Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Jun 24, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #2,704 of 2,727
My astell kern sr15 hangs on the astell logo and doesn't start, does anyone have a similar problem?

I'm not sure what you have tried or what initiated the problem, but you could try to hold the power button for an extended period and see if that helps. If you could give more details you might get better help.

Sep 14, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #2,707 of 2,727
depends what you are trying to determine by relevant really ? Not trying to sound too evasive, but I have one that I just listen to flacs from the SD card and it is great
What sort of features etc. would you use to help determine if it is relevant or not

Sep 14, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #2,708 of 2,727
depends what you are trying to determine by relevant really ? Not trying to sound too evasive, but I have one that I just listen to flacs from the SD card and it is great
What sort of features etc. would you use to help determine if it is relevant or not
Let's just say in terms of sound quality first, since that's the greater elephant in the room and then followed by the UI fluidity (lag, etc).

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #2,709 of 2,727
Let's just say in terms of sound quality first, since that's the greater elephant in the room and then followed by the UI fluidity (lag, etc).

The SR15 is fine player using the SD Card for your library. Otherwise it is incredibly slow and the Android 5 OS is a real compatibility problem with recent versions of streaming apps. The built-in Tidal still works but who knows for how much longer...

Soundwise, it still competitive with low to mid range DAPs IMO.

Sep 17, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #2,710 of 2,727
The SR15 is fine player using the SD Card for your library. Otherwise it is incredibly slow and the Android 5 OS is a real compatibility problem with recent versions of streaming apps. The built-in Tidal still works but who knows for how much longer...

Soundwise, it still competitive with low to mid range DAPs IMO.
I agree soundwise - It uses the CS43198 in a dual DAC configuration which is still used in the SR series and many other players even the likes of the LP W2.
If you look at the measurements on reference audio the probably best to avoid a lower impedance (16 ohm) DD IEMs, 32 ohm and above measures quite respectably.
Not sure about driving full sized cans or hiss sensitive IEMs.

I like the form factor and the no frills AK UI. I get about 7.5 hours flac single ended output which some may find limiting but it never bothered me much.
I almost always use DD IEMs (Olina SE, moondrop Kata, Acoustune) and they all play very nicely with the unbalanced output.

When it came out it was quite highly regarded sonically - and it sounds the same today as it did then, where it got left behind was the android version, battery life etc. bluetooth codecs etc. etc. Things that are mostly secondary to enjoying some flacs on an SD card.

It doesn't offer access to any of the CS filters - not that I could ever hear a difference anyways, but the EQ is quite nice (albeit a bit fiddly on such a small screen with average size hands). The EQ is much nicer to use on the SE100 where the screen size makes life a bit more practicable.

Honestly I wish daps would drop the whole android os thing as it is an atrocious piece of software but that is just my $0.02 and not relevant to this discussion

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #2,711 of 2,727
Hey there, any idea if the SR15 is still relevant nowadays? I don't stream since I have more than enough digital flacs, etc. I kept seeing the SR15 on sale for less than $300.
I am not sure if you can find brand new one. SR25 is slightly better, SR25 Mark II is slightly better than just SR25, and SR35 is slightly better than SR25 Mark II.
The only real downside of SR15 is battery life. Soundwise it is +/- on par with successors along the line.

The rest is the price. AK are at the bottom of price/quality scale as relatively overpriced if compared to Fiio, Shanling or Hiby. SRs are on par with their mid-range in the same price bracket soundwise, but behind in terms of base hardware and UI.

Oct 2, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #2,712 of 2,727
Hello. i recently bought an AK SR15 and is quite happy with it but today i tried to use the USB DAC function and i just can't get it to work properly. It worked once but since then the usb mode doesn't trigger when i plug the payer to usb. I tried differents cables and computer but with no luck, the device charges but usb mode don't start. I'm on the last firmware and i already tried to soft reset the player. Any tips or advice ? Is it possible to resintall the firmware or downgrade ? thanks for your help

Oct 2, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #2,713 of 2,727
Hello. i recently bought an AK SR15 and is quite happy with it but today i tried to use the USB DAC function and i just can't get it to work properly. It worked once but since then the usb mode doesn't trigger when i plug the payer to usb. I tried differents cables and computer but with no luck, the device charges but usb mode don't start. I'm on the last firmware and i already tried to soft reset the player. Any tips or advice ? Is it possible to resintall the firmware or downgrade ? thanks for your help

Didi you change the USB mode from DISK to DAC?

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #2,715 of 2,727
when i go to settings, i can't change usb mode to DAC. And when plugged in the usb mode icon doesn't do anything when i press it. the device charges but it's like the usb connection is not detected.

What are you connecting to - Mac, PC (Windows), etc...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back