ATH-AD700 vs HD598's
Sep 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #78 of 80
Quote:
When it comes to throwing down money on an expensive headphone, you might as well get the most you can for your money. Frankly, the AD700 is not the most. Not even close. I don't get the hype around that headphone. If someone was really on a budget and cost mattered, they'd get a headphone that was if nothing more able to accomplish a good sound in all music types. AD700 isn't it.

Don't quite agree on that. If I were to throw down the most I can for my money, I'd be getting ones MUCH more expensive then I'm getting. I personally, just found the best value with ones being cheaper, and having 90% of the SQ. But that said, between the AD700 and HD598, I'll agree with what you've said. AD700 is a hard headphone to like in ways. It does music and games quite well, yet lacks bass. Music on the other hand, is usually it's weakest aspect, due to literally zero bass. HD598 though can swiss army knife through pretty much everything you throw at it, because it has the capabilities to do so. So I'll agree, if you have a choice, the HD598 is indeed the much better headphone than the AD700. I'd even say so for comfort, but never had 10 hours on my hands where I could do 5 hours on each to see which won out.

Quote:
HD-598 is very comfortable, but a step down from the K601 when it comes to comfort.

I still like the HD598 better. K601 is quite nice, but that headband is still hard leather vs the squishy padding on the HD598.

Quote:
I've owned the 595 and currenlty own the ad700.  Don't bother with the 598, just buy the 558 from Amazon, $100, and do the foam mod.  Same drivers.  

I've owned the HD558, HD598, AD700, and AD900 all at the same time. (Dang, another missed comparison opportunity)
HD555 and HD595 are the same drivers. Foam mod the HD555 to equal HD595. HD558 and HD598 are different drivers. Foam mod does not work. Besides, the HD598 are a whole heck of a lot more comfortable.

Quote:
Just my two cents on the ATH-AD900 being mentioned here.

Easily the most piercing, bassless, most irritating headphone I've ever listened to.

Ow, guess it just wasn't your sound. I found them piercing and irritating in no way, shape, or form. I suggest never trying the DT990.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #79 of 80

Quote:
Don't quite agree on that. If I were to throw down the most I can for my money, I'd be getting ones MUCH more expensive then I'm getting. I personally, just found the best value with ones being cheaper, and having 90% of the SQ. But that said, between the AD700 and HD598, I'll agree with what you've said. AD700 is a hard headphone to like in ways. It does music and games quite well, yet lacks bass. Music on the other hand, is usually it's weakest aspect, due to literally zero bass. HD598 though can swiss army knife through pretty much everything you throw at it, because it has the capabilities to do so. So I'll agree, if you have a choice, the HD598 is indeed the much better headphone than the AD700. I'd even say so for comfort, but never had 10 hours on my hands where I could do 5 hours on each to see which won out.

I still like the HD598 better. K601 is quite nice, but that headband is still hard leather vs the squishy padding on the HD598.

I've owned the HD558, HD598, AD700, and AD900 all at the same time. (Dang, another missed comparison opportunity)
HD555 and HD595 are the same drivers. Foam mod the HD555 to equal HD595. HD558 and HD598 are different drivers. Foam mod does not work. Besides, the HD598 are a whole heck of a lot more comfortable.

Ow, guess it just wasn't your sound. I found them piercing and irritating in no way, shape, or form. I suggest never trying the DT990.

I agree 100%. I find the ad900s to be a breath of fresh air. Either he was used to dark headphones, he was listening to harsh recorded files, or it was something wrong with the pair he had. I listened to many headphones (ultrasones included) and in no way did I find them piercing or irritating. Personally, with a very slight eq up in the low bass these are easily the best headphones I ever heard in my life. Time to sell my denon d2000.
tongue.gif

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #80 of 80
Sorry for bumping this thread...

How does the A700 fit in here ? It is closed which means it has some bass and uses the same drivers ad the AD700 so the soundstage should be similar as well ... ? how would the A700 compare with HD598 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back