Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Jun 1, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #391 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by djh01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how the sweat affects the Comply foam. I gave up on listening to music while running a long time ago.

Sweat has not affected the fit, but only time will tell if they break down quicker because of it.

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #392 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by demo1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are a little bass anemic IMO but have very crisp highs that make up for it.

With default tips. With Sony Hybrid tips, the bass comes out way more.
The default tips suck tbh.

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #393 of 779
Has anyone had problems with the remote failing? Mine still had their full sound but for some reason the remote is not working. I would take them into apple but I got them off eBay so I doubt there is any warranty.

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #396 of 779
For the price I got them for ($50 USD), they're totally worth their price (at least IMO). Not as much bass as the Turbines, but the remote/mic itself is very useful for my iPod Touch.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #397 of 779
To me, it's all about the tips. I could never get used to the OEMs, they are just okay. But with the Comply T130s, the iso is better and the sounds (bass too) is improved. Love these phones.

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #398 of 779
Got my first headphone setup a couple weeks ago. Sansa Clip + ADDIEMs. This is mostly for the gym. Spent $85 total. Here is my review of the Clip + ADDIEMs together. I loaded the Clip with FLACs for evaluation...

Some background: Been a long time audiophile, but with speakers. I have a fairly hi-end two-channel system for music and a dedicated home theater setup. Anyway, I thought a relatively inexpensive pair of phones would be a good launching point before buying some serious IEMs.

Sound: Overall sound is fairly balanced and smooth. Very easy to pop these on and instantly get drawn into the music. The transient edges in the bass region are rounded off a bit, less of a problem in the middle range. This leads to a somewhat relaxed presentation, but I would not call these warm phones. The highs are decently extended if not totally grain free and lacking some air. Midrange is open and fairly transparent, but lacks a bit of density that I hear in higher end speakers. The midrange sounds a bit softer than the highs because of this and perhaps because the highs have a quickness and hardness to them that the midrange does not.

I am able to achieve a pretty good seal with stock tips, so I find the bass adequate in level. However, while the bass is not boomy, it is not "quick" bass. I find that the decay is a touch slow in certain rock recordings, and this causes the pace and timing of the sound to fall apart a little bit in complex passages. Perhaps there is a slight lack in punch as well. Not sure if this is the fault of the Sansa clip. Curiously, I don't find this a distracting problem with pop and r&b recordings, but only with live instruments. The analogy I offer is when you pluck a rubber band and how it takes a little bit to come to a stop. Tonally, the bass is slightly hollow sounding. Still, I appreciate that the bass is fairly neutral in level. I do not detect an overly ripe midbass.

Ultimately, I am very happy with these phones, considering the $35 street price discussed earlier in this thread. For $85 total (including Sansa Clip), this is really a nice little package. If I am getting picky, I would like some more control and punch in the bass region and some more density in the mid range region. Wouldn't expect improvements to the other areas in this price range. I'd be curious as to how these compare with other < $100 IEMs and how they compare to $200-300 IEMs.

Microphonics: Not sure if that is the correct term. Anyway, the transmitted sounds are quite noisy and distracts from the music. However, the problem is almost entirely solved by simply wrapping the cord around the top of the ear.

Jun 11, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #399 of 779
Nice review, and very accurate. These phones certainly don't rate as high as the Westone 3s I own, but to me, it's either top shelf or the "best of the bottom" (ADDIEMs, the Metro.Fis I just got for $25, a pair of Super.Fi 3s I got for $35). The in-between priced phones ($100-$250) don't interest me much any more. Why? Because I think these reduced-priced phones are pretty close to the mid-priced phones SQ-wise, but a lot less scratch (and no problem if they are lost or stolen).

Kind of like restaurants. My wife and I have decided it's either the best places on special occasions, or the BYOB neighborhood joints that serve very good food at the best prices. When we hit the mid-priced places, we always feel we should have either been at the less costly spots, or cooked at home with good ingredients. Not sure of that analogy makes sense, but I am trying to say that all of a sudden, there are some very cheap options to fill a SQ niche. There have been Chinese brands in that area (Yuin PK3s are a good one), but those were not higher-priced phones reduced, but came out as low-cost options, and had some QC issues (not the Yuins, but others).

Anyway, glad you caught this wave. I have two Clips, and like them alot. I also pair them with the iBasso T4, a very small footprint amp that can take the ADDIEMs a little higher SQ0-wise.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #401 of 779
Not sure, but on balance, I like the ADDIEMs so far, but I have to do more listening with the AL uhp336, aka Super.Fi 3, which just arrived today. I also realize that these phones are no new discovery here, but to me, these prices make them worth a second look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back