Astell&Kern AK380
May 26, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #5,356 of 9,041
@anakchan, just saw your post about not having your RWak240 anymore. So forget my questions above.

On a separate note and since the next top model won't be out until 2017, should we chime in here or in a new thread about what features we would like to see in the next AK totl model? Like 512g internal memory, oled screen, tidal, better amp section with RW type of components? Hopefully by then we will also have 512g memory card making the total storage to IT. And for me personally, I want to see a real limited edition like 100 total of a solid silver 480. A new digital out in addition to the optical out will be nice also. Improved adaptation of the AKM DAC, true gapless etc.

512 Gb, Oled, Tidal, better amp, better digital out, RWA components.... You named everything I expect In their next TOL DAP. :D

May I add a separate " real " fixed output Line out, and MQA ? And ROON ?

And why not... a "Titan édition" with 1Tb instead of 512 Gb. :wink:.

May 26, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #5,358 of 9,041
512 Gb, Oled, Tidal, better amp, better digital out, RWA components.... You named everything I expect In their next TOL DAP.
biggrin.gif

May I add a separate " real " fixed output Line out, and MQA ? And ROON ?

And why not... a "Titan édition" with 1Tb instead of 512 Gb.
wink.gif

Well 1Tb SSD will probably cost less than $200.00 by then.  The way silver is will cost another $200.00 for five to six ounces.  I don't mind to have a larger size for a better amp and battery than having to add another piece to it. While they are at it, they should throw in custom designs "Alp" volume control pot, true balance throughput with four independent mono channels, 2-3 watts output. The price will be $4,999.00. 
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #5,359 of 9,041
to complete your high ranked gears you will sooner or later add the ak380 cu to your arsenal, as I know that inner voice how it is

On that note is tidal being considered to be implemented by AK

You are right with your first statement. I hope you are correct with your second one.

I see no reason not to get the copper unit, unless you are concerned with it being copper, tarnishing, etc. $3499/3999, at that price point, it makes little difference. I'd imagine that if you have the disposable income for the regular unit, you could easily afford the copper unit. I'd much rather purchase the copper unit and not worry or feel as if I'm missing anything.

May 27, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #5,360 of 9,041
You are right with your first statement. I hope you are correct with your second one.

I see no reason not to get the copper unit, unless you are concerned with it being copper, tarnishing, etc. $3499/3999, at that price point, it makes little difference. I'd imagine that if you have the disposable income for the regular unit, you could easily afford the copper unit. I'd much rather purchase the copper unit and not worry or feel as if I'm missing anything.

yes its the polishing that would drive mad, and not the price

May 27, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #5,361 of 9,041
Hi, just want to share my opinion about AK380 copper edition, it's really beautiful and attractive much more than AK240 in gold color. But there are negative side:  easy to scratch and damadge. Couse copper is very soft metal, gunmetal much more durable.

May 27, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #5,362 of 9,041
Got my AK380 CU amp. Nothing can prepare you for how heavy the combination of AK380 CU + Amp CU is. It is an incredibly hefty thing. I don't intend to travel with the amplifier and I bought this to use at home with my LCD-3s, But if anyone were to consider using it for travel and thought they could put it in a coat pocket or something like that, it is likely to be uncomfortable or make your jacket/coat lean to one side!

I will comment on sound later as I am just letting it play on a loop for now to run-in.

Two observations so far
1) The copper colour of the amplifier is slightly different to the AK380 itself, and I don't mean due to tarnish....it is just slightly different (more golden). As the copper is very pure, I am not sure what that is down to other than a different coating polish/spray

2) When the charge is nearly full, I hear a rapid ticking noise coming from the amplifier if I put my ear near the unit

May 27, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #5,363 of 9,041
Thank you Jalo and AnakChan for the help you give me. Yesterday I order the AK380Cu. I will receiving it in one week more or less I think. I hoping the volume button is 100% working perfect for long time because I use this function very much.

I have one question. Is possible to transfer the playlists of my AK240 on the AK380? I have many playlists and it take long time for creating this playlists in ak240 and I have to do it 3 times because I have 3 different ak240 units. I don't wanting duplicate songs and I know my iTunes playlists isn't good for transfer because when I transfer later all albums I having many duplicates. I have MacBook Pro Retina if this is important information, not Windows.

May 27, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #5,364 of 9,041
Sorry I can't help you on transferring playlists as I have not done it before. May be others can chime in.

May 27, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #5,365 of 9,041
yep, one would think that the playlists would be in the folder called "Playlists" but that is not the case. I ended up just managing the playlists in iTunes and using an export tool to create M3U files which AK OS can easily read.

May 28, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #5,366 of 9,041
Sorry to bring back the copper maintainance topic but this might be helpful for those trying to prevent their units from tarnishing.

After cleaning my unit with copper tarnish remover, i rub bees wax on the unit and polish it using that. Works well to avoid it from tarnishing.

May 28, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #5,367 of 9,041
Sorry to bring back the copper maintainance topic but this might be helpful for those trying to prevent their units from tarnishing.

After cleaning my unit with copper tarnish remover, i rub bees wax on the unit and polish it using that. Works well to avoid it from tarnishing.

Interesting solution! Do you have any ideas though how to deal with the area around the volume dial? Once that starts tarnishing, short of finding a way to remove the volume knob, I can't see how to do anything about it.

May 28, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #5,368 of 9,041
Interesting solution! Do you have any ideas though how to deal with the area around the volume dial? Once that starts tarnishing, short of finding a way to remove the volume knob, I can't see how to do anything about it.

Use cotton buds maybe? To me, its not a big problem coz the areas that tend to tarnish most are those that are always in contact with the hands.

May 28, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #5,369 of 9,041
Has anyone had an issue where the AK380 CU would not sync or charge? I received mine two days ago, and it was able to sync to both a mac and PC. Yesterday, it stopped charging or syncing all together. I've tried a few different wall plugs and nothing. Has anyone come across this issue before?

May 28, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #5,370 of 9,041
  Has anyone had an issue where the AK380 CU would not sync or charge? I received mine two days ago, and it was able to sync to both a mac and PC. Yesterday, it stopped charging or syncing all together. I've tried a few different wall plugs and nothing. Has anyone come across this issue before?

No but seems to be that you need to RMA it back for repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back