Astell&Kern AK380
May 7, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #5,146 of 9,041
i just found the Brasso doesn't work on polishing my Cu, am I using the wrong polisher??
confused.gif

May 7, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #5,148 of 9,041
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso

U sure?:joy:

May 7, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #5,149 of 9,041
Apologize, maybe they have for copper.

Used to use Brasso for Brass only..
Hence its brand name.

There is a good metal polish from Pledge actually which works really well..

Good luck polishing mate

:)

May 7, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #5,150 of 9,041
  i just found the Brasso doesn't work on polishing my Cu, am I using the wrong polisher??
confused.gif

Mmm...there are some metal polish brands (for copper as well) that is not strong enough to clean-up  Example is Parker & Bailey Brass and Copper polish. . My preferred brand is S.C. Johnson Pledge metal polish that works exceedingly well. A small can cost only USD 3.50 here in Manila.

May 7, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #5,152 of 9,041
Hey guys! I just purchased the ak380cu but it'll take a week to get here. I already have the LPG. I now have way too many players and i need some advice. Haha

Thinking if i should
A.) sell the LPG and get a hugo
B.) sell the LPG and keep the money
C.) keep both LPG and ak380cu
D.) sell the LPG and get an ak cu amp

I already have the mojo. Using iems. Mostly my a12.

Personally, I would go for D and have a nice and tidy stack....and/or sell the Mojo and keep the LPG for redbook..............

May 7, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #5,153 of 9,041
Sorry but what is LPG ?

May 7, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #5,154 of 9,041
May 7, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #5,155 of 9,041
The polishing comments are a bit confusing to me. I thought AK puts some coating on the Cu. Since metal polishes are usually mild abrasives, won't that just remove the coating?

May 7, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #5,156 of 9,041
Mmm...it is in the manual. The coating is not permanent. Eventually, it will wear off and the copper chassis will be subject to tarnishing, which is normal for pure copper. It is unavoidable. I did not use copper polish until the tarnishing became bothersome or irritating to look at.

May 7, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #5,157 of 9,041
  Mmm...it is in the manual. The coating is not permanent. Eventually, it will wear off and the copper chassis will be subject to tarnishing, which is normal for pure copper. It is unavoidable. I did not use copper polish until the tarnishing became bothersome or irritating to look at.

Thanks for the explanation. This rules me out of getting the Cu. Price was going to be a real hard decision, but I already obsess enough with the bass dials on my Laylas. I don't need another point of OCD of keeping my DAP polished. I suppose if I had servants this wouldn't be an issue, but alas I have to do my own laundry.

May 7, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #5,158 of 9,041
Lol. bflat Do you own the AK380 or are you considering adding that?

I'm fearful of purchasing the regular ak380 and having that horrible feeling that I'm missing out. For me, it's AK380cu or nothing. I've been tempted to purchase the AK380, I just know I will obsess over the copper device, it will drive me mad, and I'll eventually sell the AK380 at a loss.

May 7, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #5,159 of 9,041
Lol. @bflat Do you own the AK380 or are you considering adding that?

I'm fearful of purchasing the regular ak380 and having that horrible feeling that I'm missing out. For me, it's AK380cu or nothing. I've been tempted to purchase the AK380, I just know I will obsess over the copper device, it will drive me mad, and I'll eventually sell the AK380 at a loss.

Excellent point! I currently don't have any AK DAPs. My last one was AK240 and I did audition AK380 and did not think it was enough difference to warrant the extra cost. But it was also when I had K10s and now I have Laylas so I was planning to do another audition at the upcoming meet in SF. Maybe I should just stick with what I have - Onkyo DP-X1 and ALO CDM stack. I just wish it was smaller and in a nice single package like the AK380.

May 7, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #5,160 of 9,041
I'm in the same boat. I've owned several AK daps, loved them all. Last one was the AK240. I had the ak120ii, but knew I wanted the AK240, as much as I loved it's sibling. This would drive me crazy. Financially, stick with your stack. I'm sure it sounds very good... To my ears, I doubt I'd hear a difference, and if I did I know it wouldn't justify the price increase. Again, it would drive me crazy knowing there is something "better", especially if I can afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back