Astell&Kern AK380
Jun 19, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #1,051 of 9,041
My 380 is undergoing burn-in at the moment - whatever that actually means. Out of the box observations:

The larger display is worth it alone for me - improved layout and a joy to use. Found the 240 too fiddly and impractical for searches etc. Navigation is quick and slick and the layout of the menus has been improved. There is also an album tiling feature allowing very quick visual navigation of your collection via clipart (3x4 on screen at any one time). 

The LCD display is black when switched off (versus grey on the OLED) - but contrast when on isn't quite as good - but hard to notice unless you do a side by side. Colour temp is noticeably cooler though on the 380
The micro-sd slot is very fiddly on the 380 - likely because its out edge is at an angle. Took me literally 1 minute to seat the card successfully.
The new case is shiny and brown - not such a big fan - but the fit is immaculate as we have come to expect
Volume calibration is different and threw me at first. Comfortable listening for me is around 85 to 100 whereas on the 240 it was 45 to 55. Max level increases from 75 (240) to 150 (380). 

Sound Q ? Well out of the box, I struggled to hear a difference between the 380 and 240 on DSD and ie800s and Laylas (a new set also burning in). Will perform a more critical comparison this weekend.

So the 380 is lcd vs oled on the 240? That's a step backward... besides oled should be absolutely black due to absence of backlight..sure it's not the reverse?

SQ sounds disappointing but will wait until you run it in... IMHO you tend to hear the main character early and gets better (or from good to better and not bad to good...)

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #1,052 of 9,041
Jun 19, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #1,053 of 9,041

+1

Since moving to Hong Kong space is very limited at home even though I pay 3 times more than back in UK!!  I have nowhere to put a desktop solution and with young family most my listening is on commute to work or while at work.  So has to be portable for me.   Happy at moment with 240 but will try 380 in near future and if sound quality better, more to my liking, or whatever tick needed to justify the purchase I will consider the upgrade.

Same for me.  There's so much time spent walking and on public transportation the portable solutions make so much more sense.  My home stereo is probably 50/50 in terms of usage with my portable rig.  

Jun 19, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #1,054 of 9,041
  Bought a 380 at HK airport several days ago, out of stock in everywhere else.
The sound is obviously better than AK240. I was using 240 + IE800, it seems 240 could not control the highs very well on IE 800. Then my AK240 was out of order without a notice, it stuck at the spinning letter A forever.
So I got the AK380 and I love it very much. I plugged my SD card in AK380 (which i used in 240) and nothing happened. the SD card is fine since I can use it in AK120. I am not sure if the SD card slot broken on my 380? Oh my~ the quality!

anyway, the sound is good and i am enjoying it. i will check the sd card slot when i have time.

Hi Cranesky - Did they have a demo unit available?  (I fly back to Europe on holiday next week and may need to leave home a bit earlier for a trial listen :) )

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #1,056 of 9,041
So the 380 is lcd vs oled on the 240? That's a step backward... besides oled should be absolutely black due to absence of backlight..sure it's not the reverse?

SQ sounds disappointing but will wait until you run it in... IMHO you tend to hear the main character early and gets better (or from good to better and not bad to good...)

Looks like a TFT on the 380. When off, the TFT screen is black, versus the 240 OLED which looks silver and more reflective (when off). When on, the OLED blacks are inky, and contrast is crazy - the TFT is behind, but not by far.
Frankly, the increased sized and therefore usability without making fat finger mistakes (so naming playlists and alphanumeric searches is now easy) - forgives the use of TFT for me at least.

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #1,057 of 9,041
  Yeah sorry, I took my kid to the pool instead...priorities :D

Nothing beats the importance of rushing for the "better than ultimate"! Just kidding, of course family comes first. :)

Sound Q ? Well out of the box, I struggled to hear a difference between the 380 and 240 on DSD and ie800s and Laylas (a new set also burning in). Will perform a more critical comparison this weekend.

That's interesting, I'm seeing most reviews saying AK380 should sound "apparently better" than AK240. I'm just curious how it compares to v1.15 AK240 - I know AnakChan said that AK240SS was better than v1.15 AK240 and AK380 was better than AK240SS, so with that logic AK380 >> v1.15 AK240, but I'm keeping my doubt. :wink: Really need to find a chance to demo AK380 myself.

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #1,058 of 9,041
When someone pays that much money  to upgrade, do you really think they are going to say the older one is better?  If a reviewer said that, they wouldn't get samples to review anymore.  When the AK380II and the AK380 Super Stainless Steel II come out 6 months later, I will go out on a limb and say that most reviewers will say it is better than the AK380.  Just a hunch.

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #1,059 of 9,041

Looks like a TFT on the 380. When off, the TFT screen is black, versus the 240 OLED which looks silver and more reflective (when off). When on, the OLED blacks are inky, and contrast is crazy - the TFT is behind, but not by far.
Frankly, the increased sized and therefore usability without making fat finger mistakes (so naming playlists and alphanumeric searches is now easy) - forgives the use of TFT for me at least.

OLED is superior to LCD - scratching my head why they would go back to LCD on something that costs $1000 more. OLED should not look silver/grey.  I have the new S6 Edge is the screen is fantastic so have to say again this seems like going backwards.

Though I suspect I know why... Battery time... OLEDs suck more juice...

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #1,060 of 9,041
Thanks for the link. Interesting review. I like the one part where Steve says if you forget the fact that you can't stream and the battery isn't near as good (adlibbed), this clearly beats the Sony zx2. I really find that hilarious. Poor AK240 owners, bested by zx2 and dethroned by its new better sibling.

We all have preferences, including reviewers. Your's may be different. For instance Steve's reference IEM is a K10 which is great but he uses it with an aftermarket cable to compare to other offerings with stock cable. I trust he hears what he hears and may always like the K10 regardless of cable but it's not entirely fair and what associated kit he chose that voicing on can also slightly move a DAP preference. There's a lot of relativity at this end of the market but it's nice to have his among other opinions to weigh against each other.
beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,061 of 9,041
I agree, and it wasn't meant on a knock on Steve. I enjoy his reviews very much, it was his that persuaded me to order a zx2 while owning an AK240. I just find it funny that for $3800 you still have to have compromises to "beat" a $1200 device.

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #1,062 of 9,041
  When someone pays that much money  to upgrade, do you really think they are going to say the older one is better?  If a reviewer said that, they wouldn't get samples to review anymore.  When the AK380II and the AK380 Super Stainless Steel II come out 6 months later, I will go out on a limb and say that most reviewers will say it is better than the AK380.  Just a hunch.

That's like saying "reviews are sponsored advertisements and forums are all about people trying to feel good for what they paid". While I do agree those factors do impact reviews to a certain degree, that's a huge dismissal you made there. In all fairness to AK, I highly doubt the newer model will be worse than previous ones per se, but I'm trying to see if there is a significant number of reviews indicating that AK380 is "more or less the same as AK240" or "slightly better than AK240 that I can barely tell". Btw, by reviews I mean from both professional reviewers and regular users.

Jun 19, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #1,063 of 9,041
That's like saying "reviews are sponsored advertisements and forums are all about people trying to feel good for what they paid". While I do agree those factors do impact reviews to a certain degree, that's a huge dismissal you made there. In all fairness to AK, I highly doubt the newer model will be worse than previous ones per se, but I'm trying to see if there is a significant number of reviews indicating that AK380 is "more or less the same as AK240" or "slightly better than AK240 that I can barely tell". Btw, by reviews I mean from both professional reviewers and regular users.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. What he says has merit. Please show me one case where someone said the Ak100 is better or on par with the ak120, where the AK240 is on par or better than the AK240SS, where the ak120ii is better or on par with the AK240... Actually if you search my name, I'm on of the very few that admits I hear no differobetween the ak120ii and AK240. I'm the rare exception. What he posted is generally true. It could be true because all.of the newer devices are better, or that people want them to be better, or a combination of both.

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,064 of 9,041
I agree but I prefer my ak120 to a new ak100II and I think it competes well enough with the 120ii though a different sig. It has been said that some prefer the AK100mk2 to the AK120 but I have both and strongly disagree. I'm also one of those that think all the newer model's sonics advance by price. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #1,065 of 9,041
i think the Titan 120 is the sweet spot of all of the AK designs....i have a 240 as well but the fact that the Titan has 2 card slots gives it more capacity and makes it the perfect model to use with my Chord Hugo or at the gym.....the size is great as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back