ATH-AD700 vs HD598's
Sep 2, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #16 of 80
Agreed with the first paragraph. They're subpar for music, but I find them amazing for online gaming. The clarity and sound detail is just fantastic. As far as the Samsun SR850, anyone else try these for gaming, I'd like to see a few other reviews on them.

I may give the HD598s a shot in the near future, perhaps as a stepping stone to the AKG K70x, but not due to the lack of bass. I'd like to know if clarity, sound detail, and directional positioning can get even better with the AKGs.

Quote:
Heya,

Yeap. Because I'm factoring that he'll end up buying a second headphone, meeting that "price difference" when he realizes they don't sound great for everything, and are really meh when it comes to music that involves bass. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe he will love the anemic signature of the AD700 (and even the AD900). But pop and rock with no bottom end? Meh. HD598 would be much more thrilling with some bass. So yea, factored.

HD598, you buy one headphone.
AD700, you will buy other headphones.

Note, many are likely to buy more headphones anyways.

When it comes to throwing down money on an expensive headphone, you might as well get the most you can for your money. Frankly, the AD700 is not the most. Not even close. I don't get the hype around that headphone. If someone was really on a budget and cost mattered, they'd get a headphone that was if nothing more able to accomplish a good sound in all music types. AD700 isn't it.

And if we're talking price factoring, the Samson SR850 (Superlux HD668B) is better than the AD700. Has bass. And is less expensive.

Very best,

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #17 of 80

Quote:
Agreed with the first paragraph. They're subpar for music, but I find them amazing for online gaming. The clarity and sound detail is just fantastic. As far as the Samsun SR850, anyone else try these for gaming, I'd like to see a few other reviews on them.

I may give the HD598s a shot in the near future, perhaps as a stepping stone to the AKG K70x, but not due to the lack of bass. I'd like to know if clarity, sound detail, and directional positioning can get even better with the AKGs.

Many people like the AD700 for most types of music. I can listen to mostly anything through them and not mind. Pop and hip hop sounds superior on some other phones (DT440 or MS1) sure but it doesn't necessarily sound bad on the AD700.  The HD555 or M50 have more bass than the AD700 for example but Id pick the AD700 over either of them pretty much all the time.

Sep 2, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #18 of 80
I have tried the ad900 and the hd598 and the ad900 wins hands down. I didn't like the veil of the hd598. The mids on the hd598 may be slightly forward but they are but they not as clear as I like. The ad900 is much more clear and less grainy, plus the soundstage is larger too.
If the ad700 sounds similar to the ad900 then I would say it sounds better than the hd598 too but with a lack of bass. I heard bass boosters (like Sony's clear bass) and various amps (fiio e11 or digizoid zo) can add a little bass to the ad700 to make it sound much better. If you don't have a bass booster or an amp that can boost bass then definitely go with the hd598.

If I were you I would try to find a used pair of ad900s.

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #20 of 80
It's not immediately the impedance that matters when you want to drive a headphone.
It's how much power they need at their impedance. E.g. the HD650 is rated for 500mW @ 300ohms. (according to Sennheiser anyway).
That does not mean that the HD650 needs an amp that can at least 500mW @300ohms, but it is rather an indicator that the amp should be somewhere in that range.

I think the FA-011's are rated for 400mW @ 160ohm, but I have no idea as to what the power output of the DG is.

Edit: I found the specs of the headphone amp (TI DRV601RTJR), and it seems to say that it can pump 2Vrms into a 600ohm load. But I don't know what that says about power, since that would imply it puts out 6.7mW given that P = V^2/R.
Maybe someone else can give a better explanation?

Source: http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/227470/TI/DRV601RTJR.html

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #21 of 80
I see.
So... basically, the decision remains HD598's or the AD900's... I've heard BAD things about the AD900's soundstage, although both seem pretty easy to drive... we'll see. Both are good options.

Sep 3, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #22 of 80

Quote:
I see.
So... basically, the decision remains HD598's or the AD900's... I've heard BAD things about the AD900's soundstage, although both seem pretty easy to drive... we'll see. Both are good options.

What have you heard about the AD900's soundstage that was bad. Most reviews I have seen of it state it is one of the larger soundstages in headphones mainly being beaten by the K701 and maybe the DT880. If it is anything like the AD700 then it is not bad at all unless your thinking it might be to large or distant sounding.

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #23 of 80

Quote:
I've heard BAD things about the AD900's soundstage,

Huh? I guess it's true that no matter how good something is there exists someone who will find fault in it.

With that said, a very large majority of people who heard the ad900 agree that it has very good and impressive soundstage (one of the best ever).
There are not many people selling them used. Meaning, many who own them are not so willing to give them up. That's how I knew the ad900 was awesome before even listening to it. I've seen more other used good headphones for sale, like the akg701s, denon d2000 (hard to believe for such a good can), HD598s, etc. But not so much the ad900. Don't get me wrong, the hd598 is a great can (I had it). It is a jack of all trades type of headphone (good slightly forward mids, good soundstage, adequate bass, good highs, nice look to them, good comfort, etc.)  But I would rather trade slightly greater bass and better looks for greater clarity and even better soundstage any day of the week. Plus I have plenty of clean bass boosters (sony player, rockbox sansa clip+, fiio e11, digizoid zo, etc.) so having slightly less bass than the hd598 isn't a minus at all. Actually on quite a few of my music tracks the bass of the ad900 is just right and I'm a former bass head (jvc fx700 and fx500, hippo vb, ie8, denon d2000, etc).

Both are great cans and I'll you will be happy with either one, but I like the ad900.

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #24 of 80

IMO the AD700's soundstage is larger than that of the K702/DT-880. AD900 soundstage should be about the same size I imagine.
The only larger soundstage I've heard is maybe the K501. I haven't compared them lately though.

My favorite gaming headphones are the following in order:

AKG K501
AKG K601
HD-598
AKG K702
AD700

Closed, I love the KRK KNS-6400 for gaming. Very few closed headphones I'd suggest for gaming.

Of course all these above are mostly for competitive gaming. Can't go wrong with the HD-598 for gaming.
Normally I don't like to suggest the K702 because it's soundstage is so goofy and artifically huge, however that's possible.
HD-600 also isn't too bad.

ATH-AD2000 was another favorite, but you'd have to be crazy to buy that for gaming. I'd take that over the AD700 any day.

Quote:
What have you heard about the AD900's soundstage that was bad. Most reviews I have seen of it state it is one of the larger soundstages in headphones mainly being beaten by the K701 and maybe the DT880. If it is anything like the AD700 then it is not bad at all unless your thinking it might be to large or distant sounding.

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #25 of 80
For me, AD700's soundstage is pretty hard to describe.  It is definitely distant, but it's also cluttered sounding compared to more refined cans as well, and I consider separation and layering just as big aspect of soundstaging as raw depth to be.  However while in dolby headphone, the soundstage of the AD700 really shows its remarkable size.

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #26 of 80
I second his comments below.  The AD700 and 598 are basically identical other than frequency response.  The 598 is well extended in the bass whereas the AD700's really drop off there.  You are better off with the 598.  It will keep you from having to upgrade later when you suddenly realize you have a can without any thump.

Quote:
Heya,

Adequate bass? Or anemic bass?

Get the HD598's. Hands down. Not even a contest.

Very best,

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #28 of 80
I can personally say I HATE the AD700s for comfort. Headache within 2 minutes for reasons I do not know of. Pads are just awkward to me, much prefer true circumaural rather than having it slightly touch my ears.

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #29 of 80
Musically the HD598 should easily beat the AD700 (or MS-1,, HD555, etc) but that should be expected given the price.  Gaming wise Im not too sure about.  Only problem with the HD598 is that I feel Id rather go for the DT440 or AD900 if I was spending that much.

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #30 of 80
I'm being told 598's are better all arounders but that I'll enjoy both. I'll get whichever is cheapest. Sounds good? Leaning towards the 598's because they have less issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back