Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Oct 2, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #2,716 of 2,727
I tried both mac (osx 13.6) and windows 10, through usb 2 and 3. Nothing seems to work. i managed to get it to work once as usb DAC on OSX but it stopped after a few minutes, and since then i could not manage to get it to work again. On windows 10 it never worked, i got the "connected device" sound but the SR15 only charges and the usb mode don't get activated.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #2,717 of 2,727
I tried both mac (osx 13.6) and windows 10, through usb 2 and 3. Nothing seems to work. i managed to get it to work once as usb DAC on OSX but it stopped after a few minutes, and since then i could not manage to get it to work again. On windows 10 it never worked, i got the "connected device" sound but the SR15 only charges and the usb mode don't get activated.

Sounds like you have covered the obvious, I'm not really sure what to try next. Reboots, resets and cables is all I can think of at this point. Sorry I was no help.

Did you install the Windows USB driver? Not completely sure if it is required or not:

https://www.astellnkern.com/support...bsType=download&pageSize=10&page=1&langType=1

Oct 3, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #2,720 of 2,727
I'm on the last firmware. But i finally managed to get it to work. the issue was the cable. I tried maybe 7 différents cable and i finally found one that works every time. funny thing is that it's a crappy cable from an aliexpress chineses game console, so not a very high quality one but it works flawlessly.

So for people who have issue with the usb mode, i would suggest trying all the cables they have to find one that works. Or even better, use the official AK cable that comes with the player (i bought mine second hand and didn't have the cable with it).

I hope this will help :)

Jan 20, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #2,721 of 2,727
Hidizs MP145 goes very well with SR15. Both single and balanced.

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #2,725 of 2,727
I recently picked up one of these SR15 as my first non-iPhone DAP (since iPods back in the day).

What I could use is some advice on how to create a bass-heavy EQ setting which I like for some of my electronic music (Lorn, etc). I have an Ifi Zen DAC I use with my laptop which has a button "XBass" and I am looking to replicate this effect as closely as I can with AK SR15 EQ settings. I messed around a bit myself, but all I ended up with is a very low-volume effect without much bass boost.
I should probably learn all about EQ and study it, etc. but I am living a life with 0 free time right now (like 10 min per 24 hours) so I just don't have the bandwidth to "dig in" on EQ. Any cheater tips would be awesome!

Any tips would be appreciated!

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #2,726 of 2,727
I recently picked up one of these SR15 as my first non-iPhone DAP (since iPods back in the day).

What I could use is some advice on how to create a bass-heavy EQ setting which I like for some of my electronic music (Lorn, etc). I have an Ifi Zen DAC I use with my laptop which has a button "XBass" and I am looking to replicate this effect as closely as I can with AK SR15 EQ settings. I messed around a bit myself, but all I ended up with is a very low-volume effect without much bass boost.
I should probably learn all about EQ and study it, etc. but I am living a life with 0 free time right now (like 10 min per 24 hours) so I just don't have the bandwidth to "dig in" on EQ. Any cheater tips would be awesome!

Any tips would be appreciated!

@oratory1990 posted this on Reddit:

With a single filter like this you should be able to recreate this relatively well:

Filter TypeFrequencyGainQ-Factor
Low-Shelf55 Hz12.3 dB0.65
This gets you relatively close.
You can play with the Q-factor, a lower Q-factor (e.g. 0.5 or 0.6) will shift some of the subbass energy into the lower mids, and a higher Q-factor (e.g. 0.7 or 0.8) will do the opposite and shift some of the lower mid energy into the subbass.

If you want a more accurate representation of the exact same curve of the XBass function, you'll need multiple filters:

Peaking36 Hz1.4 dB2.00
Peaking47 Hz-3.6 dB1.40
Low Shelf52 Hz6.5 dB0.71
Low Shelf80 Hz5.8 dB0.58
This gets you within 0.1 dB of the XBass curve.

Note that you will likely need negative gain to prevent clipping. I would suggest -12 dB... and yes this will reduce the overall volume level. I don't have my SR15 handy to see how possible this setting is in the A&K UI so I can't help there.

Mar 18, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #2,727 of 2,727
@oratory1990 posted this on Reddit:

With a single filter like this you should be able to recreate this relatively well:

Low-Shelf55 Hz12.3 dB0.65
This gets you relatively close.
You can play with the Q-factor, a lower Q-factor (e.g. 0.5 or 0.6) will shift some of the subbass energy into the lower mids, and a higher Q-factor (e.g. 0.7 or 0.8) will do the opposite and shift some of the lower mid energy into the subbass.

If you want a more accurate representation of the exact same curve of the XBass function, you'll need multiple filters:

Peaking36 Hz1.4 dB2.00
Peaking47 Hz-3.6 dB1.40
Low Shelf52 Hz6.5 dB0.71
Low Shelf80 Hz5.8 dB0.58
This gets you within 0.1 dB of the XBass curve.

Note that you will likely need negative gain to prevent clipping. I would suggest -12 dB... and yes this will reduce the overall volume level. I don't have my SR15 handy to see how possible this setting is in the A&K UI so I can't help there.
I love this level of detail, but unfortunately this doesn’t work with the AKSR15

I don’t see filters and when I go to EQ “Advanced” I can only adjust Freq/Q/Gain

Freq can be 30/60/125/250/500
Q ranges from 2.0 - 4.0
Gain has a wide range

Can anyone provide the cheat code for basshead EQ on SR15?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back