Are the electrostatic headphones /amplifiers dangerous?
Sep 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #16 of 42
Quote:
There are hundreds of us, we just don't know how to respond since no one ever gets hurt. 

Honestly, it sounds like you've already made up your mind that you don't want 'stats.  That's fine, it's your choice. 

El_Doug:

I,ve acquired a SR-009 two weeks ago. So if I believe there was a serious problem I had not purchased . I just want to know more about this matter and your experiences about it

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #17 of 42
Thanks to everybody

There are many messages talking about amplifiers, comparisons, accessories etc and seemed a good idea to know more about your experience with this issue. I think is very important to know the best associated equipment, the better listening conditions but the most important is to know we have no health risks using them 

I'm glad that nobody has had problems and with some practical advices from the Stax owners, the new users -like me- can enjoy our headphones.
I'm still looking for a good amplifier to drive them.

Gracias

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #18 of 42
High voltages are dangerous.

I thought it was high amperage that was dangerous?

Anyway to the OP, there's a higher chance that you'd damage your Stax amp more than it'll damage you. Poor Arnaud damaged his SRM-727A merely from static when he ran his fingers through his hair prior to touching his amp. In addition most apartment/homes in JP don't have grounding/earth in living room/bedroom wall sockets. Only in the kitchen & laundry wall sockets.

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #19 of 42
All production e-stat amplifiers have 5 to 10 megohm current limiting resistors on the HV outputs.
This is what prevents one from becoming fried between the ears if the "conditions" are not right.
Dont listen to e-stats with wet hair and all should be fine.

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:
I thought it was high amperage that was dangerous?
Anyway to the OP, there's a higher chance that you'd damage your Stax amp more than it'll damage you. Poor Arnaud damaged his SRM-727A merely from static when he ran his fingers through his hair prior to touching his amp. In addition most apartment/homes in JP don't have grounding/earth in living room/bedroom wall sockets. Only in the kitchen & laundry wall sockets.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/AprilDunetz.shtml
Quote:
All production e-stat amplifiers have 5 to 10 megohm current limiting resistors on the HV outputs.
This is what prevents one from becoming fried between the ears if the "conditions" are not right.
Dont listen to e-stats with wet hair and all should be fine.

How much current is that? You don't need mega-ohm resistors to break a circuit. I'd rather use fuses.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #21 of 42
I know I heard about someone 007 ruined during some national meet due to wet hair. I think it was Kevin Gilmore's 007. That aside, I still cannot comprehend how wet hair can ruined a stats headphone ??

The only scenario I could think of is that ones just took shower and washed his/her hair and without drying it straight away put the headphone and sway the head left and right to make the water drip to the stator.  Sometimes I listen to my stat with damp hair after I took shower and wash my hair. And the headphone still ok......

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #23 of 42
okay.....poured water, no wonder. So I guess the wet hair scenario is quite a far fetch probability on ruining a stat headphone.....

btw, the water pouring, was it intentional ? If it was, person who did it  got to be responsible. Well, intentional or not ,he/she have to be responsible.......

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/AprilDunetz.shtml

How much current is that? You don't need mega-ohm resistors to break a circuit. I'd rather use fuses.

The resistors dont "break" the circuit like a fuse would. They limit the amount of current passing through to the headphone. (to a safe level)

As far as current ratings go, it depends on the circuit design.
KG started a thread regarding voltage and current used in stat amps. See post #9 for current ratings.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/582518/electrostatic-amplifiers-voltage-ratings

Quote:
okay.....poured water, no wonder. So I guess the wet hair scenario is quite a far fetch probability on ruining a stat headphone.....

btw, the water pouring, was it intentional ? If it was, person who did it  got to be responsible. Well, intentional or not ,he/she have to be responsible.......

When I first started using stats, I would wear them with a sweaty head after coming in from working outside.
The effects I experienced were a wee bit unsettling. Hearing static cracks and pops as well as having my hair stand on end,
with a light "skin crawling" feeling. At no time did I think that I was about to be electrocuted in a serious way,
but these effects were not conducive to "easy listening". BTW, my STAX still work fine, thank you.

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #26 of 42
Haha! Eargasm?

Yup! Get em all of the time. Time to mainline another shot of STAX!
L3000.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:
Someone poured water on the T2DIY and the SR-007.  The T2 was hot enough for it to simply evaporate but the 007 was toast. 

Well it did rust the custom ball bearing i installed on the front panel for the volume control.
I later replaced it with stainless steel.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #28 of 42
Sahara, I apologize for my weak attempt at humor. :p

As for what can hurt you, 1 milliamp @ 30v across the heart can kill you. Your amp is working with several hundred volts and current draw is fuse rating. So theoretically, there is plenty potential. A lot of professionals work with their left hand in their pocket when possible. :D

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:
Sahara, I apologize for my weak attempt at humor.
tongue.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Don't worry.I also apologize for my excessive susceptibility. I've already bought the Stax and not going to return them now. I hope to enjoy my new earphones and I am excited with the new experience with electrostatic. I will use them with dry hair and problem solved.
If hundreds Stax owners have not had problems, I hope the same thing for me...
I just wanted to know something more on this topic and know if it was a matter of interest, mythology or truth.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back