Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
May 16, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #496 of 2,698
I use the Kann with my Focal Utopia and the Kann drives them very well with volume around 70/75. Gain is set to high of course.
Very impressed and I find it very similar sounding to the Opus 2 but far better UI and streaming option.
The only trouble with streaming from my NAS is that I find it eats battery power as opposed to using in house memory or sd card.
Wifi eats battery especially you are "streaming", there is no time for wifi nic to go into power saving mode.

May 16, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #497 of 2,698
I use the Kann with my Focal Utopia and the Kann drives them very well with volume around 70/75. Gain is set to high of course.
Very impressed and I find it very similar sounding to the Opus 2 but far better UI and streaming option.
The only trouble with streaming from my NAS is that I find it eats battery power as opposed to using in house memory or sd card.
Hi. Did you find some differences when listen KANN + Utopia with UTOPIA + Another DAC/Amplifier. Is very important for me to decide to buy KANN.

May 16, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #498 of 2,698
Hi. Did you find some differences when listen KANN + Utopia with UTOPIA + Another DAC/Amplifier. Is very important for me to decide to buy KANN.
I am one the most impressed by Kann as you can see from my previous posts but that is with iems only, and this applies to all the daps I won or owned.

To be honest I can not recommend Kann or any dap for the highest end heapdhones at all, let alone my lcd2 or oppo pm1 barely sound 30% in enjoyment compared to a dap connected to alo mk3 B

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #499 of 2,698
I've been a long-time fan and owner of a couple different Astell & Kern DAPS. Strangely, the KANN kinda confuses me. Yes, I'm intrigued by the storage capabilities and the battery, but not entirely convinced the sound is gonna be an upgrade from my Astell & Kern AK300 I've owned since September 2016. I, personally, think the AK UI has been pretty easy to learn and deal with, the software is pretty stable, and I have no trouble loading up my existing AK300 with plenty of Apple Lossless music through my MacBook. The AK300 puts out plenty of power to my fill my ears through my Shure SE846 IEM's. That's my quandary: I'd love that storage and that battery, and maybe that amp of the KANN, but I'm not sure it's all worth it!

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #500 of 2,698
Wonder if I could get some advice. Just got my Kann. Put in a new Samsung Micro SD card 256GB EVO Select. I had previously loaded music onto it using my Mac. All worked fine. But when I put it in my Kann - it says card is damaged. However, when I put it in my mac all music is still there. It is formatted as Fat ex32. Can't say I really understand this. Appreciate any help.

May 16, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #501 of 2,698
Wonder if I could get some advice. Just got my Kann. Put in a new Samsung Micro SD card 256GB EVO Select. I had previously loaded music onto it using my Mac. All worked fine. But when I put it in my Kann - it says card is damaged. However, when I put it in my mac all music is still there. It is formatted as Fat ex32. Can't say I really understand this. Appreciate any help.
reformat it in KANN

May 16, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #502 of 2,698
I had the same problem. Make sure its not "exfat". If it is you need to format it to "fat32". There is a difference. I would recommend using software to do it. When I got my Kann I formatted both of my cards in the Kann and it formatted them to "exfat". They wouldn't work . I noticed after hours of frustration that they didn't format to fat32.

May 16, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #503 of 2,698
I had the same problem. Make sure its not "exfat". If it is you need to format it to "fat32". There is a difference. I would recommend using software to do it. When I got my Kann I formatted both of my cards in the Kann and it formatted them to "exfat". They wouldn't work . I noticed after hours of frustration that they didn't format to fat32.

yes, i can vouch for this. format using software, make sure it is really fat32. and strangely, kann format it to exfat. So yes, FarmAndrex is right, you need to use software that can format it to fat32, using default 32k allocation sector. I did that and no trouble ever since

May 16, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #505 of 2,698
Anyone can enlighten me why is there no leather case for the new AK Kann? :thinking:

May 16, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #506 of 2,698
I think there's some confusion here on what the Kann does when you choose to erase all data on your storage cards.

The option says it erases all data. It does not say that it will format your card. Erasing and formatting are not the same thing although a byproduct of the formatting process is that all data will be erased. Erasing, on the other hand, does not mean your card will be formatted.

Hence, if your card is already formatted as exfat, it will remain as exfat. If it is already fat32, it will remain as fat32.

Anyone can enlighten me why is there no leather case for the new AK Kann? :thinking:

Because the Kann just came out? I think Miter and Dignis have cases coming out but they're not available yet.

May 17, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #507 of 2,698
Because the Kann just came out? I think Miter and Dignis have cases coming out but they're not available yet.

If I understand correctly, all AK's DAP will come with AK's leather case. Unfortunately, this is not the case for Kann.

I am aware of Miter and Dignis case. Dignis case for Kann is ugly. Miter's is acceptable but still prefer AK's leather case if it is available.

May 17, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #508 of 2,698
Re cases, I wrote to A&K (which folks should do with tech issues, support.inc@iriver.com), and they say "We hope to have cases available soon at our online store and through authorized dealers. Look for them on sale in the near future!"

I love my Kann but I've been frustrated by it appearing to sort albums randomly within Artist -- however, I just figured out that it's not random, it sorts them by the "Year" tag, so it's chronological. (That's why e.g.1997's "The Boatman's Call" shows before 2001's "No More Shall We Part".) That's certainly not my preference, and it's unlike other players I've used (albeit not all that many). Iriver notes that albums are sorted alphabetically when you look in folder view, but who's going to do that on a device such as the Kann with 3 distinct storage folders, internal, SD, and micro SD? If you don't like this either, be sure to email them, I get the impression I'm the only one to've ever raised this issue, and they aren't going to change firmware for just me.

May 17, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #509 of 2,698
Re cases, I wrote to A&K (which folks should do with tech issues, support.inc@iriver.com), and they say "We hope to have cases available soon at our online store and through authorized dealers. Look for them on sale in the near future!"

I love my Kann but I've been frustrated by it appearing to sort albums randomly within Artist -- however, I just figured out that it's not random, it sorts them by the "Year" tag, so it's chronological. (That's why e.g.1997's "The Boatman's Call" shows before 2001's "No More Shall We Part".) That's certainly not my preference, and it's unlike other players I've used (albeit not all that many). Iriver notes that albums are sorted alphabetically when you look in folder view, but who's going to do that on a device such as the Kann with 3 distinct storage folders, internal, SD, and micro SD? If you don't like this either, be sure to email them, I get the impression I'm the only one to've ever raised this issue, and they aren't going to change firmware for just me.
I've been a longtime user of A&K DAPS (first the AK240, now the AK300), and found that the "by year" sorting of albums to be frustrating at first, but after living with that way a few years, it's the way I prefer it now. I guess it would be nice if the firmware gave you a choice, but alas, not currently.

May 17, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #510 of 2,698

Well, I see some lights there. But it should come for free at the first place!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back