Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
May 15, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #481 of 2,698
Hi all - as a relative newbie to all the tech talk on here, can someone please explain in layman's terms what the balanced output option is all about. I only have headphones/ iem with 3.5mm jacks - is it worth buying some kind of adaptor to use them with balanced output or is the sound quality pretty much the same?

May 15, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #482 of 2,698
Hi all - as a relative newbie to all the tech talk on here, can someone please explain in layman's terms what the balanced output option is all about. I only have headphones/ iem with 3.5mm jacks - is it worth buying some kind of adaptor to use them with balanced output or is the sound quality pretty much the same?
Adapters won't work. I've also heard that they could cause damage. If your headphone have replaceable cables you would need a comparable cable for 2.5 connection.

May 15, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #483 of 2,698
Wow that sure sounds scary.
Try charging the kann for a while first before you boot it up. And try to boot without any (micro)sd cards.

A few photos/videos would also help us help you better. :)

Thanks. Booting my KANN with the microsd card removed solved my problem.

Anyway, to contribute, for those who are having problems in Windows 10 and your KANN not being detected as an MTP device or extremely slow transfer speeds, try the following:

If you've just used your KANN as a DAC, you may need to restart it first.
1) Go to device manager
2) Expand the list under "Portable Devices" and right click on "KANN"
3) Select "Update Driver"
4) Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"
5) Choose "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
6) Select "MTP USB device" and click "Next"
7) It should install the drivers and ask you to reboot.
8) Reboot your computer and try to see whether it works now.

May 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #484 of 2,698

Anyway, to contribute, for those who are having problems in Windows 10 and your KANN not being detected as an MTP device or extremely slow transfer speeds, try the following:

1) Go to device manager

how bout who can not get mqs and ak connect to work and help

May 15, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #486 of 2,698
Which IEM model are you using right now?

May 15, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #487 of 2,698
Same thing here. I had the problem with letter "A" and "S" only. When i split them, the problem disappeared. In letter "A1" I have 21 subfolder. And in letter "A2" I have 20 subfolders.

I had the same issue with my "A" and "S" folders as well. The issue is not the number of subfolders in them. My "A" folder has 43 subfolders and wouldn't display while my "T" folder has 94 subfolders and shows up with no problem.

As far as I can tell, there's some bug and it just won't display a folder titled only "A" or "S". Instead of dividing my "A" folder into "A1" and "A2", I just renamed it to "A1" and now it's showing up.

May 15, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #488 of 2,698
i see u have the wm1z wonder how u compare kann to it

It's not fair comparison comparing 1Z with KANN...but I'm liking KANN on it's own very good DAP but 1Z just sounded better especially after having it modded

May 15, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #490 of 2,698
Anyone KANN with Focal Utopia. How they sound. Thank You in advance

ok now this might be my grip with all daps, now i own oppo pm1 and audeze lcd2 and i tried balanced wiht both heapdhones, to be honest i believe kann and all daps just drive iems. as no way can Kann sound like for example a dap with a portable amp like alo mk3 B, not even close. kann to me is the best sounding dap for iems only, but for headphones even with the balanced out is not driving the lcd2 or oppo pm1 to even 30% of how good those heapdhones sound from alo mk3 B

May 15, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #492 of 2,698
I had the same issue with my "A" and "S" folders as well. The issue is not the number of subfolders in them. My "A" folder has 43 subfolders and wouldn't display while my "T" folder has 94 subfolders and shows up with no problem.

As far as I can tell, there's some bug and it just won't display a folder titled only "A" or "S". Instead of dividing my "A" folder into "A1" and "A2", I just renamed it to "A1" and now it's showing up.
I came to exactly the same conclusion!

May 15, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #493 of 2,698
After fighting with memory cards I noticed that the Kann formats cards to exfat. So, I reformatted the card that was giving me trouble to Fat32. So far it hasn't given me the "damaged card" error. Thanks for the reminders. They are appreciated. I just figured the player would format to the format that it likes. I was wrong.

May 15, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #494 of 2,698

1) Go to device manager

Good Lord...thanks man, it works now.. my goodness... yes, you're right, i did use it as DAC. So it means when i swing back to MTP from KANN, it didn't really change the state internally, hence the restart. KANN need to update its firmware to solve this annoyance.

Thanks mate... now i don't have to pluck out the sd card everytime i need to copy LOL.

May 16, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #495 of 2,698
Anyone KANN with Focal Utopia. How they sound. Thank You in advance

I use the Kann with my Focal Utopia and the Kann drives them very well with volume around 70/75. Gain is set to high of course.
Very impressed and I find it very similar sounding to the Opus 2 but far better UI and streaming option.
The only trouble with streaming from my NAS is that I find it eats battery power as opposed to using in house memory or sd card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back