD595's for their more quantitative bass.
  2. Mids -  The mids on the MS-1's are at least on par with the other two. 
  3. Highs -  The highs are much better on the MS-1's than the other two.

Other notes -

The MS-1's have better detail and neutrality around the board.  Perhaps a little too analytical compared to the other two.  This makes them excellent for recordings of actual instruments, but not so good for 'artificial' sounds like trance, electronica, etc.

The comfort is terrible with the stock pads, and only slightly better with the alternative pads (bowls, 404's, etc.).  While I didn't find the pads uncomfortable myself, after owning the ad700 and the HD595, the MS-1's pads are really nothing more than passable.

NINJA EDIT:  I should mention the soundstage on the MS-1's are non-existant.  The MS-1's feel as though you are on the stage with the band, while the HD595's make you feel like a few rows back.  The ad700's feel like you're in a football stadium.  They really aren't good for competitive gaming as a result.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #54 of 80

Quote:
Love the Ad700 if it werent for the riduclously loose fit, the shock the drivers give my ears, and the stupid wing design. Sound-wise, they're excellent for hardcore gaming.

I love both the loose fit and the wing design.  Kind of funny how differently people can experience products, and it just goes to show you that trying something is really the only way to know.

As far as what headphone to get, I've never tried the hd598.  I have used the ad700s for hours and hours though, and I'll say that while I love my ad700s, they don't (in my opinion) suffice as a single do-it-all option.  If you have some good speakers or another headphone then they are a great choice, but I don't think I'd be able to have only the ad700's.  They just aren't very good for movies or single-player games, both of which need much more bass than the ad700s put out.

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #55 of 80
I've owned the 595 and currenlty own the ad700.  Don't bother with the 598, just buy the 558 from Amazon, $100, and do the foam mod.  Same drivers.  

• Stock, the HD595 had better overall sound, but lacked the soundstage the ad700 has.  With the foam mod, and the soundstage mod, the HD595 became much more airy, and closer to the soundstage of the ad700, but not equal.  
  • They are both extremely comfortable, but the ad700 looks kind of ridiculous if you're going to be in public with it.  
  • The HD595 had more bass, and an overall rounder sound that works with almost any genre, rock, electronica, classical, female vocals, etc.  The ad700 has better detail but lacks bass (although it is more accurate bass), and seems to be incoherent at times, and as a result, I can't really find an exact genre that fits well with it.

If you plan on gaming competitively, the ad700 is the way to go.  If you want to listen to music, or want a more involving sound in games, the HD595/8 is the way to go.

Various people who have owned both the 558 and 598 state that they do NOT sound the same post foam mod, because the internal design of the headphone itself makes them sound different, even with the same drivers. If I recall correctly, the 558 post mod sounds about 85% as good as the 598.

I haven't heard the 558, so I can't say whether this is true or not, but I do remember the comparisons, and they all state the 598 is worth it over the 558 even post mod.

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #56 of 80

Quote:
Various people who have owned both the 558 and 598 state that they do NOT sound the same post foam mod, because the internal design of the headphone itself makes them sound different, even with the same drivers. If I recall correctly, the 558 post mod sounds about 85% as good as the 598.

I haven't heard the 558, so I can't say whether this is true or not, but I do remember the comparisons, and they all state the 598 is worth it over the 558 even post mod.

I haven't heard that.  I could have swore that the HD555 and HD595's were the same post foam mod, has that changed with just the xx8 series?

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #57 of 80
Just my two cents on the ATH-AD900 being mentioned here.

Easily the most piercing, bassless, most irritating headphone I've ever listened to.
BUT ALSO
Easily the most comfortable headphone with excellent build quality that you'd expect from a Japanese company.

To this day I still cannot understand those who love them (except perhaps those with damaged hearing...).
Shrill would be an understatement.

I have nothing against the company per se (I own some of their mics, which are excellent) but the ATH-AD900 is just terrible (to my ears).
Best way is to try a few models if you can, if only for their superior fit.

Ever since I tried the ATH-AD900 I have wanted to replace them with a decent headphone in the Audio-Technica range with the same design. I want that comfort level back.

That said, if you don't mind a bit of clamp pressure and a closed design, I would suggest the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, which has a very agreeable sonic signature and is within your budget and is built quite well.

Edit:
Audio-Technica also have their closed designs:
ATH-A900 (without the D)
ATH-A700
ATH-A500  ...etc.

Might be worth looking into.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #59 of 80
Another hate post by brooce on the Ad900 as he recommends the DT770 Pro, more than likely the 80ohm version, which have bloated slow bass. Interesting.

Let's do away with the hostility, please.

If that's his opinion, and he has arguments to support it, him let him be.

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #60 of 80
Keanex, if the ATH-AD900 knocks you off your feet, far be it for me to bring hate to you. Enjoy them.
I will state my opinions honestly though, with no particular allegiance to any manufacturer.

FYI: I have only listened to the 250ohm version of the DT770 Pro (which I own), and the bass is just fine to my ears, but I have read that people find them too bassy.
Different strokes for different folks? That said, they still do have an uncomfortable peak in the upper ranges which can present itself. No headphone is perfect.

That said, I look forward to the day I buy another Audio Technica headphone (I was just looking at them again today), because I want the comfort but I will be avoiding that model obviously. I also look forward to the day I avoid Sennheiser in anything but their higher-end designs (twice bitten, thrice shy...)

The HD650 is looking tempting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back