Astell&Kern AK380
May 12, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #242 of 9,041
Man I just got AK240SS and I vow to my self that I will only upgrade again when the technology and sound quality increase at least double.  It must be like we can easily hear the big different from AK120 ---> AK240 ---> AK240SS.  However, this AK380 came out too close to my purchase so I will wait for a year or two on DAP and choose to upgrade my earphone next instead.  I hope though that JH come out with better Siren that build upon Layla's extremely wide soundstage presentation. 

May 13, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #243 of 9,041
  Man I just got AK240SS and I vow to my self that I will only upgrade again when the technology and sound quality increase at least double.  It must be like we can easily hear the big different from AK120 ---> AK240 ---> AK240SS.  However, this AK380 came out too close to my purchase so I will wait for a year or two on DAP and choose to upgrade my earphone next instead.  I hope though that JH come out with better Siren that build upon Layla's extremely wide soundstage presentation. 

Remember, iriver has a 30 day refund policy. You could then pay the difference and get a 380.

May 13, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #244 of 9,041
  You realize that Ferrari isn't exactly known for their reliability or media systems right?  Look, I know that AK isn't perfect, but compare to all the other DAP makers, or even electronic makers in general, they fair pretty good.

Ferrari's value comes from its looks and reputation. If you take out your AK240 on the train, people look at you like you're a freak.

May 13, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #245 of 9,041

Remember, iriver has a 30 day refund policy. You could then pay the difference and get a 380.

Too bad I didn't buy direct from iriver and it is just a little bit over 30 days also.

Edit: after looking at iriver refund policy there might really be a chance since they count the receive date not order date.

May 13, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #246 of 9,041
  A little birdy told me the following:

256GB onboard memory with one microSD slot

I expected 512 Gb !! and... wished for SD instead of microSD !!   
mad.gif
   S.T.U.P.I.D. "upgrade" 
mad.gif

And... what about  TIDAL  or  QOBUZ  High-Res Streaming ????

May 13, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #247 of 9,041
Ferrari's value comes from its looks and reputation. If you take out your AK240 on the train, people look at you like you're a freak.
!? Where are you from :p!!?? Ulan Bator!? No one's bat an eyelid when I whipped my AK240 out in the cafes in Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, & Australia.

In fact if anything I have the non-audiophile bank sales traders asking me what this "cool looking" product is and if it plays well with Bose NC headphones :).

(Not) strangely no one asked about the DX100 nor HM-901.

May 13, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #248 of 9,041
!? Where are you from :p!!?? Ulan Bator!? No one's bat an eyelid when I whipped my AK240 out in the cafes in Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, & Australia.

In fact if anything I have the non-audiophile bank sales traders asking me what this "cool looking" product is and if it plays well with Bose NC headphones :).

(Not) strangely no one asked about the DX100 nor HM-901.

Totally.

May 13, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #249 of 9,041
May 13, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #251 of 9,041
You mean comparing iRiver with Ferrari?

Just the AK side of things.  Remember, it is not a good thing to selectively apply standard to a given brand just because you like/dislike it.

May 13, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #252 of 9,041
  Just the AK side of things.  Remember, it is not a good thing to selectively apply standard to a given brand just because you like/dislike it.

But I own it. I have the AK240 and the Layla and I love the combo. I just don't like how these guys push products faster than mobile phones and am amazed at how some people are trying to pedestalise the brand. Beyond the AK240 price point, there are just many more worthwhile products. One can step up to LCD3 at the same price and for a bit more, the SR009. Or get the Layla. Try out the new planar king HE-1000. Get a nice desktop DAC from an actually reputable Hi-fi brand. Buy a decent desktop headphone amp. Put together a small speaker system - you name it. For people who already have those things, by all means go for iRiver. If not, let's just say there are so many things out there worth trying  at this price point other than, well, an iRiver, which, similar to mobile phones, can become obsolete in less than a year (in the case of AK240SS, less than a month).

May 13, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #253 of 9,041

But I own it. I have the AK240 and the Layla and I love the combo. I just don't like how these guys push products faster than mobile phones and am amazed at how some people are trying to pedestalise the brand. Beyond the AK240 price point, there are just many more worthwhile products. One can step up to LCD3 and for a bit more, the SR009 for yet a bit more. Or get the Layla. A really nice desktop DAC from an actually reputable Hi-fi brand. A decent desktop amp. Even a small speaker system - you name it. For people who already have those things, by all means go for iRiver. If not, let's just say there are so many things out there worth trying  at this price point other than, well, an iRiver. 

True, but please keep in mind that AK is a business, and as such they must roll out products at a decent rate that will appeal to buyers.  Compare to AK, JH's rep is now quickly going down the drain (specially from their custom side), even I own both Roxanne and Layla (both universal.)

May 13, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #254 of 9,041

Too bad I didn't buy direct from iriver and it is just a little bit over 30 days also. 

You don't have to buy direct from iriver to be eligible for its refund policy. If you truly want to make a change, I think you would have a strong argument given your SS is so new. Talk to your dealer and if they won't help you, call iriver directly.

I, on the other hand, will likely keep my SS that I received a week ago. The specs on the 380 are not enough to entice me to make a change. But I reserve the option to change my mind based on the feedback of how the 380 sounds ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back