Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jan 17, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #2,641 of 2,698
My original Kann is on 1.13 but I was one of the lucky ones and didn't get a bricked Kann after upgrading to that firmware. What you describe doesn't sound like firmware issue. have you looked on A&K site for firmware? And since your device acts so goofy I guess you don't have much to lose by upgrading. I've always found that the DAP can find the firmware update if you turn on it's wifi and go into the settings menu. Go to the bottom of the screen and there is a place marked update
I did look around the site for firmware, and it seems that Kann support seems to be absent (https://astellnkern.com/eng/content....asp?search=1&word=&cg=Firmware&goods=SC10630 shows no hits nor can I find any copies on archive.org for that page).

I'd risk a 1.13 upgrade in theory, though that would only work if even that one showed up as an option (Software Update shows "There is no new software" for the firmware option).

I suspect you may be correct about the goofiness. I'm guessing it's probably worth trying at this point if I can find a valid firmware file.

Thank you for answering!

Jan 30, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #2,643 of 2,698
Anyone have an original Kann and are using or have tried a 1TB micro SD card in either or both slots?

I'm currently using two 200GB Sandisk Ultra's and am wondering if the Kann works well with a 1TB card.

If so, would it be worth it to get the Sandisk Extreme over the Ultra? Thanks.

Jan 30, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #2,644 of 2,698
I have the original Kann. I do have two 1tb Micron industrial micro sd cards in it. These are the only 1tb cards to not give me some sort of trouble. I had a 1tb sandisc extreme pro SD card in it before and it worked Ok except I could only load it by taking it out of the player and loading music from my computer directly then reinsert it into the player.
Of course that meant a full scan every time. I would have a 512 gb in the micro slot along with the 1tb sd card. I put the two Micron cards just to see, not expecting them to work any differently. My surprise as it now functions perfectly.

Mar 20, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #2,645 of 2,698
In the works, but delayed a bit with the COVID-19 closures and a few outstanding units that were affected by the previous issue. Target was April sometime, but dont have a definite date. I will share when I get more info.
Hi Jason

I decided to pull my Kann out of storage and was expecting there to be at least one firmware update being available as I remembered this being promised - both as a result of the bricking issue and Tidal debacle…

Update menu option on the Kann doesn’t show any being available - so where do I find it?

I am replying to this entry as this seems to be the last mention of the promised update - given its two years ago I assume the update has been completed and tested….

Keep safe all

Mar 20, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #2,646 of 2,698
Hey all
Hope everyone well
I own the kann, as well but she’s collecting dust ever sense tidal no longer supported
Help help help,,,
I loved listening to tidal when was supported
Is there anyway, means to listen to tidal or any streaming service using kann,,,

Any dongle dacs etc,,,,

Second i only have a few music files
I like jazz pop,soul but will take any donations or albums music, as my kann now useles

Listening monitoring n8ii thread
My kann with jh rosies2,,, sounds tube like

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #2,647 of 2,698
Hey all
Hope everyone well
I own the kann, as well but she’s collecting dust ever sense tidal no longer supported
Help help help,,,
I loved listening to tidal when was supported
Is there anyway, means to listen to tidal or any streaming service using kann,,,

Any dongle dacs etc,,,,

Second i only have a few music files
I like jazz pop,soul but will take any donations or albums music, as my kann now useles

Listening monitoring n8ii thread
My kann with jh rosies2,,, sounds tube like
I am using two ways when I want to listen to Qobuz on Kann (which I also find tube-like)
1. Using Kann as USB-DAC out of either desktop or laptop computer, or from smartphone. It needs a usb cable to the micro-usb slot. (From smartphone it has to be USB-C to micro usb OTG cable)
2. Using AK connect service on Kann, playing Qobuz from BubbleUpnp on android smartphone, or from mconnect app on iPhone to Kann. I found mconnect more stable and more comfortable than BubbleUpnp. I think both app support tidal as well. This methods needs wlan, but works even on smartphone hotspot.

Mar 20, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #2,648 of 2,698
Thx you so much for this answer as AK left us dry
Appreciate the detailed response as i need to try this
Any pics of the set up
Sorry pics help me but above extremely helpful
My kann and jh rosies are amazing

Apr 19, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #2,650 of 2,698
Is there any way to play music directly from the Kann (music on the SD cards) to speakers connected to the same wifi network?

I have two Sonos Move speakers that form a stereo pair. But they don't form a pair when in Bluetooth mode for unexplained Sonos reasons.

I've tried switching on wifi on the Kann and seeing if I can connect directly to the Sonos speakers that way, but can't figure out if it's possible, or whether I just have to accept that it isn't.

Apr 19, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #2,651 of 2,698
Is there any way to play music directly from the Kann (music on the SD cards) to speakers connected to the same wifi network?

I have two Sonos Move speakers that form a stereo pair. But they don't form a pair when in Bluetooth mode for unexplained Sonos reasons.

I've tried switching on wifi on the Kann and seeing if I can connect directly to the Sonos speakers that way, but can't figure out if it's possible, or whether I just have to accept that it isn't.
If the speakers support DLNA, the KANN will see them. Sonos devices do not support DLNA networking, so they will not see the KANN. The only other option would be to connect via Bluetooth.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
May 26, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #2,653 of 2,698
Is there any faster way (such as drag and drop through Windows) of adding songs to playlists on the Kann?

I'm working my way through my library to manually select tracks, but it's pretty laborious compared to how it was done in iTunes 15 years ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back