Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Apr 27, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #301 of 779
Actually, a lot of pop I can't hear a difference between 192Kbps and 320Kbps using my best setup Prodigy -> IE8s. But there is also the time factor as I don't want to test every song, so for me I usually set the bitrate by genre, age of the album (as a lot of older CDs I have are not well mastered), amount of listening time the music will get. An example of the last one is Queensryche, Empire. I don't think there is a difference between 320k and FLAC, but I still have it in FLAC just because. I do notice a diffence with some symphonic metal, such as Nightwish, but it isn't huge. Maybe when I get a better amp I will be able to tell!

That being said, I can hear less of a difference with the ADDIEM between sources. A thought is if you have the HD space, convert everything to FLAC and then encode from there to your desired bitrate so you can easily select.

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #304 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or in his case, ALAC to 192 AAC or whatever.

Yes, what you said
biggrin.gif

Another thought is matching the equipment with the source...how much improvement will there be with a DAP HP out via ADDIEM vs. a computer with a good DAC and amp via high end headphones/IEMs? Lower bitrate may be plenty sufficient. Not to mention the difference between what people hear.

Apr 28, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #305 of 779
Well, I got my ADDIEM in the mail yesterday. I was impressed the first time I bought the phones, and yesterday I was still very impressed. Compared to my Klipsch Custom 3, the ADDIEM are not better at anything but the treble department. I feel like they are even more analytical than the Klipsch's, which I like. Bass is just enough for my taste and sounds very natural to me. And the fact that I got these babies for $35 just makes the phones sound so much better to me
biggrin.gif
Using these on my 7th gen iPod with the remote is a HUGE plus. If you are a 2nd iPod Touch or 7th gen iPod owner, there is no doubt you should get a pair of these. If you have other mp3 players, the ADDIEM are still one of the best buys for sub-$100 headphones.

Apr 28, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #306 of 779
Good to hear another happy Head-Fi'er with that ebay deal. So far, I've ordered 4 pair, but only one for me (daughter, friend and fellow Head-Fi'er who has no Paypal). I agree, the price to performance ratio at $35 is off the charts. It does make them sound even better, doesn't it?

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #308 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by NsiderTalon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what's the burn-in time for these things?

Personally, I never noticed any changes with any IEM as far as burn-in goes, and didn't notice anything with the ADDIEM either
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #310 of 779
Has anyone been having were issues with ear wax on the metal grate/filter?

Today I thought my left earbud had died because it was extremely muted and made weird clicks when I moved the cord around. I stopped the music, unplug the phones, took off the tip, cleaned it, plugged back into my iPod, and now it's working like normal...

Is the muting and clicking caused by the earwax, or could it have been failing?

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #312 of 779
I just started my foray into IEMs with the pfes, and I am considering getting the apple IEMs too as they are very tempting at the price.

Was wondering if anyone who has both the pfes and the apple IEMs can give a comparison - seeing how pfes only have 1 BA driver, and is priced higher than the apple IEMs which are dual drivers?

Does the dual drivers help the apple IEMs, and is the sound signature different?

Apr 29, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #313 of 779
I was actually wondering if the weird muting I was experiencing was caused by one of the drivers failing... basically it just got really quiet in 1 ear, and if I wiggled the cord or the bud so that its in what I'm assuming is the "right place" I could get normal sound, but it was very difficult to keep in the "right place". Can just one of the drivers fail, and would it cause symptoms such as muting?

Apr 29, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #314 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by oregon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was actually wondering if the weird muting I was experiencing was caused by one of the drivers failing... basically it just got really quiet in 1 ear, and if I wiggled the cord or the bud so that its in what I'm assuming is the "right place" I could get normal sound, but it was very difficult to keep in the "right place". Can just one of the drivers fail, and would it cause symptoms such as muting?

I'm quite sure the problem is in the headphone jack of you iPod/iPhone, just try the ADDIEM's on another source to make sure
wink.gif

Just wiggle the plug on and of few time, it should sort itself. At least it did on my iPhone 3G
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back