Are the electrostatic headphones /amplifiers dangerous?
Sep 24, 2012 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Sahara

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone:

I don't know if this thread goes to this forum, if not I'd like the moderator moves it to the right place, anyway I have something important to ask those who have experience with electrostatic headphones and amplifiers.

I have no experience with them and recently my first purchase have been a Stax SR - 009, for which I am still looking for amplification - I have an Octave V40SE integrated amplifier in  mint condition I want to sell or trade by an electrostatic amplifier - but that is not the issue.

I have read some opinions about the danger that can lead to the headphones and electrostatic amplifiers and the recommendation to keep away of them.

What's your opinion and experience about this question?
Are there any reason to be worried or there are just opinions without basis and perhaps motivated by ignorance or interested? Any recommendations for new users?

Thank you

Best regards

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 42
Dont open up the electrostatic amplifier and touch the electronics inside... otherwise don't wire one of the drivers with a negative bias, wash your hair in salt water, and put the cans on your wet head?  I don't know, I'm really trying here... I have no idea how this could be dangerous

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 42
Quote:
and yet no one in their right mind avoided having a TV in their homes before flat panels were invented... because theyre not dangerous products

They were not told, if only they knew
eek.gif
  But seriously, one does not poke around inside an amplifier even when it is off. There are big capacitors inside that stores charges. The most dangerous thing I do with my tube amps is biasing the output tubes while on. I use a small all metal screwdriver to adjust the trim pots knowing that if I drop it, it would cause a short.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 42
Quote:
Don't use your tongue to confirm caps have been discharged.

Has someone any more constructive contribution that touching something with the tongue or wash the hair with salt and water?

I hope that it's not a compromised question...

I like jokes but in addition to them I'd like any coherent answer also

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 42
Short answer, no unless you are talking about your wallet. If you are careless enough to use the phones with wet hair you won't die, but your investment will.

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 42
I've never read or heard of anybody getting electrocuted by their amplifier since I started this hobby and I started with speakers. I've never owned electrostatic speakers (never did because they don't bass but I had Apogee ribbon speakers).

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #10 of 42
Clarkmc2:
No. I'm talking about health terms -shocks, high voltages etc- When  I decided to buy the SR-009 I forgot the wallet.

Wet hair ,salt and water should be a problem. I live two miles away of one of the best European beaches..
smily_headphones1.gif

in the last tropical paradise of the continent.

What humidity porcentage is required to be at risk?
Are you talking seriously?
basshead.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 42
Quote:
I've never read or heard of anybody getting electrocuted by their amplifier since I started this hobby and I started with speakers. I've never owned electrostatic speakers (never did because they don't bass but I had Apogee ribbon speakers).

Thank you, wuwhere. I'm looking for the comments I've read before about this question but I can't find them. I've read thousend posts the last 2/3 weeks

I think there are not many people with electrostatics here
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #12 of 42
There are hundreds of us, we just don't know how to respond since no one ever gets hurt. 

Honestly, it sounds like you've already made up your mind that you don't want 'stats.  That's fine, it's your choice. 

Quote:
Thank you, wuwhere. I'm looking for the comments I've read before about this question but I can't find them. I've read thousend posts the last 2/3 weeks

biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I think I understand your concern now. ESL speakers are different, they are not next to your skin. Now, ESL headphones work the same way, high voltages on the stators, next to your skin.

http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/technical-white-papers/esl-speaker-wp

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 42
Clarkmc2:
No. I'm talking about health terms -shocks, high voltages etc- When  I decided to buy the SR-009 I forgot the wallet.

Wet hair ,salt and water should be a problem. I live two miles away of one of the best European beaches..:)
in the last tropical paradise of the continent.

What humidity porcentage is required to be at risk?
Are you talking seriously?:basshead:

Yes, I'm serious.

The Stax site gives the maximum humidity for my phones - the SR-007mk2 - as 90% non condensing. Yours should be similar, I would think. The risk is to the phones, not to you.

Wet hair is a separate issue. You would be safe but the headphones would likely be destroyed for all practical purposes.

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 42
BTW, those voltages coming out of the transformers are AC, after all the voltages coming out from your amplifier is AC. Here's a diagram of the Jecklin ESL hp. Notice that there are covers after the stators so that one does not get electrocuted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back