Astell&Kern AK380
May 7, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #5,161 of 9,041
I'm in the same boat. I've owned several AK daps, loved them all. Last one was the AK240. I had the ak120ii, but knew I wanted the AK240, as much as I loved it's sibling. This would drive me crazy. Financially, stick with your stack. I'm sure it sounds very good... To my ears, I doubt I'd hear a difference, and if I did I know it wouldn't justify the price increase. Again, it would drive me crazy knowing there is something "better", especially if I can afford it.

Well the 380cu sounds different enough from my 240ss that I did not regret a bit of getting it. I am still keeping the 240ss for its beauty and quicker and cleaner sound signature. In fact, I am tempted to add the Lotoo Paw Gold to my stable after hearing it for the first time. the only thing that is keeping my from doing that is its stupid UI, how do you search through hundred of files with just one folder system and with a tiny screen?

The cu is truly a thing of beauty and everytime I have it in my hand I have a sense of substance and satisfaction. I think the blue/black carbon fiber matches the copper perfectly. I am happy to learn that there will be no TOTL from AK before 2017, that means I have at least a year of enjoyment before I feel being outdated. Besides I probably won't upgrade to their first version anyway (Duralium) as I felt their second offerings (240ss, 380cu) are always better aesthetically and sonically than their first offering. So it is SS, CU, and if AK can come up with a solid Silver for their next AK 520 with 512g I will be very happy and then the next one of course should be solid gold:D

I wish AK do not speak from both sides of their mouth so frequently. For instance on their website on one hand they keep saying how the SS version sounds better because of better grounding, and the CU sounds better because of its high conductivity etc, and then at shows on the other hand telling customers that there is no sound difference between the models. Or that the SS is supposed to be limited production but is still producing after over a full year, and the CU is limited to 500 units, and the black 380 is limited to 180 units but seems to be selling much more than that according to some retailer. Credibility does mean something.

May 7, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #5,162 of 9,041
Well the 380cu sounds different enough from my 240ss that I did not regret a bit of getting it. I am still keeping the 240ss for its beauty and quicker and cleaner sound signature. In fact, I am tempted to add the Lotoo Paw Gold to my stable after hearing it for the first time. the only thing that is keeping my from doing that is its stupid UI, how do you search through hundred of files with just one folder system and with a tiny screen?

The cu is truly a thing of beauty and everytime I have it in my hand I have a sense of substance and satisfaction. I think the blue/black carbon fiber matches the copper perfectly. I am happy to learn that there will be no TOTL from AK before 2017, that means I have at least a year of enjoyment before I feel being outdated. Besides I probably won't upgrade to their first version anyway (Duralium) as I felt their second offerings (240ss, 380cu) are always better aesthetically and sonically than their first offering. So it is SS, CU, and if AK can come up with a solid Silver for their next AK 520 with 512g I will be very happy and then the next one of course should be solid gold:D

I wish AK do not speak from both sides of their mouth so frequently. For instance on their website on one hand they keep saying how the SS version sounds better because of better grounding, and the CU sounds better because of its high conductivity etc, and then at shows on the other hand telling customers that there is no sound difference between the models. Or that the SS is supposed to be limited production but is still producing after over a full year, and the CU is limited to 500 units, and the black 380 is limited to 180 units but seems to be selling much more than that according to some retailer. Credibility does mean something.

Well said. The fact that AK makes special edition colors/logos for the Asian market indicates that fidelity is not their #1 priority. They are basically doing a test market with the "limited edition" black AK380 for the US. I appreciate everyone's impressions of the Cu, but I am still skeptical and will absolutely not buy before I give it a thoroughly listen.

May 7, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #5,163 of 9,041
Jalo I agree about the LPG, it would have been a no brainer... But no search? Absolutely horrible. I don't know how they did that. Other than that, I absolutely love the LPG. I even like the display with the meters.

bflat I agree I'm very skeptical as well. I'm fairly certain my ears won't hear a difference. I couldn't tell a difference between the ak100ii and the AK240, so should give you an idea of how good my ears are. :wink:

May 7, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #5,164 of 9,041
Well said. The fact that AK makes special edition colors/logos for the Asian market indicates that fidelity is not their #1 priority. They are basically doing a test market with the "limited edition" black AK380 for the US. I appreciate everyone's impressions of the Cu, but I am still skeptical and will absolutely not buy before I give it a thoroughly listen.

AK products MIA here in the US/EU market:

AK Jr Red
AK Jr Super Jr Blue
AK100 Red
AK100 Blue
AK100 Gold
AK100 Red Wine (Pink)
AK100II Green
AK100II K-On!
AK240 Gold
AK10 LoveLive! (All 10 of them)
Most MQS Albums in microSD

I am pretty sure I am still missing more...

May 7, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #5,166 of 9,041
Well, if #8 horse Lani wins the Kentucky Derby, I may be in for a Cu.

Update - not even close. I think it's a sign.

May 7, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #5,167 of 9,041
I love my LPG's form factor, size and of course the amazing SQ and like what everyone is saying the UI is dated but I can live with it......I only tried ak380 not the cu version....couldn't justify the price difference maybe the cu version with amp definitely better.....

May 7, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #5,168 of 9,041
I love my LPG's form factor, size and of course the amazing SQ and like what everyone is saying the UI is dated but I can live with it......I only tried ak380 not the cu version....couldn't justify the price difference maybe the cu version with amp definitely better.....

Heheh! Well, I wouldn't quite say the UI is dated. It just takes a different path from the Android or iOS GUI. :)

May 7, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #5,170 of 9,041
Patiently waiting for my copper unit.. The wait is excruciating.

Everytime i take out my LPG out in public, i feel like everyone thinks its one of those old nokia phones. Well at least for now I won't have to keep polishing the gold knobs on my LPG. Haha

May 7, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #5,174 of 9,041
Well I think I have used the wrong word should be more like the UI including whole package gives a unique personality to the LPG player....

Also on a plus side it doesn't require regular polishing:D:

Curious to know how far behind the LPG is from the cu version or any major differences in sound signature!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back