Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
May 3, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #271 of 2,698
I dunno...I never like sound equalisation on a DAP as I find the result artificial to my liking (I've heard only LPG equaliser is any good among any DAP, but I have not personally tried it)

In anyway I will be receiving my unit tomorrow so I will definitely give it a try. As it is, I'm kinda NOT looking forward to it, which is a weird feeling as I am usually pretty excited to be receiving a new toys LoL

*that just tells you how I find the KANN...#meh

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #272 of 2,698
Oh my goodness, it sounds so different! Out of curiosity I tried my T8IEMKII with balanced cable. I am confident to say that if you want to use Kann to enjoy music, you really need to use Balanced out. All the drawbacks in SE disappeared. The sound is dynamic, live and fun. It feels like the SE is not properly amped if you know what I mean. The bass is great when compared with SE which is good. Comparing it with Opus#2 balanced out, they both exhibits almost the same sound signature except Kann is a little bit warm, just a tiny bit. I did not use EQ and see no point of using EQ. Both performs equally great. Treble is still dominated by Opus#2, more analytical sound on Opus#2. Both units on volume 40, to me this is a loud but comfortable listening volume.

Ok, I think I'll stop now. It is a great DAP if you use balanced out. I'll leave the rest of "real" impressions to professional reviewers. It is a great DAP for its price and comparable to more expensive units. If you buy it and use balanced out, I don't think you will regret or miss anything. :ksc75smile:

May 3, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #273 of 2,698
Oh my goodness, it sounds so different! Out of curiosity I tried my T8IEMKII with balanced cable. I am confident to say that if you want to use Kann to enjoy music, you really need to use Balanced out. All the drawbacks in SE disappeared. The sound is dynamic, live and fun. It feels like the SE is not properly amped if you know what I mean. The bass is great when compared with SE which is good. Comparing it with Opus#2 balanced out, they both exhibits almost the same sound signature except Kann is a little bit warm, just a tiny bit. I did not use EQ and see no point of using EQ. Both performs equally great. Treble is still dominated by Opus#2, more analytical sound on Opus#2. Both units on volume 40, to me this is a loud but comfortable listening volume.

Ok, I think I'll stop now. It is a great DAP if you use balanced out. I'll leave the rest of "real" impressions to professional reviewers. It is a great DAP for its price and comparable to more expensive units. If you buy it and use balanced out, I don't think you will regret or miss anything. :ksc75smile:

i plan to use it balanced as that is the whole point to get the additional power, i really hope it sounds much better than my iphone 7 plus which i am using almost all day and leaving all my daps at home. I got my iphone 7 plus 1 week ago, and i enjoy all the great apps and streaming apps to extreme. And the sound with shure 846 is amazing. It has this full sound and I have access to all the amazing apps and their eqs like i can turn the sound to how I like . I barley can listen to 50% volume using iphone 7 plus and shure 846 and that is really loud. And I am getting thumping bass if I want, good sound stage and good full mids. And all that is with the stupid dongle cable.

I know many will look at this post like what am I talking about, well to be honest once you are out and about the iphone as an all in one device with iems is good enough.
I bought from AAW there new capri lighting cable with high res dac and amp built in for shure 846 so that I do not have to rely on an adapter

lets see if kann does not sound at least 30% better than my iphone then daps for me are a no go from now, kann was my last trial with daps to see if with better amp power if it will offer a real life difference. I had a good share of totl daps like ak380 and amp, cowon plenue s, cowon pm2. So really this will be the final stroke with daps, As honestly I am just fed up with claims that are not translated into real life experience when compared to even fiio x5iii or a phone anymore. And the only reason why I bought the KANN is because of its balanced power and huge storage so if it sounds is a let down, then good bye to any interest in any daps from now, unless something really sound breaking will come out. I was excited to see what cowon will come up so they came up with the P2 and to me I see not even one selling point comapred to my cowon pm2.

Anyhow with my iphone and using its stupid dongle the shure 846 simply sounds so good. I did not receive the capri cable yet, so it will be interesting to see what will be my position after I get the cable and then compare everything to cowon pm2 dap and Ak Kann

Also I bought the rha dac/amp L1 which I carry around on trips just in case I need a huge upgrade to sound coming from my iphone, the rha dac/amp simply rocks if i want to listen to a planar headphone while on a long trip or while chilling in the garden of my house. I barely reach 40% of its volume with my lcd2 . After I got the rha I am selling my mojo tomorrow to someone also I am selling my alo mk3 B amp in the classifieds

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #274 of 2,698
Hey guys, Tidal works sounds great
Also, I hear different but great equal soundstage using tidal.

No one also has mentioned playing dsd files, which come even more alive using kann

I am happy

May 3, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #275 of 2,698
my kann, notice size, to me little bigger about inch than deck of cards, not too thick really surprised me very portable IMG_0525.JPG

May 3, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #276 of 2,698
Can't (KANN) do Tidal offline is a big disappointment

...but I do agree the size and weight is just about perfect for me (of course I would love great amping and long battery life at tiny wafer thin form factor...but we will just be reasonable here) and this thing looked so much better in real life

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #277 of 2,698
Now that I figured out how to post pics, will post more pics, on color, originally wanted blue, but silver, sorry I'm color blind, looks good, growing on me, topic heat////

Kann battery nice, barely depleting, fully charge will let go down then recharge, I up screen bright as well, nice display

I feel her getting warm but not hot, and somehow now mind me had few beers lol, I think the color material or coating in paint ////Astro Silver, along with matetial not using right word, helps dampen heat?

Or am I tipsy lol, maybe both

May 5, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #280 of 2,698
May 5, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #281 of 2,698
Yes mine came with couple screen protectors, so excited forgot to look at these, also I love my Kann, my first dsp, sounding good, getting better as use it, ( mind you I'm new), impressive using cheap kz-ate earbuds,

Balanced out with right earphones will be awesome if loving it now.
Tidal sounds awesome as well

May 5, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #283 of 2,698
me too - I just noticed the protector sitting on my desk... Live and learn, I guess, I am really liking mine quite a bit. It may be "the one" for me.

May 5, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #284 of 2,698
LOL oh yes i've found them! I was so excited and I didn't bother to check the rest of the package. :p
Loving the sound now. It's sweet and lush with Empire Ears Zeus R.

What about hiss with Kann + EE Zeus?

May 5, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #285 of 2,698
Thanks for all the impressions posted so far! When Kann's sq is at least on par with Plenue 1, then I would be very impressed :ksc75smile:

Some practical (not sq related) questions:
  • Is file scanning on Kann slow or fast?
  • Has anybody noticed a file limit on Kann?
  • When using internal memory + sd card + micro sd card, do the files (all songs / artists) show up as if it was one (big) database?
Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back