Astell&Kern AK380
Jun 19, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #1,067 of 9,041
I'm a simple man and the UI is great for my needs. I still search by folder as I have various res in different places. Works great. I'm not saying it's the best thing out there but it's a friendly, musical and informative device. I can clearly hear the difference between proper 24/96 vs 24/192 or the difference between various vst dither plugins so it can't be so bad.

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #1,068 of 9,041
I have to respectfully disagree with you. What he says has merit. Please show me one case where someone said the Ak100 is better or on par with the ak120, where the AK240 is on par or better than the AK240SS, where the ak120ii is better or on par with the AK240... Actually if you search my name, I'm on of the very few that admits I hear no differobetween the ak120ii and AK240. I'm the rare exception. What he posted is generally true. It could be true because all.of the newer devices are better, or that people want them to be better, or a combination of both.

I agree with you. The AK120ii and AK240 is almost indistinguishable.. very very hard to tell them apart. I almost went with AK120ii but there is just one moment that I felt Ak240 soundstage was wider and I suspect its my brain playing tricks trying to justify the AK240 simply because I want the larger capacity.

If the AK240ii has the same capacity, I would go for it instead of AK240.

I also search the net and notice this trend too... almost all 99% out there would almost always say the more expensive version sound better almost all the time. Except for one here like Steve from enjoy the music... but he too sound apologetic that the ZX2 sounded better than Ak240..

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #1,069 of 9,041
I have to respectfully disagree with you. What he says has merit. Please show me one case where someone said the Ak100 is better or on par with the ak120, where the AK240 is on par or better than the AK240SS, where the ak120ii is better or on par with the AK240... Actually if you search my name, I'm on of the very few that admits I hear no differobetween the ak120ii and AK240. I'm the rare exception. What he posted is generally true. It could be true because all.of the newer devices are better, or that people want them to be better, or a combination of both.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Simply put, i) I doubt newer AK models would be worse, but I do agree they aren't necessarily better and ii) when I said "I'm trying to see", it's more like "I wish to see". AK380 is a huge investment after all (not like AK240 wasn't already), so personally I would love to see people saying AK380 sounds pretty much the same as AK240.

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #1,070 of 9,041
The only way to potentially guarantee new and improved sound quality is to introduce a new and improved format (MQS in the first instance for this thread) whilst staying with the same manufacturer... After a certain point the technical specifications mean nothing (137db SNR vs 138db SNR let's say, what real world difference is that?)

Other than that, you've got differences in tonality / tuning, which may appeal to some, whereas the older style / unit / model / firmware may be better to others...

This class of DAP is very much at the zenith of where we can be, and if the very minute technical differences escape you then why upgrade??

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #1,071 of 9,041
The only way to potentially guarantee new and improved sound quality is to introduce a new and improved format (MQS in the first instance for this thread) whilst staying with the same manufacturer... After a certain point the technical specifications mean nothing (137db SNR vs 138db SNR let's say, what real world difference is that?)

Other than that, you've got differences in tonality / tuning, which may appeal to some, whereas the older style / unit / model / firmware may be better to others...

This class of DAP is very much at the zenith of where we can be, and if the very minute technical differences escape you then why upgrade??
Well some components like the Hugo still sound better, at least some people think so. So DAPs still have some room for improvement. I should copyright Anakchan on this line of thought, but quite agree.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #1,072 of 9,041
Well some components like the Hugo still sound better, at least some people think so. So DAPs still have some room for improvement. I should copyright Anakchan on this line of thought, but quite agree.
agreed, although case in point that uses a proprietary system (FPGA) and it truly scares me to think how much a DAP would cost if it had that on board.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #1,073 of 9,041
agreed, although case in point that uses a proprietary system (FPGA) and it truly scares me to think how much a DAP would cost if it had that on board.

I actually think that the reason why portable components win out over DAPs is the dedicated& isolated power it gets to feed into the amp, and separately to the DAC. If designer of a DAP can provide isolation, and sufficiently clean oomph behind each component circuitry (and especially separate to driving the UI/player), then we may have a DAP that can challenge current components. However by that time, it'll probably a ridiculously large DAP.

In short, I don't think the differences we're hearing is the kind of DAC/Amp, but more the implementation.

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #1,075 of 9,041
I actually think that the reason why portable components win out over DAPs is the dedicated& isolated power it gets to feed into the amp, and separately to the DAC. If designer of a DAP can provide isolation, and sufficiently clean oomph behind each component circuitry (and especially separate to driving the UI/player), then we may have a DAP that can challenge current components. However by that time, it'll probably a ridiculously large DAP.

In short, I don't think the differences we're hearing is the kind of DAC/Amp, but more the implementation.

I will not care having a ONE PIECE "ridiculously large DAP" if this can replace my HUGO + A&K + cumbersone interconnect cables :) (plus sometime an additional Amp and some microSD to swap ! )

This will avoid me to carry a ridiculously large system plus several Chargers, cables and microSDs.... !

So, I am OK for a DAP Twice the volume of the HUGO IF if is really a complete "all in one" transportable DAP capable of desktop SQ with power to drive corectly Orthos.

I am more than happy to trade pocketability for "desktop SQ" + LARGE Screen, LARGE battery, a full size SD, at least 1To SSD and a digital-out + a"real" Line out to drive my desktop DAC or my tube Amp .... when I am in my listening room ( this will even save me buying a desktop music server :)

This is my "dream transportable DAP". ( I have NO intention to carry it in my pocket while walking ! i am too old for this :wink: )

I Just want to have it with me when I travel or when I rest in the garden or go in another room than my dedicated listening room

Jun 21, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #1,076 of 9,041
I will not care having a ONE PIECE "ridiculously large DAP" if this can replace my HUGO + A&K + cumbersone interconnect cables :) (plus sometime an additional Amp and some microSD to swap ! )

This will avoid me to carry a ridiculously large system plus several Chargers, cables and microSDs.... !

So, I am OK for a DAP Twice the volume of the HUGO IF if is really a complete "all in one" transportable DAP capable of desktop SQ with power to drive corectly Orthos.

I am more than happy to trade pocketability for "desktop SQ" + LARGE Screen, LARGE battery, a full size SD, at least 1To SSD and a digital-out + a"real" Line out to drive my desktop DAC or my tube Amp .... when I am in my listening room ( this will even save me buying a desktop music server :)

This is my "dream transportable DAP". ( I have NO intention to carry it in my pocket while walking ! i am too old for this :wink: )

I Just want to have it with me when I travel or when I rest in the garden or go in another room than my dedicated listening room

Mmmm.......iRiver to @bmichels: ahhh......the total for that, sir, is USD 17,500.00 plus S & H. Would you like the box with a ribbon? It is free of charge............all-in-one, end-all,be-all is not my thing. i like the flexibility of swapping/pairing DAP and amp/dacs. It is part of what makes this hobby so pleasurable. Google is working on a transformer smartphone. Individual components can be replaced or upgraded as needed or wanted. Better camera module? Unplug the old one and plug the new one, etchetera. The advantages are obvious....and can serve as a template to a futuristic super-DAP.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #1,078 of 9,041

I generally agree with each of you on your points.  I have the AK 240 running 1.15 and the Cord Hugo with the JH Layla's and it sounds quite good with some tweaks with the EQ settings.  I'm actually hoping with the new AK 380 that AK will provide a little custom choice built in their EQ. settings similar to what they did with their headphones for the JH Layla IEM's.  With a 20 band parametric equalizer it will be better in general but most folks are not sound engineers and with custom settings for the Layla's coming directly from the manufacture they may save time and really benefit with a base reference sound.  Then folks can twiddle from that point of reference if they want.  From my point of view, I'm debating if the AK380 (physically) is really portable or "transportable" (based on my commute) and if the sound is really improved to the point where I would benefit more with keeping Hugo or not.  Comments please gentlemen.
Sincerely,
-Speed 

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #1,079 of 9,041

I generally agree with each of you on your points.  I have the AK 240 running 1.15 and the Cord Hugo with the JH Layla's and it sounds quite good with some tweaks with the EQ settings.  I'm actually hoping with the new AK 380 that AK will provide a little custom choice built in their EQ. settings similar to what they did with their headphones for the JH Layla IEM's.  With a 20 band parametric equalizer it will be better in general but most folks are not sound engineers and with custom settings for the Layla's coming directly from the manufacture they may save time and really benefit with a base reference sound.  Then folks can twiddle from that point of reference if they want.  From my point of view, I'm debating if the AK380 (physically) is really portable or "transportable" (based on my commute) and if the sound is really improved to the point where I would benefit more with keeping Hugo or not.  Comments please gentlemen.
Sincerely,
-Speed 

The only issue with factory customized EQ settings for the different A&K branded headphones/IEMs is that one cannot see the response curve when they are employed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back