Astell&Kern AK380
Apr 25, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #4,848 of 9,041
Finally got in contact with ak after filing a charge back, surprise surprise.... Anway they offered me a brand new one for my troubles.

I am still thinking of selling though. Ill let her go for $2200shipped. Thats a great deal i think.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #4,850 of 9,041

HI LouisArmstrong.

I did a 20-minute audition of the Ak380Cu last week and compared it directly with my AK240 side-by-side on the same song (unfortunately my SD card cannot be read by the 380).  I have repeatedly trying to find the "wow factor" as I was on the edge to take the plunge for the 380Cu (it looks gorgeous).  However, I can't really able to justify to pay for so much money only to gain a relatively marginally difference (or some say gain).  380Cu might be a bit richer in the mid and slightly more 3-D dimension, it does not excel in a way to make the AK240 obsolete...I just took a walk after the audition with a sense of disappointment.   I was using the Tralucent Audio Ref.1 (original version) with Tralucent Audio silver cable via single-ended connection for this audition session.

Cheers 

I haven't tried the Translucent, but my different earbuds scale differently with AK players. While my SE846 and Layla do not take a huge leap (I would say, a notable difference) from the AK240, my Noble Audio K-10 sounds almost totally different and definitely has the wow factor that you mentioned, once I connected it to the 380 Cu. Everyone's perception is different - AK380 did not make me pull the plunge (and I was lucky about that), but the AK380 Cu hit right on the spot and I bought it without a second thought. It is that good. Whether it is worth the money is of course a whole different story - it almost totally depends on where one's means and values are, so the view on this will be even more split. 

There are some people who bought the Cu just because it is the most expensive DAP on Planet Earth. We always hear the cliche - most expensive doesn't mean the best. Well, luckily, for those who bought it without trying -  it is indeed the best. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #4,851 of 9,041

I haven't tried the Translucent, but my different earbuds scale differently with AK players. While, for example, my SE846 and Layla do not take a huge leap (I would say, a notable difference) from the AK240, my Noble Audio K-10 sounds almost totally different and had the wow factor that you mentioned, once I connected it to the 380 Cu. Everyone's perception is different - AK380 did not make me pull the plunge (and I was lucky about that), but the AK380 Cu hit right on and I bought it without a second thought. It is that good. Whether it is worth the money is of course a whole different story - it almost totally depends on one's means so the view on this will be even more split. 

There are some people who bought the Cu just because it is the most expensive DAP on Planet Earth. We always hear the cliche - most expensive doesn't mean the best. Well, luckily, for those who bought it without trying -  it is indeed the best. 

Glad that you are enjoying your huge investment into the Cu.  It is the most gorgeous DAP or amongst all AK offerings.  

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #4,852 of 9,041
Finally got in contact with ak after filing a charge back, surprise surprise.... Anway they offered me a brand new one for my troubles.

I am still thinking of selling though. Ill let her go for $2200shipped. Thats a great deal i think.

$2200 for a faulty unit?  I'd be surprised.  Seems to me returning it for the new one, and then selling the unopened new one would get you a much better return on your money, and certainly better than selling someone a faulty unit.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #4,853 of 9,041

I think we need to take a step back and get more information from Chan007. Who did he buy the DAP from? Bricks 'n mortar store? Online? Directly from AK?

Next is how has he reached out to AK? I think we already know trying to reach out to AK via an internet forum or social networking media site is as good as sticking a piece of post it on a bulletin board asking for help from the manufacturer.

One should go back to where they bought their device from - if it's a retail store, then go back t here and make it their problem to reach out to the maker. Similarly if it's online then work out is it a legit approved site, or grey market.

Let's get some information first before pointing fault.

$2200 for a faulty unit?  I'd be surprised.

As per my previous posting, I'd like to see where Chan007 got his AK380 from, etc. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #4,854 of 9,041

As per my previous posting, I'd like to see where Chan007 got his AK380 from, etc. 

Oh, you mean the faulty 380 with the sketchy provenance? 
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #4,855 of 9,041

Oh, you mean the faulty 380 with the sketchy provenance? 
biggrin.gif

Well reflecting back to my previous post again, I'm not jumping to anything yet and need more information before any opinion can be made. i.e. Was the AK380 bought 2nd hand? Was it bought new? If it's new, where was it bought from? Grey market or legitimate distributor? If from legitimate distributor did the distributor handle the post sale support?

And finally I hope the $2200 is for the RMAed AK380 rather than the fault AK380 itself! Also I would have expected AK to demand back the faulty AK380 before giving out the replaced AK380.

In short, I'm urging folks wait/ask for more info before jumping to any conclusions.

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #4,856 of 9,041
Anyone have a black Dignis 380+amp black case for sale?

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #4,857 of 9,041
Just got this from aesopica:

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #4,860 of 9,041

Users who are viewing this thread

Back