Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jun 17, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #2,686 of 2,698
I've had my KANN for a few years now, and while I've generally enjoyed it, I think it's on the way out - The volume scroller no longer works, the 3.5mm jack output seems to be dead, and the battery isn't what it used to be.

If I was looking to replace it, does anyone have any recommendations?

I need dual SD card capability due to the size of my library, which means I've so far got the choice narrowed down to:

A) another Kann, replacing like with like.

B) Fiio M11 - looks interesting, and Android user system and ability to load apps is a plus, but I don't know how it sounds compared with the Kann.

C) something else I'm not aware of.

Has anyone been able to compare the Kann and the M11? Or knows of another dual SD card DAP?

Jun 17, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #2,687 of 2,698
I've had my KANN for a few years now, and while I've generally enjoyed it, I think it's on the way out - The volume scroller no longer works, the 3.5mm jack output seems to be dead, and the battery isn't what it used to be.

I need dual SD card capability due to the size of my library, which means I've so far got the choice narrowed down to:

B) Fiio M11 - looks interesting, and Android user system and ability to load apps is a plus, but I don't know how it sounds compared with the Kann.

Has anyone been able to compare the Kann and the M11? Or knows of another dual SD card DAP?
I moved from the Kann to the M11. The sound is comparable and I only have a couple of minor niggles. The image display for album covers is more picky on the Fiio - it is less capable than the Kann in this area. I only use it as a music player so I can't really comment on all the other features that Android can enable. I am overall really happy with the M11 - thumbs up from me.

Jun 17, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #2,688 of 2,698
The M11 is ancient (Android 7, etc). I would suggest a newer DAP and a larger SD Card as a much better overall solution.

Jun 17, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #2,690 of 2,698
Hi, I'm the person selling the m11 in classifieds....

It does sound great to my ears and the only reason I'm selling is that I got a mojo2 and tend to plug that into my phone more often.

The m11 is indeed running on android 7, which is "ancient" but works fine for running apps like Google, playstore, Uapp, Poweramp, YouTube, Reddit etc. The only thing I struggled with is BBC sounds app. That doesn't seem to want to download to it. WiFi works fine if you have a decent signal.

I have 2x 1 tb cards installed and Uapp access the music quickly.

Ps I don't use any streaming services, so cannot vouch for that. All my music is locally stored on the SD cards as a mix of mp3 and flac.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #2,691 of 2,698
Hi, I'm the person selling the m11 in classifieds....

It does sound great to my ears and the only reason I'm selling is that I got a mojo2 and tend to plug that into my phone more often.

The m11 is indeed running on android 7, which is "ancient" but works fine for running apps like Google, playstore, Uapp, Poweramp, YouTube, Reddit etc. The only thing I struggled with is BBC sounds app. That doesn't seem to want to download to it. WiFi works fine if you have a decent signal.

I have 2x 1 tb cards installed and Uapp access the music quickly.

Ps I don't use any streaming services, so cannot vouch for that. All my music is locally stored on the SD cards as a mix of mp3 and flac.

Oops, sorry about that. I certainly wasn't trying to ruin any kind of deal or sale... :wink:

If 2 SD Cards are an absolute must, the M11 is likely the best you can do. None of the newer DAPS have that and the M11 is solid, just older.

Jun 17, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #2,692 of 2,698
Oops, sorry about that. I certainly wasn't trying to ruin any kind of deal or sale... :wink:

If 2 SD Cards are an absolute must, the M11 is likely the best you can do. None of the newer DAPS have that and the M11 is solid, just older.
No problems, just thought I could clarify 😉

Jun 17, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #2,693 of 2,698

Depending on where you are, I'd contact AK and see if your issues are repairable and what it would cost. Any M11 you'd buy would probably be used anyway with potential issues down the road. I'd think the cost to fix the Kann would be less than a M11.

Only Fiio dap I've had was the M17, and I prefer the Kann if only taking into consideration the sound.

Jun 17, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #2,695 of 2,698
My Kann ( original) is working flawlessly, with exception no updates can’t stream directly from player,,
Was considering another dap, AKse 300 seems interesting but worried how long would streaming services be supported
Honestly my kann SQ is amazing tube like sound, thick velvety notes

Jun 17, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #2,697 of 2,698

Users who are viewing this thread

Back