Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
May 18, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #511 of 2,698
I've been a longtime user of A&K DAPS (first the AK240, now the AK300), and found that the "by year" sorting of albums to be frustrating at first, but after living with that way a few years, it's the way I prefer it now. I guess it would be nice if the firmware gave you a choice, but alas, not currently.
Do you think the KANN at $999 is a better unit than the AK120 II at $799?

May 18, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #512 of 2,698
Do you think the KANN at $999 is a better unit than the AK120 II at $799?

Depends on what "better" means to you. The AK120 ii is a 2014 product while the KANN is current technology. It does not support USB Audio output, has 128gb storage plus 1 micro sdcard slot, and has less battery capacity, but it does have a more debugged UI. The KANN is bigger and heavier making it less pocket friendly. I have both (plus the AK380). I make it a practice not to comment on SQ because it is too subjective.

I would buy the KANN to get the current technology regardless of the price difference, but the AK120 ii is a fine DAP and a good deal at $799. If you decide to go after the AK120 ii, are in the USA, and would like an excellent condition used one, PM me an offer.

May 19, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #513 of 2,698
Hi, people. How does AK Kann sounds like? Warm? I am currently using Chord Mojo and would like to upgrade to Hugo 2. But this Kann draws my spotlight. How does it sounds like compare to Fiio x5 iii(which has two AK4490) and Cayin i5(one AK 4490)?
I like warm and musical sound.
And how does it sounds like when compare to Onkyo DP-X1A or NW-WM1A?

Earphone: beyerdynamic idx200 ie
Headphone: Sony MDR-Z1R

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #514 of 2,698
Hi guys, does anybody have this thing: no matter if it's single ended or balanced connection I still have the BAL icon on the top of the screen. The icon disappears only then I connect the bluetooth. I wonder if I even have the BAL sound, cause they both sound the same. Is it a software bug or my unit is faulty.

May 19, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #516 of 2,698
Hi guys, does anybody have this thing: no matter if it's single ended or balanced connection I still have the BAL icon on the top of the screen. The icon disappears only then I connect the bluetooth. I wonder if I even have the BAL sound, cause they both sound the same. Is it a software bug or my unit is faulty.

If there is no connection on the balanced output, the icon should not appear. It looks like your balanced port could have had a short circuit.

May 19, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #519 of 2,698
This case is way to expensive. Shipping along is $30.

May 20, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #522 of 2,698
If there is no connection on the balanced output, the icon should not appear. It looks like your balanced port could have had a short circuit.

Hmm I just got my unit yesterday and notice the same. In fact on powering on the unit itself I see the "BAL" icon showing up on the top even though there is no headphone connected either SE or BAL, One more I know was working but then stopped for whatever reason was when the headphone (HO) was removed then the player was pausing the song, but since today that doesnt seem to happen anymore! Those who have the units can you please confirm:

1. When HO is removed while in play does the player pause it immediately?
2. Does BAL icon shows always?

Thanks!

May 20, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #523 of 2,698
Confirm. When the HO removed my player DON"T pause.
I have the BAL icon all the time, except when blue tooth is connected.
I was thinking to exchange my player in the store, but it's no point if it is the software problem.

May 20, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #524 of 2,698
Confirm. When the HO removed my player DON"T pause.
I have the BAL icon all the time, except when blue tooth is connected.
I was thinking to exchange my player in the store, but it's no point if it is the software problem.
Thanks for confirming.

It's weird esp with the pausing. I clearly remember the player doing it yesterday when I was testing it around and comparing to my DP-X1. But today it seems not. I hope it's a software bug and nothing more that gets fixed in next update.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back