Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jun 1, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #631 of 2,698
i want to share that just today i got a new balanced cable VANQUISH SERIES HEADPHONE CABLE from norne audio for my lcd2 and i am i really surprised how well the kann drives the lcd2 balanced
So i turn the volume barely to 100 and its really nice sounding. there is a huge difference with lcd2 between balanced and single ended. I think my old balanced cable which is a crapy one must contributed to my previous impression about kann not driving well lcd2. This really totally changed with the new cable. I am really surprised how this change happened by switching a cable. Looking at my old balanced cable which is a cheap cable barely 50 usd I think that it is really bad and I am glad I got the new norne audio cable which made a huge huge difference

while my hifiman he560 sounds not good on single ended or balanced

but for lcd2 it sounds so great in balanced mode

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #632 of 2,698
i want to share that just today i got a new balanced cable VANQUISH SERIES HEADPHONE CABLE from norne audio for my lcd2 and i am i really surprised how well the kann drives the lcd2 balanced
So i turn the volume barely to 100 and its really nice sounding. there is a huge difference with lcd2 between balanced and single ended. I think my old balanced cable which is a crapy one must contributed to my previous impression about kann not driving well lcd2. This really totally changed with the new cable. I am really surprised how this change happened by switching a cable. Looking at my old balanced cable which is a cheap cable barely 50 usd I think that it is really bad and I am glad I got the new norne audio cable which made a huge huge difference

while my hifiman he560 sounds not good on single ended or balanced

but for lcd2 it sounds so great in balanced mode
Glad that you found the problem. Enjoy your music, you deserve it! :darthsmile:

Jun 1, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #633 of 2,698
Jun 2, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #639 of 2,698
So for $200.00 roughly, you are saying that the OEM cable by audeze with a 3rd party 2.5mm adapter wasn't capable of driving LCD-2's? However, this new balanced cable not only drives the LCD-2 but also give clarity spatial sound stage? So are you saying you get "similar" quality sound from as if it were a separate DAC like a mojo? I would easily buy a new cable, but I need to be certain when you say AK KANN on 100 is enough. My AK KAnn @ volume dial set to 130 is where the sound started to break down from clarity to like a compressed mp3....

Jun 2, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #640 of 2,698
Please don't use 9v charger. Manual did mention that 5 - 9v is not recommended.

I think the safe fast charger they want is the lower voltage, not the even faster modern fast charger
The manual states
Commercially available 5V 2A / 9V 1.67A adapters may be used for charging.

It is the other AK players that don't support fast charging have the warning not to use the 9V chargers.

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #641 of 2,698
Please don't use 9v charger. Manual did mention that 5 - 9v is not recommended.

I think the safe fast charger they want is the lower voltage, not the even faster modern fast charger

I think you're mistaken. Here's what is mentioned on AK's site
IMG_1445.jpg

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #645 of 2,698
So for $200.00 roughly, you are saying that the OEM cable by audeze with a 3rd party 2.5mm adapter wasn't capable of driving LCD-2's? However, this new balanced cable not only drives the LCD-2 but also give clarity spatial sound stage? So are you saying you get "similar" quality sound from as if it were a separate DAC like a mojo? I would easily buy a new cable, but I need to be certain when you say AK KANN on 100 is enough. My AK KAnn @ volume dial set to 130 is where the sound started to break down from clarity to like a compressed mp3....
i am not saying that at all, the balanced cable which is a cheap one i bought off from ebay by an unknown company was really bad. When I replaced it with a good balanced cable the change was really obvious in maintaining sound quality of the lcd2 while pushing it loud with kann. I only have an audeze single ended cable and using it with Kann was not great as compared to balanced. As to volume on some albums I can reach easily 120 - 130, while on other I can listen to music at 100

Again u must know that my previous judgement on driving lcd2 in balanced was from using a very very bad balanced cable and it literally is I think even defective. After replacing it with a balanced cable the lcd2 is driven nicely.

Now what u mean using single ended and an adapter to be used balanced , u can not go from a cable that is single ended and use it balanced by just using an adapter its the other way around, you can go from balanced to single ended

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back