Astell&Kern AK380
May 10, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #5,191 of 9,041

The Andre Previn DVD audio I have ripped to 24/48 and have excellent dynamics and sq, very hifi with very good interpretation imho. The Decca Zubin Metha interpretation is the one I like best, only have LP at the moment and looking for a good cd issue.

Thanks....
ksc75smile.gif

May 10, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #5,193 of 9,041
  Gentelman, please go to http://www.head-fi.org/f/9/music  to discuss music. It's AK380 thread so please stay within topic. Thanks.

It was music that sounds fantastic specifically on the CU stack which is a 380 I believe.

Just as which metal cleaner is specifically good on cleaning the CU..........

May 10, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #5,194 of 9,041
  Gentelman, please go to http://www.head-fi.org/f/9/music  to discuss music. It's AK380 thread so please stay within topic. Thanks.

If you were referring to the few posts above where 1-2 albums were posted its a little uncalled for.

If it were pages over pages I'd understand. Just scroll past them.

May 10, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #5,195 of 9,041
Heheh! Spkrs01 and H20, I agree: the idea behind having excellent gear is the enjoyment of music. Not just to marvel at the technological wonders of the gear and how we can hear pins dropping in the back of the recording studio. :hugging:

May 10, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #5,196 of 9,041
  Classical music sounds so so good on the Cu stack............

Totally immersive performance in 24-96!!!

Listening to this all morning, what a dynamic roller coaster!

Shame music is not discussed here more 
confused_face_2.gif

you know I really do not know whether in the 80s I was so differnet or had better ears or what , but I used to enjoy all music of the 80 and had great joy listening to my cassette tapes, from bands like queen, prince, europe, scorpions , depeche mode and many others

Now when I listen to the digital recordings in whatever dam format it is, I honestly can not listen more than few minutes and turn it off due to bad quality recordings in those formats

I do not know what changed really, but i used to have such a joy listening to those bands in the 80s and now I can not stand those bands recordings  anymore

what is more strange to me, when i watch a movie and they have in the movie a song from the eighties and I watch it at home at my home stereo, the song sounds so dam good, for example i was watching a movie and it was the song who wants to live forever by queen and in the movie it sounded amazing on my home system, while in the flac format album it sounds awful

May 10, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #5,197 of 9,041
  you know I really do not know whether in the 80s I was so differnet or had better ears or what , but I used to enjoy all music of the 80 and had great joy listening to my cassette tapes, from bands like queen, prince, europe, scorpions , depeche mode and many others

Now when I listen to the digital recordings in whatever dam format it is, I honestly can not listen more than few minutes and turn it off due to bad quality recordings in those formats

I do not know what changed really, but i used to have such a joy listening to those bands in the 80s and now I can not stand those bands recordings  anymore

what is more strange to me, when i watch a movie and they have in the movie a song from the eighties and I watch it at home at my home stereo, the song sounds so dam good, for example i was watching a movie and it was the song who wants to live forever by queen and in the movie it sounded amazing on my home system, while in the flac format album it sounds awful

Same here.  Those songs from the 70s & 80s, IMHO, were from a lot of genius artists and unlike today's mostly idolized music industry.

Unfortunately, not too many recordings in those old days are of superb quality (I mean pop music) and you'd find a lot of songs are highly compressed with drums like you knock on your own tummy LOL.  

Recently I skewed my focus to analogue and now having two Sony Walkmans under refurbishment (Sony Walkman DC2; Sony Walkman D3) and bringing back the analogue system back to life (see my profile).  I"ve found some of the digital version of the old recordings are better to our ears as it has been artificially tuned when doing the digital mastering.  However, the current digital, regardless of how high end that you are, just simply cannot replicate the smoothness of analogue reproduction.  Especially when some analogue releases have never been converted into digital, we'd just simply enjoy whatever the joy music brings.

May 11, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #5,198 of 9,041
And now one could have 512GB in the AK380 (& AK240). Samsung's just announced their 256GB Evo+ MicroSD for approx $250.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/samsung-just-made-it-easier-than-ever-to-misplace-256gb-1775819631

May 11, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #5,199 of 9,041
  And now one could have 512GB in the AK380 (& AK240). Samsung's just announced their 256GB Evo+ MicroSD for approx $250.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/samsung-just-made-it-easier-than-ever-to-misplace-256gb-1775819631

Any insight on to how fast the AK380 will index a maximum-capacity library?

Say, ~10,000 files and about 400 GB of data?

I'm tired of all the unfinished, unpolished, half-assed players that keep getting released and wind up either being unstable or are missing one critical feature.  If the indexing is fast enough, so I don't have to resort to folder-browsing, I might just be able to make the AK380 work (both as a player and a transport) for me and cease waiting for someone to do a dual-slot card player properly.

May 11, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #5,200 of 9,041

I'm tired of all the unfinished, unpolished, half-assed players that keep getting released and wind up either being unstable or are missing one critical feature.  If the indexing is fast enough, so I don't have to resort to folder-browsing, I might just be able to make the AK380 work (both as a player and a transport) for me and cease waiting for someone to do a dual-slot card player properly.

I think that issue is common with a lot of Android-based devices. Their databases would depend on how fast Android can access/read/process the files in the filesystem. Also for most (but not all DAPs) there's a lot of focus on what DAC chip/Amp chip, etc. however bottom line they're just mini computers but most makers don't mention what sort of CPU/memory they have.

May 11, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #5,201 of 9,041

I think that issue is common with a lot of Android-based devices. Their databases would depend on how fast Android can access/read/process the files in the filesystem. Also for most (but not all DAPs) there's a lot of focus on what DAC chip/Amp chip, etc. however bottom line they're just mini computers but most makers don't mention what sort of CPU/memory they have.

Sure ...

I'm just trying to get an idea of how fast the AK380 indexes files.  It seems unduly hard to get an answer to that question (which doesn't inspire confidence that the answer is something tenable).  Even an idea of how big someone's existing library (size in GB and number of files) and the time it takes to index them would be great to know.

I really don't want to buy one and wind up having to return it just to see how long it takes to index a library.

May 11, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #5,202 of 9,041

It is actually quite fast. My internal memory is fully utilized and I also have a full 200 gig card...whenever the card is changed with songs added and deleted it is read in less than a minute. 

However, I do prefer folder browsing as I have four sub catergories, DSD, Hi Rez, Redbook, Chinese Music

May 11, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #5,203 of 9,041

It is actually quite fast. My internal memory is fully utilized and I also have a full 200 gig card...whenever the card is changed with songs added and deleted it is read in less than a minute. 

However, I do prefer folder browsing as I have four sub catergories, DSD, Hi Rez, Redbook, Chinese Music

Thanks!

About how many files do you have on the unit/card?

May 11, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #5,204 of 9,041

Same here.

May 11, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #5,205 of 9,041

Thanks!

About how many files do you have on the unit/card?

It just says 4667 files (songs) that I recently added, which I'd imagine is my SD card as I corrupted the card this weekend and reformatted and inserted back into the 380.  These are mainly Redbook files.

And on the internal memory probably only around 2000 files (songs) as they are mainly DSD or Hi HiRez files I keep there........

So conservatively 6500 files........all with cover art as a .jpg, plus alot of .pdf files in the folder.

Hope this helps
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back