Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
May 10, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #379 of 779
Well, I got 3 pairs of medium-sized Sony Hybrids today.

Easily noticeable difference between these and the default Apple eartips.
There is a noticeable increase in the bass however I did also notice it does subdue the extension in the highs. Completely changes the sound signature of the ADDIEM tbh. In terms of bass quantity, it is perfect for me. Not too bassy, but not too bass light. Just the right amount of clean tight bass. Interestingly enough, I noticed it decreases sibilance. The treble are far too recessed for my liking though :/. Slightly lower detail (minor). Makes the ADDIEM less cold and more musical. Overall however, significant improvement over the stock eartips.

Test tracks:

Intro of Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean', Intro of Deas Vail 'Balance' (deep bass),
Pendulum 'Slam' (mid-bass, bass heavy song)
Marit Larsen 'The Chase' (high mids, treble),
New Order 'True Faith' (sibilant track)

May 11, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #380 of 779
Hmm, I didn't get that treble decrease from the Sony hybrids (large) but the bass is more to my liking with them. I do find the Complys smooth things over, as noted, and crate more of the sound you are talking about.

May 19, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #381 of 779
I received the complys T140 today. Unfortunately, because my left and right ears don't seal the same (ie, have to generally use a small tip on the right ear, and a medium on the left), I can't use them, as the sound is unbalanced. Ah well. The Hybrids will be cheaper anyway!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #382 of 779
Hmm, that sucks. I just yesterday removed the T130s (the PFE foamies) and went back to the hybrids, and the latter actually offer the best sound from the ADDIEMs, very clean, clear mids and highs to me, and enough bass to keep me happy. And you are right, the hybrids more suited for today's economic times.

May 19, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #383 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, that sucks. I just yesterday removed the T130s (the PFE foamies) and went back to the hybrids, and the latter actually offer the best sound from the ADDIEMs, very clean, clear mids and highs to me, and enough bass to keep me happy. And you are right, the hybrids more suited for today's economic times.

I really liked the T140. The soundstage seems to be larger, but getting the right seal seems problematic. I'll try different positions (ie, IEM a bit less in the ear), see what I can come up with!

May 26, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #385 of 779
I finally received my comply t-140s (large) in the mail and at this point, they are the only tips that actually stay in my ears while I work out. Now the question will be -- how long can I make them last? Really like them so far though.

May 27, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #386 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrjohns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally received my comply t-140s (large) in the mail and at this point, they are the only tips that actually stay in my ears while I work out. Now the question will be -- how long can I make them last? Really like them so far though.

I wonder how the sweat affects the Comply foam. I gave up on listening to music while running a long time ago.

May 28, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #387 of 779
Can someone shine some light on how these stack up to the UE Super.fi 5 Pro? They both use dual BAs, and because I used to have the UE SF5 Pro, I'd like to know what I can expect of these...

May 29, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #389 of 779
Wow, I just got these today. I am definitely impressed. They are a little bass anemic IMO but have very crisp highs that make up for it. Overall SQ is below the UE SF5 Pro if I can remember correctly but for the $40 that I paid for them, they are a much better value. The best part is the fit. The small tips fit me perfectly. They are possibly the most comfortable IEMs I've never used.

They will be my new "everyday, beater" phones.
k701smile.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
darthsmile.gif

May 29, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #390 of 779
Olives still are the best tip I have used with these, although I haven't used the Sony's. Might be worth a try if you have them. And don't stick them far on the stem, just on the filter part so they stick out, at least that works great for me. Good bass and good treble, if you don't stick them too far in or have them too far out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back