Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #3,257 of 3,321
You can buy it for even less than that price from Joybuy at just $129. No case included though and only rose gold colour available.
Wow you are correct. Seems like a great deal.

BTW can anyone compare it to higher end players like se100 or Sony wm1a? I'm thinking about an upgrade.

And another question - for home listening, what source is preferred if I have active speakers? (I'm currently using AK Jr with audioengine hd6)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #3,258 of 3,321
The Jr is now sold for 155$, seem like a great price for 500$ player. I got mine a year ago and love it.
The Jr, was my first 'high end' player... Love it too. Now I use it as a backup.

Mar 27, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #3,259 of 3,321
The Jr, was my first 'high end' player... Love it too. Now I use it as a backup.

i see in your sig you are now using sp2000. I'll never spend that kind of money on a dap probably, but I wonder if you feel there's a huge improvement in sound quality over the JR? I read somewhere in the SE100 thread for example, a user with se100 could not really detect a difference from his old JR (at least in one occasion).

Mar 27, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #3,260 of 3,321
i see in your sig you are now using sp2000. I'll never spend that kind of money on a dap probably, but I wonder if you feel there's a huge improvement in sound quality over the JR? I read somewhere in the SE100 thread for example, a user with se100 could not really detect a difference from his old JR (at least in one occasion).
That's a silly question. Is a Ferrari better than a Yugo? You're new at this, eh?

Mar 27, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #3,261 of 3,321
That's a silly question. Is a Ferrari better than a Yugo? You're new at this, eh?

Not silly at all in my opinion. I did not ask if there's a difference (I suppose there is) but if it is such a huge one. I wouldn't be surprised if the law of diminishing returns is found in the area of audiophile expensive products much more than other fields of life. :)

Mar 27, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #3,262 of 3,321
Not silly at all in my opinion. I did not ask if there's a difference (I suppose there is) but if it is such a huge one. I wouldn't be surprised if the law of diminishing returns is found in the area of audiophile expensive products much more than other fields of life. :)
It's actually a moronic question, I was being nice.

Done.

Mar 27, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #3,264 of 3,321
@oriventura take a look at this threads my friend. From the sound science sub forum:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dap...-difference-in-the-sound-reproduction.821326/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/is-...ference-between-different-dacs.806705/page-11

Never heard any high end DAP. But from reading that threads, well it seems that actually the differences in sound accuracy between a normal capable DAP and a Flagship are just marginal and a matter of taste, impedance, and synergy between your headphones and your source, and of amping. Also of course the build quality and materials used for construction and R&D adds to the price of just about every commodity.

Anyway, some people may talk about the "superior sound quality" of their equipment without providing any tangible evidence of their claims. If you are liking the SQ of any device just be happy with that regardless of the cost. It is better keep reading claims based on a scientific basis like the threads above.

Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #3,265 of 3,321
The Jr is now sold for 155$, seem like a great price for 500$ player. I got mine a year ago and love it.

oh for sure!! That price? Absolute steal! I remember I paid a little over 500 for mine 3.5 yrs ago. I still use it almost every day. Awesome player for the money. I may just buy another one once the battery goes on mine.

May 1, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #3,268 of 3,321
Is a Ferrari better than a Yugo? That all depends on what you want to use your car for. With a Ferrari idling at numerous sets of lights in a city, it's just wanker value. You can't utilise all it can do fully so it becomes a status symbol. Do you own or have driven a Ferrari? Can you tell us about how it performs in comparison with the Yugo?

Your reply offered the OP no insights whatsoever, all he received was your scorn and patronising attitude. This forum is all about offering constructive advice and many newbies need this advice. Finally, have you heard both of the DAPs? Probably not? I'd also guess that you are a typical product of the Dunning-Kreuger effect.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #3,269 of 3,321
I have the Fiio X1 and I want to upgrade to a better DAP. I have the LGV40 and I thought it would replace my daily commute dap, but unfortunately not. I am looking for an audiophile grade dap, with very clean and detailed sound, flat response and neutral sound. I really don't need any extra features, touch display, or anything else. I have the AK JR, ibasso dx90 or 120, Fiio X5iii, and some other DAP in mind. I am open to any suggestions you might have. I plan to pair it with the Hifiman RE600, MSR7, and Sennheiser IE800.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #3,270 of 3,321
I have the Fiio X1 and I want to upgrade to a better DAP. I have the LGV40 and I thought it would replace my daily commute dap, but unfortunately not. I am looking for an audiophile grade dap, with very clean and detailed sound, flat response and neutral sound. I really don't need any extra features, touch display, or anything else. I have the AK JR, ibasso dx90 or 120, Fiio X5iii, and some other DAP in mind. I am open to any suggestions you might have. I plan to pair it with the Hifiman RE600, MSR7, and Sennheiser IE800.

I think the Cowon Plenue or Plenue 2 is your best bet. I’m probably gonna get one once my JR dies. It is a great bare bones player without all that bells and whistles crap, which you are paying way too much for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back