Are there any comfortable Over-ear Headphones under $150???
Sep 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

xiaoyuanxp

New Head-Fier
I am a newbie and searching for a pair of over-ear headphones.

Where:
95% Home
5% Elsewhere

Genre:
RNB, Rap 45% 
Pop 40%
Other 15%

Use:
40% Music
20% Movies
40% Games

Price:
<$150, but would go for more

Key:
Comfort is the biggest issue here. I am having the V-Moda Crossfade LP2 on my head as I am writing, and they are really uncomfortable!
I had them for about 10 days and the clamping force is still so strong. Everytime I move the Crossfade LP2 away from my head, I feel so much relief. I wear glasses so it really is hurting.
However, despite the comfort, I really love the design and the SQ of the Crossfade LP2. But I have decided to return them and get a more comfortable pair.

Then I found the Philips Uptown, I also love the design. I have tried them on at a Bestbuy and was satisfied with the comfort and SQ. Unfortunately, I missed a great deal on these headphones which they were sold for only $40 w/shipping!! The deal was gone and it is unlikely that it will be back.

The next one I was interested in was the AKG K240 MKII. I think the velour pads should be very comfortable.The only concern is the lack of bass of these headphones, as I read from some reviews. If the bass is fine, then I will definitely buy these ones. I don't know if the bass can be improved by adjusting the EQ, and someone suggests that the bass may be distorted. I also looked at the Q701 because I really like its design. However, they are expensive and I think they will not sound well when directly connected to my PC or iPod touch4. That means I will have to invest more on amp/DAC.

I've also thought about the ATH m-50, but I don't know if I will feel any better with them than my LP2. In some of the reviews I read, they say that they are not that comfortable.

So I am really struggling and hope you hifiers could help.

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 12
The most comfortable cans I've used in order of which sound better to my ears:

KRK KNS-8400
Creative Aurvana Live
Sony MDR-V6

The headphone that may suit your genres best might be the CAL since others have found the KRKs a little light on bass. I find them just fine for every genre though. You might want to look into the KNS 6400 as well - I've heard they have a little more bass. However the pads on them are not as comfortable as the ones on the 8400 (you could always swap them out though). Personally I was not very impressed with the Uptowns sound-wise. The CAL is much better IMO. As for the M50s, I find the SQ is great and will work for your genres however they are ever-so-slightly bulkier than the ones I've mentioned.

Another thought: if you are into doing a few simple mods, it might be worth your while to get a Fostex T50RP. You can tune the sound to your liking (they can put out some great bass), get some SRH 840 pads, and I use a Beyer headpad that can be used for various headphones. Everything for for around $110 with great sound and comfort.

Hope this helps.

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 12
Thank you so much for your response!
I agree that the Philips uptown does not sound that impressive, but I thought it was fine considering the price on sale.

For the Fostex T50RP, I think changing the pad would not be difficult for me, but can you elaborate more on "you can tune the sound to your liking"?

I am now reading some reviews on KRK KNS-8400 and CAL.
Again, thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
I've also thought about the ATH m-50, but I don't know if I will feel any better with them than my LP2. In some of the reviews I read, they say that they are not that comfortable.

I wear glasses and the M50s are fine for me, but that's so individually based (for instance, I wear an XXL hat size).  To me, the M50s do have less clamping pressure than the Ultrasone 580s. Even though they have fantastic bass and they'll likely come up in your research, I'd stay away from the Ultrasones if clamping pressure is a concern. 

I listen to mostly EDM, hip hop, and all kinds of rock. The M50s have great bass emphasis and response, much better than my Sony MDR V6's--an all around upgrade over the V6s actually. I didn't find the stock V6s to be that comfortable when I first got them because of the thin pads. Wasn't until I upgraded to Beyer pads that they got very comfortable. So I'd recommend giving the M50s a try. 

I've also read that the KRK's bass response is not that good. No sub bass. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 12
Thank you cel4145.
My hat size is about 7 3/8 and I guess that is smaller than yours? Clamping pressure is my major concern so I will listen to your advice and definitely not buy Ultrasones. 

I think I will go for AKG K240 MKII. I know that it may be lack of bass(or not?), but I am irresistible to the velour pads. So far I have not yet seen any other headphones under $150 with velour pads. I actually have never tried velour pads but I imagine they are comfortable. From the reviews that I read about the K240s, I think no one complained it to be uncomfortable. Comfort is my priority here. I think I'll try to boost the bass with EQ but I do not know if that would help.

Sep 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Thank you cel4145.
My hat size is about 7 3/8 and I guess that is smaller than yours? Clamping pressure is my major concern so I will listen to your advice and definitely not buy Ultrasones. 

I think I will go for AKG K240 MKII. I know that it may be lack of bass(or not?), but I am irresistible to the velour pads. So far I have not yet seen any other headphones under $150 with velour pads. I actually have never tried velour pads but I imagine they are comfortable. From the reviews that I read about the K240s, I think no one complained it to be uncomfortable. Comfort is my priority here. I think I'll try to boost the bass with EQ but I do not know if that would help.

I forget my exact hat size, but it's a little bigger than that. I don't mind the Ultrasone's clamping force, but it is tighter than others. Makes sense because a tight seal is necessary to get the pressure from the midbass those things put out. 

The AKG's frequency response starts dropping right before 100hz:

If you want velour pads, there might be other headphones in your price range that have better bass response where you could switch out the pads. For example, these pads fit the MDR-V6.  And here's the frequency response for the V6. The bass doesn't start dropping off until around 50hz. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 12
The KRKs have sub-bass but it may not be as much as Ultrasones. The KRKs also have pretty good impact but not as much bass quantity as the M50s. Also I know you asked about circumaural headphones, but have you thought about upgrading to an M-80? For an on ear, they are extremely comfortable and they sound great.

As for changing pads and doing mods and such, don't sweat it. It's pretty easy once you get your hands on them. Pads usually just take a little tug and you can get them off quite easily depending on the headphone. I suggest you YouTube T50RP mods and see firsthand how people go about modding them. Tuning of the sound comes from the mods you do and how much material you use and how you use it. For example by opening up the air vents on the back of the cups you allow a bigger soundstage and add more bass. If you close the outside vents on the cup you lower the bass response.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 12
The beyers are very comfortable and would probably be good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back