Astell & Kern KANN - DAP with Massive Storage & Battery
Apr 29, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #226 of 2,698
Apr 29, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #227 of 2,698
That is very good price, $300 less than what I paid for!

Moon Audio sent me email with tracking that my DAP will arrive on Tuesday. Let's wait and see...

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #231 of 2,698
Amazon in the UK has a nice pre-sale with 88£ off.
Of course they won't ship internationally (it would have been nice, but they put restrictions on shipping DAP outside the UK...) but for folks in the UK, this is a good price.

May 1, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #234 of 2,698
Just got email tracking from Moon Audio, mine should be here tomorrow, not sure how much help can be as my first dap, heck only headphones at present KZAte, which sound amazing to me for 14 bucks, Will gives impressions of build quality fit expressions, or try answer any questions if I can as newbie

May 1, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #235 of 2,698
I got my Kann today and will post feedback later in the week. I'm upgrading from the Sony NW-A25 and hoping for a big improvement.

One note I haven't seen elsewhere: it comes with one cable that is a USB to USB-C cable. The Kann takes the USB-C end, and most users should be fine with the cable.

May 1, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #239 of 2,698
Many daps will sound better than the Sony NW-A25.

May 2, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #240 of 2,698
Just got mine. Initial impression(after 20 minutes of cross referencing), Opus #2 is better all around. More resolution, detail, bass goes deeper and more impact. The sound signature is surprisingly similar between these two DAP except Kann is a bit warm. Since I am not a professional reviewer, I am not going to embarrass myself to use big words and deep theories to explain what I hear. When I say more, I mean like 1~2 db differences of the same frequency band. I think the main area Opus #2 better than Kann is its dynamic range. Kann performs well, very well, better than Plenue 1. I used Andromeda to test both DAP. Both show the same amount of hiss at 35.

Kann is very solid, holding it in my hand feels like very natural. You can imagine that when your palm facing upward, your fingers wrap around things naturally. This is how it feels holding Kann. Unlike Opus, your fingers have to stretch open to hold the DAP. It is heavy, like a brick but small. I don't think majority of people will complain about the size and weight. But, if you are used to Plenue series, you probably need to get used to the weight.

EQ goes +5DB down to -5DB. I think this is the best EQ interface so far. it even shows the current DB at the lower left corner when adjusting. I like the UI very much. UI is very good. Not very fast, but you will get used to its pace. No software bugs so far. No ghost touching yet. Runs warm after 5 minutes! Not warm warm but you can feel its temperature coming up, higher than your body temperature.

The SD card is 256GB PNY. They also come with 2 dummy SD and 2 dummy TF. I don't know why they feel like having two sets of both format.

This is just my personal impression after 20 minutes. Take it as a grain of salt. I need to enjoy it for more days before drawing conclusion. For the price, I think it is worth it. Please don't ask me to compare it with i5 or X7, they are in the same league.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back