Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Jun 5, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #661 of 2,698
Apologies if this information exists - I've just not found it. Clearly, playing files from its internal or removable storage are what it's for - but:

1. I am 'assuming' that streaming from Tidal is possible with this player (with a WiFi or other connection), but would be grateful for clarification.
2. I listen to Radio Paradise a lot - would this also be possible?

At work I have a desktop Dac and amp (the new AudioLab M-Dac+ and Nuforce HA-200, soon to be monoblocked with a second.)

3. Does this player have a co-ax digital output that I can feed to the Audiolab, to use the DAP as a source? (This would free up the current laptop)
4. Does it come with an appropriate digital-out cable?

Would be grateful for a response!

Regards

Ben

Jun 5, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #663 of 2,698
Anyone following my issues with the DAP and Audeze LCD-2 I can say a new unit arrived and all the clarity issues/ distortion are resolved with a new unit. I also tested out of the box firmware 1.0 vs 1.03 and the firmware definitely enhances the sound drastically. My last unit I immediately updated so I couldn't tell. Any I give this 100% thumbs up!!!

Jun 5, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #664 of 2,698
  1. Tidal over WiFi is a yes, but it does not support offline content.
  2. No. You can not add apps to the AK.
  3. No. Only digital out is USB.
  4. No. It comes with a USB C data/charging cable. The USB Audio Out is a micro USB connector that needs an OTG cable.

Really appreciate that, thank you :)
Radio Paradise not a deal breaker, just would have been nice to have. USB out might work though, the Mdac+ has a number of different inputs..

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #665 of 2,698
Anyone following my issues with the DAP and Audeze LCD-2 I can say a new unit arrived and all the clarity issues/ distortion are resolved with a new unit. I also tested out of the box firmware 1.0 vs 1.03 and the firmware definitely enhances the sound drastically. My last unit I immediately updated so I couldn't tell. Any I give this 100% thumbs up!!!
did u go balanced as with balanced you will even be more happy as I am also using lcd2

Jun 8, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #668 of 2,698
2.5mm gives more authority, lower noise floor and better separation. Drives Z1R with ease. Unlike the WM1A which felt a bit lacking even in balanced mode.
Dude, You just tickled my fancy lol. Looks like a freaking sweet setup. How does it sound?

Jun 10, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #669 of 2,698
did u go balanced as with balanced you will even be more happy as I am also using lcd2
1000% better, selling the chord mojo, onkyo-dp-x1 setup.... useless. This is unreal. I "thought" well mojo is best for any device, boy was I wrong. KANN = Nirvana with the caveat you must get properly built balanced cables to your headphones. I play tons of native DSD content, volume at 150 is perfectly clean with authority and surpasses my wildest expectations of a balanced setup. I have been using terrible balanced, so my only observation was with improperly balanced cables.... I would say that DIY/obtain a good balanced adapter, in my case LCD-2. I now turn my recommendation from meh hmmmm? with my defective unit, to a WOW must have DAP of the year in balanced mode. One observation you can make with "quality control issues" is the KANN heats up very hot with bad balanced cables and just sounds painful to listen to. KANN ALL THE WAY!!!!

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #671 of 2,698
Dude, You just tickled my fancy lol. Looks like a freaking sweet setup. How does it sound?
I like the flexibility of the KANN. The ability to drive IEMs and headphones is great.
I like the musical sound of it too.
Also, i got it for transport purposes which hopefully, will sound fantastic once my hugo 2 arrives. I like that it's the only AK dap that supports micro USB transport mode.

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #672 of 2,698
So, I was wondering if anyone uses their Kann with Balanced out into a Balanced Amp?

Side Note: I started looking for the "Gallery" for this thread so I can see if anyone posted pictures. No way to look at pictures that were posted in the thread? What sillyness is that!?

Jun 11, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #673 of 2,698
I like the flexibility of the KANN. The ability to drive IEMs and headphones is great.
Also, i got it for transport purposes which hopefully, will sound fantastic once my hugo 2 arrives. I like that it's the only AK dap that supports micro USB transport mode.

The ak70, ak240 and ak300 series all support USB output mode.

Jun 16, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #674 of 2,698

What brand of balanced cables are you using? Looking for some good ones for my KANN.. Am mostly using the KANN with Sennheiser HD800 headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back