Astell & Kern Junior (AK Jr.) Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #3,226 of 3,321
may I ask how much of the storage is full in your DAP currently ? and when all 64GB is nearly full or microSD card is nearly full , UI response becomes significantly slower or is it same ? what i mean is that if it is bearable to use it ? would you consider the lag is not too much even with many songs loaded ?

I regretably dont have the Jr anymore, but i had around 100gb of music on an SD card, and kept the internal storage empty. I didnt find lag to be a deal-breaking issue at all with my player. UI was much much better than the click wheel blue screen ipod that i had before the A&K

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #3,227 of 3,321
I regretably dont have the Jr anymore, but i had around 100gb of music on an SD card, and kept the internal storage empty. I didnt find lag to be a deal-breaking issue at all with my player. UI was much much better than the click wheel blue screen ipod that i had before the A&K

thank you friend, I guess I will but it then because I found a deal for 115$ for this DAP which is quite good I guess

Dec 30, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #3,229 of 3,321
hi friends, I read most of the recent posts regarding this DAP but I couldn`t find an answer for one thing especially.. after the latest firmware (v1.03) , how is the UI`s response ? is it still very laggy ? I`m seriously thinking to buy this DAP but if UI lag issues are not resolved after the latest firmware , I guess I will pass on this one. If you could reply me about this issue I`d be appreciated , thank you.

*ok, i`ve found the answer to that question in reddit , it seems not much changed after firmware upgrade. and by judging Astell&Kernel released only 2 firmware upgrade since last 3 years , I don`t think it will be solved with a new FW upgrade.
Gotta love this site coming with an avalanche of great responses! My 2 cents:

I have an amazing 2 channel speaker system with tubes etc so I’m new to the HeadFi scene but not the audiophile community. The AKJR was my first foray into DAP and FWIW, I am in love.

Yes, the system is really laggy and I only use folders for music files but the sound and portability is so good that it punches well above its weight.

I always have low expectations for UI with DAP’s so maybe I was not disappointed? It works well as long as you don’t intend to fiddle. I also keep the internal memory bare and use an external SD card.

Good luck!

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #3,230 of 3,321
With a big overseas holiday coming up I bought the Super Jr. still the same DAP but with a meh colour scheme. I got it for a great price. I don’t care about the colour because I bought the player for its sound not it’s aesthetics. Also I can hide all that with a cover. More about that later.

I also use a folder system because this is how my music is stored on my computer HDs. I simply drag and drop the folders onto the Jr. Lag is minimal to nonexistent. On top of that, this is a music player, not a smart phone - I’m using it primarily to listen to music and the Jr is superb in this regard. It does what I bought it for.

Now about the cover. Earlier posts in this thread mentioned a silicon gel version but it doesn’t seem to be available any more. Does anyone know where I could get one? If not, what covers are available. The usual one is about $80:which is expensive IMO.

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #3,231 of 3,321
I still absolutely love this DAP.
I'm using it with the Cypher Labs Algorithm Trio Tube Amp and the Sony mdr Z7's . this is such a fun portable set up .
I tried a few other high-end headphones with this set up like, Final Audio D8000's, Lcd xc's and the focal utopias.
I am amazed how great portable audio can sound with truly high end headphones . so much fun but I do recommend an external amp for all the headphones listed here . Makes a difference, but still the JR on its own with say a pair of blue mofi's is delightful .
The jr still stands the test of time with me.
I am also very surprised they discontinued this model. Has a great design and the UI really isn't bad at all provided you don't exceed a 64gig external sd CARD. :)

Jan 18, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #3,232 of 3,321
Hey there everyone
Im kinda new to this and was hoping to get some help deciding on upgrading from my astell and kern jr to the sony nw-a55

I pretty much love my a&k jr it has been a blast for the past couple of years but the battery is a huge let down and the UI is very much outdated
But I gotten used to it and it still sounds great...

I have audio technica m50x and it gets pretty loud with the a&k jr

Sometimes i work in very loud environment and i put the volume close to all the way high

Now my question is

Should i upgrade to the sony nw-A55 or stay with my a&k jr?

Is there is an upgrade in power from the a&k jr to the a55 ? I just dont wanna lose power when upgrading or my m50x doesn't sound as loud as it is with my a&k jr?

Thanks for your help in advance

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #3,234 of 3,321
Reviews have shown that (like the 35 - which I owned - and 45 series’) the 55 series has a weak output. No way wil it come close to the AKJr.

Stay with the Jr!

Thank you very much for your quick reply

What other dab would you recommend that would be a decent upgrade from the ak jr with much better battery life and better UI? (Within budget of 400$ to 500$)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #3,235 of 3,321
I don't have a lot of experience with recent DAPs in this price range, but if you can find a good first gen AK70 it would certainly fill the bill if you like the AK sound. I have an iBasso DX120 on order which had good reviews, Otherwise, Fiio M9, Hiby R3
all look good.

Jan 18, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #3,236 of 3,321
Hey there everyone
Im kinda new to this and was hoping to get some help deciding on upgrading from my astell and kern jr to the sony nw-a55

I pretty much love my a&k jr it has been a blast for the past couple of years but the battery is a huge let down and the UI is very much outdated
But I gotten used to it and it still sounds great...

I have audio technica m50x and it gets pretty loud with the a&k jr

Sometimes i work in very loud environment and i put the volume close to all the way high

Now my question is

Should i upgrade to the sony nw-A55 or stay with my a&k jr?

Is there is an upgrade in power from the a&k jr to the a55 ? I just dont wanna lose power when upgrading or my m50x doesn't sound as loud as it is with my a&k jr?

Thanks for your help in advance

Honestly the jr is so good you need to hit the 1200 to 1500$ price range to get a substantial upgrade in sound quality and UI performance .

If I was you. I'd buy the KANN. It's a bit bulky but it's funtionalty is amazing.

1300$ though. :frowning2:

Jan 18, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #3,237 of 3,321
Honestly the jr is so good you need to hit the 1200 to 1500$ price range to get a substantial upgrade in sound quality and UI performance .

If I was you. I'd buy the KANN. It's a bit bulky but it's funtionalty is amazing.

Not necessarily. Cayin N6 costs much less but produces a much better sound than Jr. Actually exactly half of the price mentioned.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #3,238 of 3,321

Definitely agree that you really have to move quite far up the ladder to get a serious upgrade on the sound of the Jr (although the UI leaves a fair bit to be desired) if you're sticking with A&K. I'd say that the AK300 is still a solid proposition as a serious upgrade from the Jr, and can be picked up for a bit less than the KANN.

I upgraded from the Jr to the AK70 and found that it didn't feel like much of an upgrade in terms of sound compared to the Jr (although the UI was far better!). I'd planned on picking up the KANN next, but managed to try out an AK300 and I'm glad that I did. The battery life isn't as impressive as the KANN, but the sound quality and voicing suited my taste perfectly. Should be able to pick one up used for under $1000 i'd imagine.

I doubt i'll upgrade again until I can afford the SP1000M and can get one used (which might be a long time!).

Jan 22, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #3,239 of 3,321
Definitely agree that you really have to move quite far up the ladder to get a serious upgrade on the sound of the Jr (although the UI leaves a fair bit to be desired) if you're sticking with A&K. I'd say that the AK300 is still a solid proposition as a serious upgrade from the Jr, and can be picked up for a bit less than the KANN.

I upgraded from the Jr to the AK70 and found that it didn't feel like much of an upgrade in terms of sound compared to the Jr (although the UI was far better!). I'd planned on picking up the KANN next, but managed to try out an AK300 and I'm glad that I did. The battery life isn't as impressive as the KANN, but the sound quality and voicing suited my taste perfectly. Should be able to pick one up used for under $1000 i'd imagine.

I doubt i'll upgrade again until I can afford the SP1000M and can get one used (which might be a long time!).

I'd love to try the AK 300 .
Have not yet .
I bet it is amazing because even the jr paired with a nice external tube amp is really awesome for a Portable set up. :)

Jan 22, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #3,240 of 3,321
Hey guys. Just want to ask . I know the portable external amp market is small these days to pair with DAP's, however does anyone own the Cypher Labs Algorithm Trio Portable Vacuum tube amplifier?

It is an awesome pairing with the jr And using the Jr's line out feature acting as a preamp can drive some pretty amazing high end headphones. Like the focal utopias.

I currently use the SONY MDR Z7's with the Trio and the Jr connected up with a Nordost Blue Heaven I-Kable.

Guys . I love it . Hope some have tried this or can relate to similar experiences integrating the Jr .with different gear .:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back