Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
May 3, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #256 of 2,698
It drives HD650 ok. I am using SE HO. I have to move the volume to 100/150 with normal amp. I think people will be able to listen to it around 100-103, higher than that is a bit too loud. I just tried 150, it almost damaged my HD650! It is way too loud. The bass is good on Hd650. Not rumbling bass deep but tight and good. With EQ, it does not make much changes on the bass. I think I need more time to play around and compare.

with the eq in ak kann try to boost all low frequencies to +5 and the rest to minus 3 and you will hear a good bass response as I used to do that with my ak380

May 3, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #257 of 2,698
Thanks for your impressions Joseph Lin. I moved from AK300 to a Plenue 1 recently, and when you say the KANN is better than p1 I am intrigued. It would be interesting for someone to compare it to the AK300.
I ditched the AK300 as after a while I found the sound a bit fatigueing and ever so boring. The plenue 1 to my ears is a lot more sweet sounding and musical.
I like it that the KANN has an extremely large storage capacity, but if it's on par with the AK300 soundwise then I'm not so interested.

May 3, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #258 of 2,698
Really depends on the style of music. P1 is better than the AK380. Yeah my opinion.

May 3, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #260 of 2,698
Well if you love Celine Dion then well the 380 can be better for you.

May 3, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #261 of 2,698
few days left and then everything will be revealed as I owned cowon plenue s, ak 380 and amp, cowon pm2 and heard extensively cowon p1.

I for one take ak380 and amp over any cowon and I listen to electronic and synthpop and edm, its not about just the bass , its about the whole sound signature

so lets see what the kann will offer

May 3, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #262 of 2,698
If the Kann doesnt work out then you can go back to the AK380 with its amp.

May 3, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #263 of 2,698
Thanks for your impressions Joseph Lin. I moved from AK300 to a Plenue 1 recently, and when you say the KANN is better than p1 I am intrigued. It would be interesting for someone to compare it to the AK300.
I ditched the AK300 as after a while I found the sound a bit fatigueing and ever so boring. The plenue 1 to my ears is a lot more sweet sounding and musical.
I like it that the KANN has an extremely large storage capacity, but if it's on par with the AK300 soundwise then I'm not so interested.
In my opinion, KANN is very balanced and flat. Not as fun as P1. P1 can sound very good if you fine tune EQ to your likings. Kann on the other hand, EQ does not do much to sound and to be honest a bit boring. It is still early but don't think much will change in the future.

My plan for Kann is for long flight so I do not need to carry so many accessories.

I am tempted to buy a P2 but decides to buy Woo Audio WA8 instead...high end DAP above $1,000 are very close to each other. You have to pay a lot to get like 10% increase in SOME areas. WA8 will allow me to use my T1 by the Hawaii beach :L3000:

May 3, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #264 of 2,698
May 3, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #265 of 2,698
In my opinion, KANN is very balanced and flat. Not as fun as P1. P1 can sound very good if you fine tune EQ to your likings. Kann on the other hand, EQ does not do much to sound and to be honest a bit boring. It is still early but don't think much will change in the future.

My plan for Kann is for long flight so I do not need to carry so many accessories.

I am tempted to buy a P2 but decides to buy Woo Audio WA8 instead...high end DAP above $1,000 are very close to each other. You have to pay a lot to get like 10% increase in SOME areas. WA8 will allow me to use my T1 by the Hawaii beach :L3000:

wa8 and alo cdm were always interesting me, someone sold his wa8 for only 650 usd should have bought it

May 3, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #266 of 2,698
wa8 and alo cdm were always interesting me, someone sold his wa8 for only 650 usd should have bought it
Oh my goodness, that is 1/3 of the price! Please let me know if you hear such a good deal in the future.

May 3, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #267 of 2,698
Oh my goodness, that is 1/3 of the price! Please let me know if you hear such a good deal in the future.

yeah stupid of me to have not bought it

May 3, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #269 of 2,698
Anyone received their KANN already? Played with 3 units today and all of them have a fair amount of play in all their connectors (2.5mm, 3.5mm, micro-USB and USB-C) which is pretty bad QC for it's asking price.

Both the SD card slots also felt quite cheap (plasticky feel) when compared to the AK70, AK240 and AK380 that I have with me.

Overall, I loved the form factor...no it is not ugly at all (you gotta see and hold it to understand) and I love how I can grip them with my medium/small-ish hand. To me the weight is not a factor at all as you do get plenty of power & battery life to go with it...in many way the weight penalty is kinda negligible

SQ are pretty flat and meh...definitely no upgrade to my 3-year old AK240 and holds no candle to AK380. Severely missing upper mid and the women's vocal (which I valued a lot) can be a bit flat for my taste. Hopefully I will get to love this over time but this will definitely play a distance second to my modded 1Z

May 3, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #270 of 2,698
Anyone received their KANN already? Played with 3 units today and all of them have a fair amount of play in all their connectors (2.5mm, 3.5mm, micro-USB and USB-C) which is pretty bad QC for it's asking price.

Both the SD card slots also felt quite cheap (plasticky feel) when compared to the AK70, AK240 and AK380 that I have with me.

Overall, I loved the form factor...no it is not ugly at all (you gotta see and hold it to understand) and I love how I can grip them with my medium/small-ish hand. To me the weight is not a factor at all as you do get plenty of power & battery life to go with it...in many way the weight penalty is kinda negligible

SQ are pretty flat and meh...definitely no upgrade to my 3-year old AK240 and holds no candle to AK380. Severely missing upper mid and the women's vocal (which I valued a lot) can be a bit flat for my taste. Hopefully I will get to love this over time but this will definitely play a distance second to my modded 1Z

how do u find the bass response with eq, if you boost all low frequencies to plus 5 and the remaining to minus 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back