Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #3,272 of 3,321
I have the Fiio X1 and I want to upgrade to a better DAP. I have the LGV40 and I thought it would replace my daily commute dap, but unfortunately not. I am looking for an audiophile grade dap, with very clean and detailed sound, flat response and neutral sound. I really don't need any extra features, touch display, or anything else. I have the AK JR, ibasso dx90 or 120, Fiio X5iii, and some other DAP in mind. I am open to any suggestions you might have. I plan to pair it with the Hifiman RE600, MSR7, and Sennheiser IE800.
I had a Fiio X3ii which I replaced with the AKjr. The AKjr has much better miss even though it's more v-shaped and warm. When the battery went on the AKjr, I replaced it with an iBasso DX160. I haven't charged the Jr since.

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #3,275 of 3,321
You want to say DX160 is a good choice? Any comparison with the OPUS#1, which would you suggest?
OPUS #1. It's like going from a narrow suffocating room to an actually suite. It may sound slightly more analytical, but the Opus is, compared to most, neutral and detailed. I have both.

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3,276 of 3,321
OPUS #1. It's like going from a narrow suffocating room to an actually suite. It may sound slightly more analytical, but the Opus is, compared to most, neutral and detailed. I have both.

Thank you for the help guys. In the end I decided to go with the Ibasso DX200. Will share my impressions after I receive it.

Oct 18, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #3,278 of 3,321
This isn't really a "reply" to any of the (few) posts in 2020. Just a general response to Impressions (as this IS the thread we're on, regarding the A&K Jr.)

I have lived with it playing songs almost daily in my office for 4 years. The AUDIO quality is still as good as it gets for a DAP which cost me <$200. It has been very reliable. I bought a wall wart to power it and run the line out into a Logitek Squeezebox Boom which has excellent sound for its diminutive size.

There ARE TWO GLARING faults I'm living with and (grumble, grumble) cuss it out frequently for:
1. Its very POOR shuffle. Out of a library of over 3,000 tracks, I only hear the same maybe-300 unless I change into a different list. The other approximately 2700 ARE there, just aren't being "seen," or are being ignored somehow. A few of the other DAP's I've had in the past had this same problem, but not all.
2. Probably the WORST fault is the apparent lack of an "auto-leveling" feature. I really miss this, as each track gets played slightly higher -- or much lower -- than the previous one. It just depends. Apparently the relative track volume came from the CD it was ripped from. One of my previous DAP's had the option of turning its Auto-Level feature On or Off. In the off position, you had the varying levels of tracks, like I have now, with the A&K Jr. Switched on, every track played at a uniform volume. This feature had nothing to do with audio compression: you could still have high & low peaks within a given song, based on that song's internal dynamics.

I am not in a position to replace this player with a higher-priced A&K player. I am after SQ first, but really would like to have the above two features on a daily basis. Anyone else out there using this player like I do & having further insights: it would be great to hear from you !

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #3,279 of 3,321
This isn't really a "reply" to any of the (few) posts in 2020. Just a general response to Impressions (as this IS the thread we're on, regarding the A&K Jr.)

I have lived with it playing songs almost daily in my office for 4 years. The AUDIO quality is still as good as it gets for a DAP which cost me <$200. It has been very reliable. I bought a wall wart to power it and run the line out into a Logitek Squeezebox Boom which has excellent sound for its diminutive size.

There ARE TWO GLARING faults I'm living with and (grumble, grumble) cuss it out frequently for:
1. Its very POOR shuffle. Out of a library of over 3,000 tracks, I only hear the same maybe-300 unless I change into a different list. The other approximately 2700 ARE there, just aren't being "seen," or are being ignored somehow. A few of the other DAP's I've had in the past had this same problem, but not all.
2. Probably the WORST fault is the apparent lack of an "auto-leveling" feature. I really miss this, as each track gets played slightly higher -- or much lower -- than the previous one. It just depends. Apparently the relative track volume came from the CD it was ripped from. One of my previous DAP's had the option of turning its Auto-Level feature On or Off. In the off position, you had the varying levels of tracks, like I have now, with the A&K Jr. Switched on, every track played at a uniform volume. This feature had nothing to do with audio compression: you could still have high & low peaks within a given song, based on that song's internal dynamics.

I am not in a position to replace this player with a higher-priced A&K player. I am after SQ first, but really would like to have the above two features on a daily basis. Anyone else out there using this player like I do & having further insights: it would be great to hear from you !
I have been agonizing over the volume issue with all my daps...its the tracks not the daps.

The shuffle issue is the grteatest frustration I have ever had with music players, but I have the problem with all players I have had, even my iphone. It is maddening.

Oct 18, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #3,280 of 3,321
I have been agonizing over the volume issue with all my daps...its the tracks not the daps.

The shuffle issue is the grteatest frustration I have ever had with music players, but I have the problem with all players I have had, even my iphone. It is maddening.
Have you had any experience with either the Sony HAP-Z1ES or HAP-S1 players (neither are portable players?

Oct 18, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #3,281 of 3,321
Oct 19, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #3,282 of 3,321
I tend to be an 'album' listener either rock or classical. Because of the laggy GUI using the seek track system, I've organised my music via the folder system which gets me quickly to any album/track I want to scroll to. My main folder (classical) is the bulk of what I've got on the Junior. The other main folder is all my rock/pop/EDM/etc - I call it "Other Music". I haven't tried it but wonder if putting this main folder (over 40 CDs) into shuffle mode would have the desired result.

Like you, I think the SQ for a player of this price when combined with top quality iems like my Flare Golds is simply unbeatable for the price. I'll keep it until it drops!

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #3,284 of 3,321
I have had mine for a few years now. I play it in my garage or over my tubes. All FLAC.
I take fanatical care of it because when i bought the thing was very expensive. The only problem i have had is i accidently left it in my pocket and my wife threw my shorts in the wash than in the dryer. Horror. I left it in the sun during the day and at night in rice. For 2 weeks. Than charged it up and its been working fine. The Bluetooth had issues after the wash but everything else is working ok.
Battery. Every so often i play it until it goes completely dead. Than charge it. So far i still get a full day of playing out of it. I also format it once a year and that seems to speed things up.
Has anyone been able to monkey around with the software and improve it?

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #3,285 of 3,321
I have had mine for a few years now. I play it in my garage or over my tubes. All FLAC.
I take fanatical care of it because when i bought the thing was very expensive. The only problem i have had is i accidently left it in my pocket and my wife threw my shorts in the wash than in the dryer. Horror. I left it in the sun during the day and at night in rice. For 2 weeks. Than charged it up and its been working fine. The Bluetooth had issues after the wash but everything else is working ok.
Battery. Every so often i play it until it goes completely dead. Than charge it. So far i still get a full day of playing out of it. I also format it once a year and that seems to speed things up.
Has anyone been able to monkey around with the software and improve it?
The software/firmware is set in stone with version 1.03. It hasn’t been updated or changed in years.
my suggestion to limit lag and buggy problems with the UI just don’t exceed the 64 Gig memory card. :wink:

ive had my player now for nearly 6 years. :wink:
Still works like a champ and the battery life is decent. I get 4 hrs still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back