ATH-AD700 vs HD598's
Sep 2, 2011 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

csm725

Head-Fier
I've narrowed it down to these two cans.
Usage will be mostly gaming, some rock/pop, and I'd like great mids, a good soundstage, and adequate bass.
Should be comfortable but not necessarily the be-all-end-all of comfort.
Cheers,
csm

Sep 2, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 80
I'm sure that both cans would suffice in terms of comfort. My question is which sounds better and slightly more importantly, which is better for gaming (directional, soundstage). It's clear to me that the Audio Technica open cans will be more comfortable but the 598s are good enough.

Sep 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 80

Quote:
I forgot, These could be the end all of comfort.

The AD700s? They're pretty close, but now that I have my Stax Lambdas, I'd have to say those are the end-all be-all of comfort while staying on my head better.

I can't vouch for or against the HD 598 or similar models like the 555/595/558, simply because I haven't heard them at all.

Back to the AD700: they definitely synergize well with binaural surround techs like CMSS-3D Headphone and Dolby Headphone, they're comfortable, and they're affordable. While the bass is definitely anemic, bass boost/EQ helps quite a bit...unless you overdo it, at which point it seems to intrude into the mids. Some say that the relative lack of bass is actually what makes them so good for FPS gaming, so that explosions don't drown out footsteps.

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 80
From what I've heard the AD700 is better for gaming, and has better sound quality in general. It does however lack bass, as most people here have already mentioned.

I suggest googling 'ATH-AD700 vs HD598'. You'll be amazed how many threads on different sites pop up, discussing the exact same issue.
Also read some reviews on both headphones. The more you read, the more you know, and the better you'll be able to make a good decision.

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 80
When you factor in the price, hands down AD700s over HD598, unless the price difference isn't an issue for you.

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 80
Have you factored in the price difference? For $90 you get amazing gaming performance and good for movies, which IMO is pretty hard to beat.

Quote:
Have you ever listened to the HD598's compared to AD700's and compared them for gaming?

Very best,

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 80

Quote:
Have you factored in the price difference?

Heya,

Yeap. Because I'm factoring that he'll end up buying a second headphone, meeting that "price difference" when he realizes they don't sound great for everything, and are really meh when it comes to music that involves bass. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe he will love the anemic signature of the AD700 (and even the AD900). But pop and rock with no bottom end? Meh. HD598 would be much more thrilling with some bass. So yea, factored.

HD598, you buy one headphone.
AD700, you will buy other headphones.

Note, many are likely to buy more headphones anyways.

When it comes to throwing down money on an expensive headphone, you might as well get the most you can for your money. Frankly, the AD700 is not the most. Not even close. I don't get the hype around that headphone. If someone was really on a budget and cost mattered, they'd get a headphone that was if nothing more able to accomplish a good sound in all music types. AD700 isn't it.

And if we're talking price factoring, the Samson SR850 (Superlux HD668B) is better than the AD700. Has bass. And is less expensive.

Very best,

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #14 of 80
I doubt I'd buy a second pair in the future, as far as I can see, budget-wise, it can't happen. So... if the HD598's are THAT good... how are HD558's? Any other good alternatives? AD900's also lack in bass then? Too bad. I'm off to bed, but my absolute high end is $200. No more than that for the cans. Prefer ~$175 which is a pair of 598's new, anything else good for that range? 

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #15 of 80

Quote:
I doubt I'd buy a second pair in the future, as far as I can see, budget-wise, it can't happen. So... if the HD598's are THAT good... how are HD558's? Any other good alternatives? AD900's also lack in bass then? Too bad. I'm off to bed, but my absolute high end is $200. No more than that for the cans. Prefer ~$175 which is a pair of 598's new, anything else good for that range? 

Heya,

Get the better headphone that can do a lot more for you in more applications then. The HD598 is a good headphone for that, assuming you like the style. It's not your typical Sennheiser. Other headphones that come to mind for consideration are the Fischer Audio FA-011, Samson SR850 or Superlux HD688B (same headphone, two different rebrand styles), AKG K240 MK II. Also, check out some great deals on barely used models for a great price, like the AKG K601, BeyerDynamic DT880's, and even the AudioTechnica AD900 (note, just listing for reference since the price is good, still don't think it's great).

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back