Astell&Kern AK380
May 13, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #272 of 9,041
Studio sound, as in a flat signature?

I personally no longer place much value in terms such as "studio sound", "studio reference", "studio monitor", etc in adverts :wink:.

Anyway in short, no change in terms of functionality from a capacity perspective. Although screen size is larger, the resolution is still the same. I welcome the AKM4490 DAC, the diet compared to the AK240SS but still heavier than the AK240, and also the 30ps jitter. I'm a little undecided about the increase in THD+N/IMD. And disappointed that it's still 2.5mm TRRS even if they're coming out with their own plug.

May 13, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #273 of 9,041

I personally no longer place much value in terms such as "studio sound", "studio reference", "studio monitor", etc in adverts :wink:.

Anyway in short, no change in terms of functionality from a capacity perspective. Although screen size is larger, the resolution is still the same. I welcome the AKM4490 DAC, the diet compared to the AK240SS but still heavier than the AK240, and also the 30ps jitter. I'm a little undecided about the increase in THD+N/IMD. And disappointed that it's still 2.5mm TRRS even if they're coming out with their own plug.

Which part does it say it has studio sound?
I'm interested in it. I'm looking for reference quality sound rather than colored audiophile sound.
I'm a music producer / engineer. I would avoid colored-sounding headphones and DAPs.

May 13, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #275 of 9,041

More high resolution pics from iriver.jp for your eyegasm. 

This is how it looks like in someone's (@Sasaki-san's) hands :-

Sasaki-san's blog about it :-

http://vaiopocket.seesaa.net/article/418862472.html

A lot more pix there esp comparison to the AK240.

May 13, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #276 of 9,041

It looks much better than the 3D preview images. It's very small as well. I guess it's about the size of an iPod 5th gen.
They said, they will release different models of AK380. I think they will release Blue Note AK380, AK380SS, etc.

May 13, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #278 of 9,041
  Well I'd rather they stick to it so we don't have to change all our cables on top of everything.

Interesting. I come from the other perspective. Switch to something more reliable than trying to make something that doesn't work work. You already know buying an AK for balanced use is a little Russian Roulette (and it's not model to model, but unit to unit). I have 3-4 2.5mm terminated TRRS but I'd be happy to switch all of them to 3.5mm TRRS or Kobiconn (which wouldn't fit in the AK240/380) and have a reliable standard.

Edit: Note that the above is primarily 'cos some of us are compulsive upgraders. For non-upgraders, once they get a unit that works I guess it wouldn't matter that much.

May 13, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #279 of 9,041
AnakChan-good point about studio sound.

I'm ambivalent about the 2.5 jack, sucks because it sucks, but like Mim said, we already have cables terminated for it.

Anyone know what the difference will be due to the akm chips? I know implementation, but just basic sonic difference.

I like the look too.

May 13, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #280 of 9,041
  Whats that small dot at the bottom of the chassis below the screen?

That's the home button. On the AK240 it's on the bottom of the glass, on the Ak380 it's on the metal base.

May 13, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #284 of 9,041
yea unofficially.. but since all else has been confirmed to be true it probably will be around there. still waiting for the official date and pricing though.
that review above looks so delicious but considering the price for SS+amp module I guess I'll keep my 240 a bit longer..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back