Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jun 2, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #646 of 2,698
i am not saying that at all, the balanced cable which is a cheap one i bought off from ebay by an unknown company was really bad. When I replaced it with a good balanced cable the change was really obvious in maintaining sound quality of the lcd2 while pushing it loud with kann. I only have an audeze single ended cable and using it with Kann was not great as compared to balanced. As to volume on some albums I can reach easily 120 - 130, while on other I can listen to music at 100

Again u must know that my previous judgement on driving lcd2 in balanced was from using a very very bad balanced cable and it literally is I think even defective. After replacing it with a balanced cable the lcd2 is driven nicely.

Now what u mean using single ended and an adapter to be used balanced , u can not go from a cable that is single ended and use it balanced by just using an adapter its the other way around, you can go from balanced to single ended

I wouldn't be surprised if the cable you purchased from eBay was wired "out of phase" for one of the channels (or both) which would "suck" the life out of the sound and make it sound Dull and un-lively.

Jun 2, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #649 of 2,698
I wouldn't be surprised if the cable you purchased from eBay was wired "out of phase" for one of the channels (or both) which would "suck" the life out of the sound and make it sound Dull and un-lively.
it literally is such a bad cable that the difference is big with the norne audio cable, that old balanced cable is a piece of crap. Norne audio cable is really nice and trevor from norne is amazing person

Jun 2, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #650 of 2,698
What connection type will provide more power for my Z1R's? The balanced 2.5mm or regular 3.5mm?

2.5mm gives more authority, lower noise floor and better separation. Drives Z1R with ease. Unlike the WM1A which felt a bit lacking even in balanced mode.
IMG_1450.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #651 of 2,698
. Trying to decide between the Kann, the Cayin IT and the Opus #3. Anyone have feedback regarding these devices that would put me over the edge?

Looking for a portable DAP to replace Pono that also has streaming capability and won't break the bank.

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #655 of 2,698
Jun 4, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #656 of 2,698
It is a beautiful player, but I prefer to have removable storage... microSD cards provide plenty of storage and will be more practical and economical in the long run.
what on earth are you saying so we can help u out

Jun 4, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #657 of 2,698
I would like a player like the Kann to have a 2TB internal HDD and removable MicroSD (don't require the full SD). Then... I'd be all set! I'd remove all the music off of my PCs and just use the Kann everywhere with a docking station at all locations.

Jun 4, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #660 of 2,698
anybody have advice on how to get artwork on here for albums ripped from itunes?
AFAIK you need a graphic of the cover named "folder.jpg" in the folder with the songs -- I use amazon, click on the album image, right-click, save as, name it folder.jpg, then put it in the folder. I rip CDs with dBpoweramp, which saves the album image automagically; for albums I receive from a friend who uses iTunes, I fetch the image manually. Also, HD music from HDtracks has a pdf with the cover ( and sometimes more), for those I open the pdf and save-as jpg to get the cover image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back