Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
May 5, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #286 of 2,698
Oh gosh helppppp!!!
I tried to apply the screen protector included in the package but I screwed up. Bubbles are everywhere and it looks so awful.
I have taken the usual precautions before applying the screen protector, such as wiping the screen very clean and performing the task in a dust free environment, but little did I know that I was applying the screen protector upside-down. Turned out that the non-stick side could also stick on to the screen and so, the sticky side ended up on top...
I only realised this after wasting both screen protectors.
The blame shouldn't be entirely on me though. AK didn't label the sides of the screen protector, so it's kinda impossible for a regular user to intuitively know which side is supposed to stick to the screen.
Future users take note: the side with the small tag is supposed to be facing AWAY from the screen. The side covered by the larger sheet of plastic is supposed to STICK onto the screen.

Attachments

• 1494005726497566440861.jpg
    1494005726497566440861.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
May 5, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #287 of 2,698
What about hiss with Kann + EE Zeus?

There's significant hiss with EE Zeus R during playback at volume 0. The hiss is gone once playback stops (indicating DAC chip and amp circuit power conservation is rather aggressive). I've using on SE, have yet to try out the balanced mode.
Didn't do a thorough comparison but from memory, the hiss is more significant than that on Opus#2 and comparable to the Lotoo Paw Gold.

May 5, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #288 of 2,698
There's significant hiss with EE Zeus R during playback at volume 0. The hiss is gone once playback stops (indicating DAC chip and amp circuit power conservation is rather aggressive). I've using on SE, have yet to try out the balanced mode.
Didn't do a thorough comparison but from memory, the hiss is more significant than that on Opus#2 and comparable to the Lotoo Paw Gold.

Thanks for your (Zeus hiss) comparison! I still have LPG => very helpfull...

Sorry to read about your Kann screen protector stress. I hope it can be removed and applied (the good way) again. Good luck with that!

May 5, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #289 of 2,698
Initial impressions
I'm going to share some initial impressions here. I'd like to arrange my content into non-sound and sound. And when I talk about sound quality, I will interject with some comparisons with other DACs that I've experience with. For the record I use EE Zeus R with a DIY cable that is made to the same configuration as the Reference 8, but with thicker conductors, SE connector.

Non sound:
1. Kann is lighter than it looks. Feels similar to a smartphone+mojo stack, without the annoying usb cable.
2. Physical buttons are relocated to the bottom bezel of the screen. I find it to be a decent replacement of the on-screen software buttons, but as a replacement for the original side buttons, they are rather inaccessible.
3. The volume knob feels great. Neither too tight nor too loose. However, I've noticed significant variations between the two units I have tried - Music Sanctuary's demo set and my own set. Both units were fresh out of the box (I witnessed the unboxing of the demo). The volume knob of the demo unit is much tighter than that of mine. I don't really know why, but I don't really like the idea of my Kann being loose (lol I just Kann't resist mentioning the pun)
4. Slightly warm when playing back while connected to computer to transfer data.
5. Having no case is not deal-breaker, but it's definitely something I am disappointed at.

Sound:
1. Hiss is noticeable especially playing back at low volume. Can get very obvious or even disruptive at the end of songs.
2. Overall warm tonality out of the box, slight treble roll-off. Very detailed and transparent. More transparent and airy than Opus#2 actually.
3. Soundstage is wider than that on Opus#2, on par with DX200. Imaging is not as precise as the Lotoo Paw Gold and Kann doesn't sound so exciting.
4. Bass is well layered and well controlled but lacks the sub-bass rumble of Opus #2. Bass quantity of these two players are similar.
5. Mids are well-bodied. Kann mids has more body than DX200, and is more forward as well. But it is not as thick as that on Opus#2.
6. Treble is laid back. It's definitely not as sparkle-y as Plenue S or LPG, but I find it very comfortable, and sufficient in bringing out the air in the tracks.

Getting a PWaudio 1960 4-wire cable soon. Will give more impressions soon, perhaps on 2.5mm balanced output.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #290 of 2,698
Thanks for all the impressions posted so far! When Kann's sq is at least on par with Plenue 1, then I would be very impressed :ksc75smile:

Some practical (not sq related) questions:
  • Is file scanning on Kann slow or fast?
  • Has anybody noticed a file limit on Kann?
  • When using internal memory + sd card + micro sd card, do the files (all songs / artists) show up as if it was one (big) database?
Thanks in advance!

I would call it slower for the initial scan that my AK380. I would guess the processor is a little slower in the Kann. The UI is essentially the same as the other AK OTA updated firmware players. If there is a file limit I have not found it and mine has over 18,000 tracks in the library. I am sure that database is one big database because that is how my AK380 database works. Of course that is not true for folder mode which browses starting with internal, micro SD and SD.

May 5, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #291 of 2,698
Have been listening to Kann with Beyerdynamic T1 since last night. To my surprise, it drives it! I have to use high gain with volume 78/150 though, if you like it loud, 100/150 should be more than enough to blow your ear drum off. Very balanced sound coming out of T1. Have not heard of distortions yet. This is the first time I can use a DAP to drive T1 without an amp! Usually I have to use iFi iDSD when I am on the move. Kann handles T1 quite well except, of course, missing the tube smooth sound(of my desktop setup). Comparable to iDSD. I use SE only though since my T1 is 1st gen.

Funny thing is that Kann is much cooler using high gain with 16bit/44khz than 24bit/192khz with low gain. I bet it saves more power as well. So far it runs for more than 15 hours with low gain/24bit/192khz volume 40/150. Maybe it can run longer without charging but I do not have the patient to wait for it to deplete the power. It definitely will last for a long flight.

I think Kann is perfect for mobile listening. Maybe I should cancel my WA8 order...

May 5, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #292 of 2,698
Fast, have not hit any limit yet, one big database, exept folder browsing, where you select internal, SD, or micro as the main folder to list through.

Kann may be the one to offer the best combo of sonics, amp power, ease of use, along with storage and battery capacity, in a single unit. I also have a PAW Gold, Opus2, QP1R, Sony ZX2, and Cowon P1. Time to clean house. (I will keep the PAW, almost certainly, the rest.....not sure yet.

snip Some practical (not sq related) questions:
  • Is file scanning on Kann slow or fast?
  • Has anybody noticed a file limit on Kann?
  • When using internal memory + sd card + micro sd card, do the files (all songs / artists) show up as if it was one (big) database?
Thanks in advance!

May 5, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #294 of 2,698
Can anyone compare the Kann to the DP-X1? Kann's on the way and X1 is going to my son. Just want to know if the upgrade is worth the wife killing me
From my memory of DP-X1, the Kann is thicker in bass and more forward mids. But it also hisses a good deal more on sensitive IEMs.

May 6, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #295 of 2,698
Hey guys, I've got a few questions.
I saw the Kann case made by Miter on moon audio website, but I don't fancy the design... Is there anywhere else that I can buy a case for the Kann?
Also, where can I get a non-tempered glass screen protector for Kann?
Dignis is coming up with their case if you can wait.

May 6, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #297 of 2,698
12 hours of burning in each night, 4~6 hours listening...giving my KANN a good workout.

A couple of things I find problem with KANN
1. lower quality connectors. Lots of free play with most all connectors (2.5mm, 3.5mm, micro-USB and USB-C). In time to come, we will see how these holds up but I reckoned problems will crop up. Make sure you test your units for these as I have found 5~6 units with the same problem, some worst than the other.

2. The rubber coated top and bottom plate are easily scratched and show rub marks all too easy. Make the unit looked cheap. What were you thinking of iRiver?

3. Lack of hardware "lock" button is an inconvenient (for me at least)

4. No comments on sound quality as I'm still burning this sucker in, and getting used to its sound signature. Initial impression is a lack of upper mids and treble is kinda subdued...will revisit this in about 10 days after >100 hours of burning in.

Liking this thus far...

May 6, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #299 of 2,698
From my memory of DP-X1, the Kann is thicker in bass and more forward mids. But it also hisses a good deal more on sensitive IEMs.

Agree on this too. I can say both have different sound profile. X1a is neutral, clear, detailed. But if you want something thicker in bass with more "oomph" (pardon my non audiophile term), kann is the answer.

May 6, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #300 of 2,698
After 10 hrs of play it either sounds good or it doesnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back