Astell&Kern AK380
May 25, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #5,326 of 9,041
Received my replacement AK380, also direct from the UK distributor. This one didn't have any scuffs on it thank goodness. It did show some slight signs of tarnishing already though. I guess part of this is related to how long the device is in storage for before arriving with its new owner. Still at least I know that will easily polish out. It is interesting though, because I think the first one had a different kind of coating on it. It was slightly glossier and you could see the lines where someone had gone over spraying it. Whereas this one is not quite as glossy and there are no coating lines. Altthough also interestingly, the first one only had 25% battery charge whereas the second one 80% which would suggest the first one had been in storage longer......

I did come across a copper coating spray on Amazon UK that claims you never have to polish it again! But it is a spray, so you would have to uber careful not to get spray on the screen or back, or in the ports etc.....and then there is the volume knob!

May 25, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #5,327 of 9,041
Anyone willing to try this coating for their copper? Seems pretty legit - clear ceramic coating.

https://www.clearcoating.com/products/MC-160/

I wonder why ak didn't use something like this.

May 25, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #5,328 of 9,041
i for one find it really too much work to keep polishing and worrying about polishing and would not go the copper route even if the sound quality was 20% better than ak380 regular version. Of course the ak380cu is not 20% better than ak380.

Too much talk about polishing and not sound and barley any talk about the regular ak380 here anymore

Maybe because we have no firmware upgrades to talk about, or any hope in getting a better amp, and we have no more info about tidal

May 25, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #5,329 of 9,041
  i for one find it really too much work to keep polishing and worrying about polishing and would not go the copper route even if the sound quality was 20% better than ak380 regular version. Of course the ak380cu is not 20% better than ak380.

Too much talk about polishing and not sound and barley any talk about the regular ak380 here anymore

Maybe because we have no firmware upgrades to talk about, or any hope in getting a better amp, and we have no more info about tidal

I hear you. I think it's important to understand though that a large part of the cost with the AK units, is the styling and materials used. It is a bit like a piece of jewelry and as a luxury item there will be plenty of discussion about cosmetic aspects too. In some ways it would be nice if they just produced a version with the same electronics and optimized shell that didn't have all these strange angles and edges....then the cost for the same sound, for people who only care about the sound, would be a lot less. 

I do wonder how much time and effort I can stand polishing this thing too.... Talking of which

The UK distributor recommends something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001O8M64A/ref=s9_simh_gw_g60_i1_r?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=948WY1W8FN80DSFYKYJD&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=867551807&pf_rd_i=desktop

And doesn't recommend brasso as they said its an agitant. 

However the shampoo product doesn't have a preventative which means it will just start tarnishing immediately again. This is the spray I was referring to that provides a semi-permanent seal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HG-Silver-Copper-Polish-No-More-Finish/dp/B001OSPT3K/ref=pd_sim_60_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=413Qh8by0QL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=****XNMMK139VXW6BVMG

May 25, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #5,331 of 9,041
Hello everybody.

Please excuse me but I don't read this thread because is very long. I need help, good help.

I have ak240 for two years, but the truth is this is my third unit I possess because the 3 units have the same problem: the volume button isn't work correctly. Sometimes I go up in volume only half step and the player go up 4-6-7-10 steps, or go down steps when I want to going up in volume only!! The opposite is true too, I sometimes want to go down and it's going up!

This problem is the same for the 3 units I have all this time, but the third unit isn't bad like the first and the second. I read the ak240 thread 2 years ago and many people having the same problem.

My question is, is the ak380 100% ok with this problem? For me the external volume button is one very important reason I buying the ak240. The balanced mode and the DSD isn't very important for me (I use FLAC always from good CD masters).

This help is very important because the ak380 is $1000 more expensive and when I sell my ak240 I will losing a lot of money too. For me the small size, user interface, solid construction, BIG storage, excellent external volume control with a lot of steps, fast forward and rewind are the most important for me (DSD, MQS, balanced mode or DAC mode isn't). This is the reason I don't buy other player after ak240.

I thank you everybody that help me in advance for good and honest advice.

May 25, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #5,332 of 9,041
Received my replacement AK380, also direct from the UK distributor. This one didn't have any scuffs on it thank goodness. It did show some slight signs of tarnishing already though. I guess part of this is related to how long the device is in storage for before arriving with its new owner. Still at least I know that will easily polish out. It is interesting though, because I think the first one had a different kind of coating on it. It was slightly glossier and you could see the lines where someone had gone over spraying it. Whereas this one is not quite as glossy and there are no coating lines. Altthough also interestingly, the first one only had 25% battery charge whereas the second one 80% which would suggest the first one had been in storage longer......

I did come across a copper coating spray on Amazon UK that claims you never have to polish it again! But it is a spray, so you would have to uber careful not to get spray on the screen or back, or in the ports etc.....and then there is the volume knob!

It might be a demo unit. Replacements from A&K is so risky. You don't know what would you get.

May 25, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #5,333 of 9,041
Hello everybody.

Please excuse me but I don't read this thread because is very long. I need help, good help.

I have ak240 for two years, but the truth is this is my third unit I possess because the 3 units have the same problem: the volume button isn't work correctly. Sometimes I go up in volume only half step and the player go up 4-6-7-10 steps, or go down steps when I want to going up in volume only!! The opposite is true too, I sometimes want to go down and it's going up!

This problem is the same for the 3 units I have all this time, but the third unit isn't bad like the first and the second. I read the ak240 thread 2 years ago and many people having the same problem.

My question is, is the ak380 100% ok with this problem? For me the external volume button is one very important reason I buying the ak240. The balanced mode and the DSD isn't very important for me (I use FLAC always from good CD masters).

This help is very important because the ak380 is $1000 more expensive and when I sell my ak240 I will losing a lot of money too. For me the small size, user interface, solid construction, BIG storage, excellent external volume control with a lot of steps, fast forward and rewind are the most important for me (DSD, MQS, balanced mode or DAC mode isn't). This is the reason I don't buy other player after ak240.

Why dont you consider ak320? Still good storage, neat built that is meant precisly for your purpose ( not dsd native, big screen, friendly UI )

May 25, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #5,334 of 9,041
  Hello everybody.

This help is very important because the ak380 is $1000 more expensive and when I sell my ak240 I will losing a lot of money too. For me the small size, user interface, solid construction, BIG storage, excellent external volume control with a lot of steps, fast forward and rewind are the most important for me (DSD, MQS, balanced mode or DAC mode isn't). This is the reason I don't buy other player after ak240.

Originally Posted by Eroica4th /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Why dont you consider ak320? Still good storage, neat buit that is meant precisly for your purpose.

I don't think he's asking just about the price.

@angelom , I know exactly the problem you're talking about the erratic volume dial on the AK240. I had the problem and Vinnie (RWA) helped to fix it when I RWAKed my AK240. I did not experience this problem on the demo AK380 I had nor with the AK380Cu I have now. Similarly with the other demo AK380's I've played around in the shops. I think iRiver has fixed the problem properly on the AK380. I can't speak for the AK320 nor AK300 has I've not played with those enough however if their design is based off the AK380, I don't see why iRiver would reintroduce the issue onto those other models.

At least IMHO, I think you're safe from the volume issue with the AK3xx series.

May 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #5,335 of 9,041

@angelom
 , I know exactly the problem you're talking about the erratic volume dial on the AK240. I had the problem and Vinnie (RWA) helped to fix it when I RWAKed my AK240. I did not experience this problem on the demo AK380 I had nor with the AK380Cu I have now. Similarly with the other demo AK380's I've played around in the shops. I think iRiver has fixed the problem properly on the AK380. I can't speak for the AK320 nor AK300 has I've not played with those enough however if their design is based off the AK380, I don't see why iRiver would reintroduce the issue onto those other models.

Umm i dont see any word that is related to money in my reply..... he asked for something that matches his interests........

May 25, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #5,336 of 9,041
Found a used copper unit on Amazon, $3799...plus $5 shipping. Why would anyone buy that? I had a great week with my business, was tempted to order the damn thing (new)...

Figured with my wonderful Tralucent IEMS... Cant go wrong. Really tempting right now. If Tidal was working I doubt I could resist.

May 25, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #5,337 of 9,041
Found a used copper unit on Amazon, $3799...plus $5 shipping. Why would anyone buy that? I had a great week with my business, was tempted to order the damn thing (new)...

Figured with my wonderful Tralucent IEMS... Cant go wrong. Really tempting right now. If Tidal was working I doubt I could resist.

Go ahead...it's OK to live a little :grin:

May 25, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #5,339 of 9,041
Sign up for BuyDig.com promotions. They discount open box returns plus every month or so, they discount another 20% off open box prices if inventory hasn't sold. I once saw an AK240SS that would have been $1420 after the additional discount. Free shipping and not tax outside of NJ. Unfortunately, I don't think you get warranty on those.

May 25, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #5,340 of 9,041
Why dont you consider ak320? Still good storage, neat built that is meant precisly for your purpose ( not dsd native, big screen, friendly UI )

Hello Eroica4th.

Thank you for reply, but AnakChan is correct, it isn’t only the price I’m worry about.

@angelom , I know exactly the problem you're talking about the erratic volume dial on the AK240. I had the problem and Vinnie (RWA) helped to fix it when I RWAKed my AK240. I did not experience this problem on the demo AK380 I had nor with the AK380Cu I have now. Similarly with the other demo AK380's I've played around in the shops. I think iRiver has fixed the problem properly on the AK380. I can't speak for the AK320 nor AK300 has I've not played with those enough however if their design is based off the AK380, I don't see why iRiver would reintroduce the issue onto those other models.

Hello AnakChan. Thank you for useful reply.

I’m happy you understand exactly my problem with ak240 because I worry I didn’t explaining correctly. Yes, storage too is very important and this is why I choose ak240 first and now I want ak380 (I adding 128GB micro sd card too) and not other model.

You saying you have ak380 copper and not standard model. Is the difference in your opinion only the material in construction of this DAP or is difference also in sound quality and/or another things? The difference in price is $500 and if only the material of construction is the difference I think I choose regular model.

Thank you and/or other people for additional help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back