Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Nov 9, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #2,671 of 2,698
I am using two ways when I want to listen to Qobuz on Kann (which I also find tube-like)
1. Using Kann as USB-DAC out of either desktop or laptop computer, or from smartphone. It needs a usb cable to the micro-usb slot. (From smartphone it has to be USB-C to micro usb OTG cable)
2. Using AK connect service on Kann, playing Qobuz from BubbleUpnp on android smartphone, or from mconnect app on iPhone to Kann. I found mconnect more stable and more comfortable than BubbleUpnp. I think both app support tidal as well. This methods needs wlan, but works even on smartphone hotspot.
What is needed on the Kann for BubbleUpnp to see it? I've loaded it on my android phone but it will not see the Kann.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #2,672 of 2,698
What is needed on the Kann for BubbleUpnp to see it? I've loaded it on my android phone but it will not see the Kann.
Kann has to be connected to a wifi network. (It can be even the hotspot from the phone).
AK connect has to be turned on on the Kann.

The phone has to be connected to the same wifi network, or same router as Kann (unless the phone provides the wifi).

The Kann shall appear when you press the "select renderer" icon bottom right.

Nov 9, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #2,673 of 2,698
Kann has to be connected to a wifi network. (It can be even the hotspot from the phone).
AK connect has to be turned on on the Kann.

The phone has to be connected to the same wifi network, or same router as Kann (unless the phone provides the wifi).

The Kann shall appear when you press the "select renderer" icon bottom right.
Ok. Thanks. The Kann can see folders on the Android but the Android cannot see the Kann. Any ideas?

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #2,674 of 2,698
I bought second hand Kann without realizing it no longer support Tidal, any workaround available?

How long does A&K support firmware etc on their players. I am wondering if anyone splash 2k on their higher end model and after 3 years it doesn't support streaming services then it is a big loss.

Also, comparatively any experiences on iBasso or Fiio how long they support firmware etc?

Nov 15, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #2,675 of 2,698
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #2,676 of 2,698
Hi,

I need some help with mconnect and streaming Tidal via Android phone or PC to Kann but it is not working.
I have installed mconnect app on the android phone and run the AKConnect on Kann but I am not able to see Kann in Mconnect over same wifi both are connected. Is it only possible via micro usb to usb-c cable hard wired? or I should be able to stream Tidal from my phone to Kann over wifi?

Also, is there option via Windows possible. Thanks.

Dec 28, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #2,677 of 2,698
Quick question - is the original Kann a viable option in 2022 if you plan to use it only for music from an SD card (and you get it for a seriously reduced price?). Barring Tidal compatibility, which isn't a live issue for me, are there other gremlins to watch out for? I currently own an Activo CT10 but looking for something that can drive my full size cans with authority.

Dec 28, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #2,678 of 2,698
Quick question - is the original Kann a viable option in 2022 if you plan to use it only for music from an SD card (and you get it for a seriously reduced price?). Barring Tidal compatibility, which isn't a live issue for me, are there other gremlins to watch out for? I currently own an Activo CT10 but looking for something that can drive my full size cans with authority.
Absolutely is worth it. The operating speed struggles slightly with two fully packed 256g cards (my case) but other than that (or below that) it functions perfectly well and sounds fantastic.

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #2,679 of 2,698
I'm still using mine with two 1TB cards. It's a little slow in accessing the library because of the number of tracks I have on it, but for audio quality it's superb.

Dec 29, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #2,681 of 2,698
I think the audio quality on the whole KANN line is incredible. I just upgraded from the Alpha to the Max and both sound phenomenal. To my ears the Max has a better sense of resolution and clearer details but the Alpha is close. I run mostly full sized headphones on the Max so having the extra power is beneficial.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #2,682 of 2,698
To me, Kann Max is the answer, unless you can get Kann Cube at the right price. I had all Kanns A&K released and I'm sure you would be happy with either. Both detailed with wide soundstage with highly analytical sound. You can use DAP built-in DAC filters and cable types to tweak the sound further (balanced, copper, silver and other options). I also know a few sound engineers recommending them and happy with the quality of sound what confirms my sound own impressions.

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #2,683 of 2,698
Hi there

You are asking about the KANN and its gremlins and I think somethings have been missed - so here are my thoughts:

Re sound quality and ability to drive full sized headphones - it does sound good and happily drives my Sennheiser HD800s - but in my view to get it to sound its best with more demanding headphones you do need to use a balanced cable - and a decent cable of this type is not cheap so budget for that as well.

With regard to SD cards, the original KANN is one of the only devices I have ever seen which is able to support two SD cards simultaneously - however you do need to take care as:
  1. It’s very picky as to the format (must be FAT 32) and manufacture types of SD card used (mine are all Sandisk) - it will refuse to read some for no apparent reason.
  2. I have occasionally experienced data corruptions which resulted in failure to read the cards or hanging and this meant that I had to reformat the card and recopy on all the music. Hence make sure you have backups of the SD card contents!
  3. You cannot simply plug and play with the cards, they MUST be unmounted using the menu option before being taken out.
  4. If you use a Apple Mac, then you will need to strip out all the hidden apple specific meta data off the cards - I use a utility called OptimUSB for that
This being said, the cards I have in my KANN have now been in place for more than two years without problems - although to be honest I hardly use it any more and haven’t copied anything on to it in that time.

If you can get a new original KANN for a for a good price with a warranty then go for it - but remember it will have been sitting in its box for a number of years.

Personally I would not recommend spending serious money on any of their current models given my experience as to their lack of any form of customer service/contrition in dealing with the Tidal debacle means I will not give them any more of my business as I fear this could happen again as they are still seem to be using out of date versions of Android on their devices - when travelling I now use a dongle DAC instead and have just bought a Naim Uniti Atom HE for headphone listening at home...

Best wishes to all for the New Year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back