Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
May 7, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #361 of 779
Yeah, I have the sony hybrid tips and I think there is ZERO sound quality difference. However, due to the shape or material, or whatever, the hybrid tips stay put in my ear whereas the Apple tips slowly slide out no matter how I position them, forcing me to readjust every five minutes.

May 7, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #362 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by oregon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I have the sony hybrid tips and I think there is ZERO sound quality difference. However, due to the shape or material, or whatever, the hybrid tips stay put in my ear whereas the Apple tips slowly slide out no matter how I position them, forcing me to readjust every five minutes.

I updated my initial thread to give some details about what I feel about hybrids. Apparently apple's transparent and softer rubber behaved differently from Hybrid and olives. Hybrid and olives all make ADDIEM sounds less crystal clear, and both allow more bass.

May 7, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #364 of 779
Well, today I tried something I had not tried before, using Comply tips, foamies, on the ADDIEMs, and I really like the sound. I have a bunch of P Series tips I got with the Westones and have collected over time, so I jammed those onto the ADDIEM sound tube, and wow, really brings out the bass and feels very comfy. I am using the mediums, which are short, I think. Not even sure what they call them. Anyway, sound very good, and sort of mute the mids and highs, not in a bad way, and bring up the bass. I was listening with the Zune and the T4, bass boost on and gain on. I am going to try the same tips with other DAPs, including the Touch 2G, of course. I believe the T130 Complys, made for the PFEs, would work too. I might have tried those earlier, but didn't like them. They are a little less tapered than the P Series Complys.

May 7, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #365 of 779
Or T400s over a spacer
wink.gif
See here and here.

Smooths them out quite a bit, but I think it has to do with depth of insertion. When I jammed them in as far as I was inserting with my olives, they sounded the same.

May 7, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #366 of 779
I am interested in trying these. I have tried the sony hybrids but the largest does not seem to be quite big enough unfortunately. The largest apple tips seem to be the right size, but they do fall out easily especially while I am working out.

Took a look at the Comply site and they do have the t-140 series listed as fitting with the ADDIEMs.

Do you think they are large enough considering the above?
What is the best place to get them?

May 7, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #367 of 779
I think they are cheaper if you get the large T130s at the Audeo site, if you are CONUS. $13 shipped for 3 pair, large. The T140s (listed as a match for the ADDIEMs) are the same sound tube diameter, but a little narrower on the end, I think. I used both the T130s and the P series fine, takes a little to get the P Series on the nozzle, but not too bad. Also, there are the standard P Series Complys, which are very large. Check them out on the Comply site. The P Series tips will go on the ADDIEMs, no problem.

May 7, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #368 of 779
Breaking news ...

I just spoke to a guy over the phone at Hearing Components (Comply) who suggested waiting until this weekend to order because they will be updating their web site with small, medium and large t-140 tips.

BTW, this company is in Minneapolis, where I am sitting now, but they don't have a way to sell them to me if I walk in.
frown.gif

May 7, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #369 of 779
After finding replacement tips to no avail, today I just tried the unthinkable! I always use med or large stock tips because I think the smallest one just won't seal. But then again as many people experienced, the largest one, although give a tighter seal, always fall off....

So, frustated as I am: The Sony hybrids are nowhere to be found on UK market place, the UE superfi tips simply are to big... I gave the smallest tips one more go, thinking oh well just push it deeper!

Well guess what! It fills my canals precisely, so the seal is now tight yet not uncomfortable. Compared to the largest tips I always use, those always feel rather cramped and felt like they gonna keep pushing out due to pressure my earholes applied to them. True, they do seal great but it's unnatural.

And thus this little tips seal the deal for me. Now my ADDIEM simply unleashes its full potential!

The mid shines more and the bass is thumping! The sound is way better than the largest tips since now you really hear all frequency the way it's meant to be listened! I always have that nagging feeling when I shuffle between med/large tips. I always think the med tips give me better med-high, which was weird. Now I know why.

Give it a go if you are in my shoes, it should help, but then again your canal shapes may differ from mine!

May 7, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #370 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well guess what! It fills my canals precisely, so the seal is now tight yet not uncomfortable.

I had the same exact experience with the Q-Jays. Thinking that bigger tips = more seal, I was getting frustrated at not getting a seal with them, using the medium/large tips, where with other IEMs, I would, and would get a good seal. So I tried the Xtra Small ones and lo and behold, perfect seal...

Mind you, since then, I found out that my left ear doesn't seal quite the same as my right one, so I usually use the small one on the right, and the medium on the left!

May 10, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #371 of 779
Deleted.

May 10, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #372 of 779
Out of curiosity I bought a 3 pack of T140 today. Will post my impressions when I receive them, compared to the Sony hybrid tips. I'm not especially looking that much to try them out as I never really had an easy time with foamies before (and if they also turn out to reduce the mids and highs a bit, I might be turned off), but I never tried any from Comply - so why not try them out now
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #373 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by phytonix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I updated my initial thread to give some details about what I feel about hybrids. Apparently apple's transparent and softer rubber behaved differently from Hybrid and olives. Hybrid and olives all make ADDIEM sounds less crystal clear, and both allow more bass.

I disagree and think the [large] stock tips are less clear. See here. However my view may change with more playing around with angle and insertion depth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After finding replacement tips to no avail, today I just tried the unthinkable! I always use med or large stock tips because I think the smallest one just won't seal. But then again as many people experienced, the largest one, although give a tighter seal, always fall off....

So, frustated as I am: The Sony hybrids are nowhere to be found on UK market place, the UE superfi tips simply are to big... I gave the smallest tips one more go, thinking oh well just push it deeper!

Well guess what! It fills my canals precisely, so the seal is now tight yet not uncomfortable. Compared to the largest tips I always use, those always feel rather cramped and felt like they gonna keep pushing out due to pressure my earholes applied to them. True, they do seal great but it's unnatural.

And thus this little tips seal the deal for me. Now my ADDIEM simply unleashes its full potential!

The mid shines more and the bass is thumping! The sound is way better than the largest tips since now you really hear all frequency the way it's meant to be listened! I always have that nagging feeling when I shuffle between med/large tips. I always think the med tips give me better med-high, which was weird. Now I know why.

Give it a go if you are in my shoes, it should help, but then again your canal shapes may differ from mine!

OK, I now will have to try the medium silicon tips to see how that sounds, maybe even the small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back