Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
May 13, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #451 of 2,698
I had the same problem, cause I am using the same folder structure. Your "A" folder is missing because you have to many subfolders and Kann can't read them. Try to split the "A" folder in A1 and A2. It will help.

May 13, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #453 of 2,698
Ok, for all that have sd card problems, maybe these will work:
- format to fat32
- use either SanDisk or transcend. Yes, somehow the manual mention only these 2.
I formatted both of my cards with the Kann. My 200gb is SanDisk and my 256sd is the one that came with it. It looks offbrand. It randomly reads them or it doesn't. I don't know what the deal is.
I was listening to it today in the car.
Turned it off while I was inside the store. When I got back in the car and turned it on again the sd was not showing up. The genres disappear for whatever reason too. I don't know

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #454 of 2,698
I formatted both of my cards with the Kann. My 200gb is SanDisk and my 256sd is the one that came with it. It looks offbrand. It randomly reads them or it doesn't. I don't know what the deal is.
I was listening to it today in the car.
Turned it off while I was inside the store. When I got back in the car and turned it
on again the sd was not showing up. The genres disappear for whatever reason too. I don't know

Hmm... that's weird. why would they include off-brand sd-card as gift, while their own manual mention that it's sandisk or trascend....

May 14, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #456 of 2,698
I had the same problem, cause I am using the same folder structure. Your "A" folder is missing because you have to many subfolders and Kann can't read them. Try to split the "A" folder in A1 and A2. It will help.
That's very interesting and somewhat helpful to me but it doesn't seem like a full solution - I subsequently discovered that my whole "S" section was missing too - I do have a lot of subfolders under there but...very few under "A" which is also missing. Are you able to more specific about how many is too many from your experience? I've played about with different configurations and my Kann seems to dislike folders named "A" whatever they have in them!! Then there's the problem of the device thinking the cards are smaller than they actually are!!

May 14, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #457 of 2,698
I have a DEMO unit of the KANN and it doesn't like me. First of all I can't get the drivers installed for DAC use on my Windows 10 laptop. I can's see the KANN in device management but it does show up using USBDeview. When deleting anything about KANN Windows simply reinstalls some driver for KANN and then the units disappears again. Very annoying. Maybe it's me.

DEMO KANN does connect to my local wifi network but it won't let me log in to TIDAL for some reason, while it works perfectly fine on all my other AK devices and phones. DEMO KANN also doesn't let me update over OTA giving a download error. And DEMO KANN only finds about 300 songs on my NAS using AK Connect where the AK70 and AK380 find all the songs. Alex is going to look into it tomorrow he said, I hope it's DEMO related.

Besides all this, I quite like KANN's performance as a DAP. And I like its design, unlike so many other that seem to hate it.
If someone can help solving the DAC issue, I'd be very grateful :)

May 14, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #458 of 2,698
That's very interesting and somewhat helpful to me but it doesn't seem like a full solution - I subsequently discovered that my whole "S" section was missing too - I do have a lot of subfolders under there but...very few under "A" which is also missing. Are you able to more specific about how many is too many from your experience? I've played about with different configurations and my Kann seems to dislike folders named "A" whatever they have in them!! Then there's the problem of the device thinking the cards are smaller than they actually are!!
Same thing here. I had the problem with letter "A" and "S" only. When i split them, the problem disappeared. In letter "A1" I have 21 subfolder. And in letter "A2" I have 20 subfolders.

May 14, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #459 of 2,698
I have a DEMO unit of the KANN and it doesn't like me. First of all I can't get the drivers installed for DAC use on my Windows 10 laptop. I can's see the KANN in device management but it does show up using USBDeview. When deleting anything about KANN Windows simply reinstalls some driver for KANN and then the units disappears again. Very annoying. Maybe it's me.

DEMO KANN does connect to my local wifi network but it won't let me log in to TIDAL for some reason, while it works perfectly fine on all my other AK devices and phones. DEMO KANN also doesn't let me update over OTA giving a download error. And DEMO KANN only finds about 300 songs on my NAS using AK Connect where the AK70 and AK380 find all the songs. Alex is going to look into it tomorrow he said, I hope it's DEMO related.

Besides all this, I quite like KANN's performance as a DAP. And I like its design, unlike so many other that seem to hate it.
If someone can help solving the DAC issue, I'd be very grateful :)

Hi,

I faced similar issue with my KANN where my windows 10 PC is not detecting KANN as USB DAC. It just detects as a USB drive.
I was using the USB-C connection.
Then I switched to micro-USB connection and modified the USB Output = DAC in the settings.

May 14, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #462 of 2,698
I updated my firmware to 1.3 today - went smoothly. Then I began listening to Tidal, in HIFI mode. I have a very good Asus AC88U ac3100 router, and thought I'd see what kind of range it has with the Kann. I wandered outside, and walked across the street and stood on the sidewalk. Then I came back to my side of the street and got 4 houses down the block with no dropouts at all. The lots are not huge, maybe 40-50 foot frontages, on average. By the 5th house, it took a bit to load the next song, and did stutter a bit. I'd guess I was getting at least 75 feet of range, perhaps more. This Kann seems to have amazing wifi range.

Sounds really good too. It seems to do a better job of bringing out the sonic differences between my various iems and headphones. It has me rethinking the priorities for thinning the herd, both in terms of iems and cans, and possibly other DAPs as well.

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #463 of 2,698
Hi,

I faced similar issue with my KANN where my windows 10 PC is not detecting KANN as USB DAC. It just detects as a USB drive.
I was using the USB-C connection.
Then I switched to micro-USB connection and modified the USB Output = DAC in the settings.

Of course that was it. Now I feel really dumb. Drivers installed perfectly from the Micro USB port... Thank you!

May 14, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #464 of 2,698
Then there's the problem of the device thinking the cards are smaller than they actually are!!

That is not a problem. It is the difference between device calculations using binary and manufacture's using decimal to describe their devices. It has been around since the first hard drives became available for home computers.

It does say something that you blame the Kann rather than the card, even though neither is really wrong.

May 14, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #465 of 2,698
That is not a problem. It is the difference between device calculations using binary and manufacture's using decimal to describe their devices. It has been around since the first hard drives became available for home computers.

It does say something that you blame the Kann rather than the card, even though neither is really wrong.
Thanks for your comment - I admit I'm not very technically minded but Surely a gigabyte is a gigabyte? If a card that is sold as a 256gb card and confirmed as having 256gb capacity by my PC is reported by the Kann as only having 232gb capacity it's reasonable to conclude the Kann is out of line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back