Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Oct 14, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #1,981 of 2,727
People on R5 thread who have both say the r5 is more full in terms of bass. Is that not true.
That depends on the earphones you are using, the r5 is has more bass, but in general the sound on the SR15 is more detailed, including bass. I prefer the bass of the SR15, but not by far. For the flexibility of use, and being not so much bigger than the SR15, for daily, use I prefer the R5, but when I sit to listen music at home, the SR15 is my choice.
If you use erarphones like the E5000 or the Campfire Comet, there is not so big difference in sound, but with earphones like the K3003, the Xelento or the W80, the SR15 sounds better. For daily use I usualy match the R5 with the Comet, and although not so detailed, the sound is very nice.

Oct 15, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #1,982 of 2,727
Not going to lie, the lack of firmware updates is disappointing.

I’m sure you’ve been told this @JasonNYC, but they need to sort this out. It’s been ages since the Roon promise was made. Astell & Kern need to come clean with people on what’s going on.

Oct 15, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #1,984 of 2,727
yup
still nothing on neutron either
We most likely will not support Neutron any time soon. I fully tested it and it works well with our players, but the only way to purchase it without Google Play installed is to pay the developer, then provide your email server details and login info for them to log into your email and confirm you purchased it. I reached out to the developer about that and he basically told me that was they way they do it. Way too much of a risk for users to provide full access to their email to a random developer. It's just super shady in my opinion. If the authentication process changes in the future, we will look into supporting it.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 15, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #1,985 of 2,727
We most likely will not support Neutron any time soon. I fully tested it and it works well with our players, but the only way to purchase it without Google Play installed is to pay the developer, then provide your email server details and login info for them to log into your email and confirm you purchased it. I reached out to the developer about that and he basically told me that was they way they do it. Way too much of a risk for users to provide full access to their email to a random developer. It's just super shady in my opinion. If the authentication process changes in the future, we will look into supporting it.

Who says you need to use your actual main email account? You just need to set up a free email account thats random and use that when you purchase and let the app verify it.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #1,986 of 2,727
If we look at size as the motivated factor here, there is no other dap that is this small that does what the sr15 does. Period. The r5 is bigger. The r3 doesn't do offline tidal
So given the size and function the sr15 has no peers.
Now are there daps that are better , yes. My r6pro has superior interface and battery life. And power output. But it's a brick.
Hands down, the streamlined linterface is Android free. No background bull****. Sounds top notch and is small and looks amazing.
So unless you can show me a comparable sized dap, the sr15 is King in this field as their are no other competition. The ibasso dx160 looked promising but also is too big and it also has Android in it's entirety that sucks battery in the background.
I want a great form. Check. Basic music player. Check. No bull**** running around n background. Check. Tital on and offline check. As well as Spotify on and off. Check and double check.
Sounds great. Double check.
Could battery life be better. Well maybe. I get 9 hours unbalanced. So I can charge at end of day.
I don't need Netflix or other time suckers. Music only. That's what it does and does better than anyone else. No competition.
Portability wise, the R5 is undoubtedly bigger but only by mere millimeters which is rather negligible AFAIK. It's thinner than the SR15 too

Oct 18, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #1,987 of 2,727
Not going to lie, the lack of firmware updates is disappointing.

I’m sure you’ve been told this @JasonNYC, but they need to sort this out. It’s been ages since the Roon promise was made. Astell & Kern need to come clean with people on what’s going on.

@JasonNYC It's nice, that you are working on Roon. (It really has been promised what feels like ages ago.)

But even more important to me is... PLAYLIST SUPPORT! It worked great, just until around a few updates ago and now it has been broken for quite some while. I regard fixing this (for a portable DAP) essential feature of highest priority. At the moment AK is selling an all in all wonderful player that lacks the ability to import playlists. How is that possible and not making your guys in development cry themselves to sleep every night? Will it ever be fixed?

Oct 18, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #1,988 of 2,727
Just got my SR15 week after having a pioneer xdp30r and a fiio m9. The SR15 is fantastic sound wise although the Pioneer was pretty good.
I'm using akg k451's and they are good but I'd love a great sounding pair of in ears (up toto £100) get the best out of the SR15 .
Any suggestions guys ?
Thanks .

Oct 23, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #1,990 of 2,727
Now that the newer versions of Spotify and Apple Music are packaged with split apks, does anyone know how to install on the SR15? I know how to use the SAI app and also how to install from ADB, i.e. "adb install-multiple -r base.apk split_config.armeabi_v7a.apk split_config.hdpi.apk". SAI isn't supported in openapp and I don't know how to enable USB debugging for ADB. Anyone have a solution?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #1,991 of 2,727
Is there a way to go back to where you were in the album menu without using the floating back button (as opposed to swiping left and starting from the top of the albums again)?

Also the floating back button doesn't always seem to respond when I press it.

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #1,992 of 2,727
Is there a way to go back to where you were in the album menu without using the floating back button (as opposed to swiping left and starting from the top of the albums again)?

Along these same lines, looks like the floating button does not go away while in Tidal even when disabled in the main settings.

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #1,993 of 2,727
Try downloading the most recent apk for tidal. Uninstall last version and reinstall newest. Now when you disable floating button in settings it disables in tidal

Anyone have a cure for the annoying skipping in sings that have been downloaded via tidal offline? Not sure if it's not just an mqa issue though. Or is it if downloaded to SD card? Either way this is making me want to sell the sr15

Oct 24, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #1,994 of 2,727

Tapping the album artwork while playing alternates between the artwork and a menu.

On the menu on the left hand side is a back arrow that takes you back to the track and then album list at the point you were browsing.

Your browsing point is reset though when you shut down.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back