Astell&Kern AK380
May 20, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #706 of 9,041
Speaking for Japan only that's not true, Sasaki-san did give his his impression too...but it's in Japanese :).

Actually I don't know if any other Head-Fier in Tokyo listened to the AK380. The queue was really long and advanced booking had to made first. I think each person is limited to only 5 mins too.

This photo was taken in the morning...it's allocation was already booked out to the EoD!!

May 20, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #707 of 9,041

I thought that the AK240SS is the AK240 MK2.

The SS price point is too close to the 380, so my thought is the SS will turn into a limited edition model and go away. 

May 20, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #708 of 9,041
That'd be interesting. Wonder if they would "upgrade" the 240?

It's likely there will be a mark II version of the 240 some time this year. The used market on 240s is likely going to crimp sales for A&K at the $2,500 price point; by releasing a new 240 some will opt for the enhanced capabilities instead of buying a used 240. I think going to the same AKM DACs as the 380 is the likely improvement. The expandability of the 380 is the key feature for its price point.

May 20, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #710 of 9,041
I've been traveling with the AK380 since Munich. I'm on the train to Rome with it now, using it with my JH Audio Roxanne (custom), and I've no doubt the AK380 is an improvement over my AK240. $1000 more? I'll give it more time, but a thousand bucks builds a long bridge to cross. I'll say more when I'm back home next week.

May 20, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #711 of 9,041
I've been traveling with the AK380 since Munich. I'm on the train to Rome with it now, using it with my JH Audio Roxanne (custom), and I've no doubt the AK380 is an improvement over my AK240. $1000 more? I'll give it more time, but a thousand bucks builds a long bridge to cross. I'll say more when I'm back home next week.

enjoy

i was wondering Jude do u ever discuss pricing strategies with manufacturers , maybe since you have big accessibility to manufatcures like AK could share some of our pricing objections , I know I do not speak for all head-fiers, but I am sure a big share of head-fiers share my opinion about their pricing

May 20, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #712 of 9,041
  To all the haters complaining how ridiculously expensive the AK380 is. I ask them to reconsider after comparing it to the Tera Player asking price of $3360 Euro and it's feature of no LCD display and only plays WAV files.

3360$

Except Tera Player is a genuine Europe product whereas "Astell & Kern" is an iRiver disguised as something European (or American). No offence to any product of any country - but it just seems unnecessary and inevitably leads one to think that it's just marketing cliché. I own even more ridiculously-priced hi-fi products but even when compared to those, I have to say AK is simply not worth it, especially when you compare its price deterioration rate with similarly priced or more expensive components in any decent audio system. If you are the kind of person who would buy a Vertu phone or an Apple Watch Edition, by all means go for it. I see the direction of AK is going to be like Bose or B&O more than anything else.

- Owner of AK240

May 20, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #713 of 9,041
Pricing is purely on demand and supply
very_evil_smiley.gif
Immaterial the cost of design and built or country of manufacture
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 20, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #714 of 9,041

Is it still prototype as mentioned before or this a released one?

Any more bug's encountered screen, ports, buttons, dials, software?

May 20, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #715 of 9,041
As long as people keep buying them at these prices, they are going to keep pushing the envelope and charge more.  Why wouldn't they.  The only way to get the message across is to stop buying them.

May 20, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #716 of 9,041

Jude, Good to hear you like the AK380 sound, but for me NO Qobuz = NO purchase !

--> Do you have any official infos about Qobuz or TIDAL implémentation in the AK380 ? .... And a 512 Gb version :wink: ?

I was very happy to meet you in Munich

Chers

May 20, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #717 of 9,041
I really do not understand all the fuss about the price of the AK 380,
that goes on and on, page after page.
Every company is free to ask for their products what they like, it's a luxury product after all.
I never see these discussions in the forums about high end watches or cars.
If you can't afford the Mercedes, move on and get the Volkswagen. 
Besides that there is enough choice if you wanna spend less money.
And I am actually amazed that there are so few questions about the possibilities the 380 has to offer,
like for instance the CD ripping in combination with the AK portable CD player.

May 20, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #718 of 9,041
  I really do not understand all the fuss about the price of the AK 380,
that goes on and on, page after page.
Every company is free to ask for their products what they like, it's a luxury product after all.
I never see these discussions in the forums about high end watches or cars.
If you can't afford the Mercedes, move on and get the Volkswagen. 
Besides that there is enough choice if you wanna spend less money.
And I am actually amazed that there are so few questions about the possibilities the 380 has to offer,

good for u that u like its price, u made me happy 

May 20, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #719 of 9,041

I have not said that Hykhaleif, don't twist my words!

May 20, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #720 of 9,041

That's intriguing a little, I wonder how they'll manage it. Will there be a proprietary app on the 380 that queries GD3 etc and tags the stuff automatically or such? Or if it'll allow manual tagging, or where the files should be stored and so on. Curious to see what solution they developed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back